Injection sites - lumps?

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been told not to use my arms for my injections because they aren't big enough so to use my stomach and legs which I always have..but for the past 8 months or so every time I inject without a doubt I get huge painful lumps in both my legs and my stomach, I inject 5 times a day but I feel I'm running out of options as to where to do it as it's just too painful, the hospital at my last appointment gave me smaller needles and said they should help but if anything it's even worse..anyone else have this problem and recommend anything to stop the lumps?

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used BD micro fine ultra needles and have had no problems with them
88e97e06b226450354b9da5b751f1bcf.jpg

Reactions: KezG

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
34f2b9ab5044c7a817a2d0a0f3f5bf00.jpg
I used to be on the 5mm ones of those but now they have given me these and there's still now change

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you get lumps from both your insulins?

Are they fatty lumps or kind of temporary lumps under the skin immediately after you do your injection?

I recommend the BD needles too.

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes both insulins I use cause my lumps, they are like hard white lumps, that's sore to touch and last a few days after..and sometimes they don't show for a few hours after taking my insulin, I used to be on the BD needles but when they put me on the smaller they changed me to these

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I use BD needles too... find they're the best. :) I hope these lumps ease up for you. I have the fatty lumps which I avoid when injecting... also doing 5 injections per day on average.

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@jordanneshort sounds worrying hope you find a solution soon. For the record I use the same BD microfine 4mm needles.. not many probs at all tho I have only once had a lump on injecting. I had a burning sensation too when I administered my background insulin of 12 units.. I guess I caught a vein.. the lump was sore and lasted about 24 hrs and left a yellow bruise that is still present now. I suggest you speak to your nurse or GP. There will be a way to sort it out.

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes both insulins I use cause my lumps, they are like hard white lumps, that's sore to touch and last a few days after..and sometimes they don't show for a few hours after taking my insulin, I used to be on the BD needles but when they put me on the smaller they changed me to these

Hmm, I don't know what to suggest then. The only other things are to not re-use needles (which you probably aren't doing anyway) and to watch your injection technique.

I'm on a pump and have been for years so let me tag a few injection users for you who may be able to help @donnellysdogs @robert72 @mahola @Jaylee and @noblehead and @himtoo too as I think they did injections longer than me.

Reactions: robert72

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I try to avoid areas where it's lumpy or feels a bit fatty, I also use a new needles each time I inject I don't re use them or put them through my clothing, I'm starting to think that maybe the pump would be a better option for me..sometimes it hurts to wear trousers or underwear because of the sites in my stomach :(

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @jordanneshort - I've been injecting for almost 45 years and the only thing I can think of from your description is that the insulin is getting trapped in the layers of skin rather than getting underneath to the sub dermal fatty layer. Are you getting the needle fully in, or is it too painful to do that?

Reactions: azure

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got the needle straight onto the skin? that sounds like you might be injecting into the skin so you get a ball of insulin in the skin, that might happen if your holding the needle at an angle, rather that just 90 degrees straight on so you inject under the skin.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @jordanneshort ,

40 years of injecting for me.
Are you "pinching up" for the injection? And is your pen at a 90(ish) degree angle to the skin?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Crikey... I really feel for you.

I do, very rarely get a bump of insulin, a white lump directly after a jab. I really massage this in with a finger if it does happen because I found if I dont my levels will go high before the lump disappears.

I have always had the BD needles as my hospital nurses have said that we actually deserve the best quality for the intense amount of injecting all our lives that we have to do.

Have you always been on the same insulin, perhaps try a different one?

My favourite place was my bum. I have used my stomach less than 12 times in 30+ years as nothing absorbs well from it. I think its because I havent got much fat, more muscle.
It was the only place that had a bit of fat....

I am lean and rarely change my needles /stabbers etc and still got no lumps or bumps at 30 years +.

I would definitely see your consultant and see if tgey can request your GP to go back to BD needles. Try your bum cheeks. Insulin can be slower to absorb in cheeks so you may need to change/tweak your ratios

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I am sticking the needle straight into the skin and fully in, I think it may be getting trapped under my skin but don't understand why it keeps doing it, I try to massage a little around each area after taking the injection out to try and prevent the lumps but it doesn't seem to work, I also pinch the skin a little, but Ive also tried not doing so as that what the hospital told me but that doesn't work either

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I am sticking the needle straight into the skin and fully in, I think it may be getting trapped under my skin but don't understand why it keeps doing it, I try to massage a little around each area after taking the injection out to try and prevent the lumps but it doesn't seem to work, I also pinch the skin a little, but Ive also tried not doing so as that what the hospital told me but that doesn't work either

This is just a crazy thought..?! (So go easy on me.)
Are you peirced? Have you had any issues with a piercing in the past, if so??
Just wondering if it's some sort of "metal allergy" related?

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have quite a few piercings so it's not a metal allergy..and I will never use my bum, I wouldn't be able to sit down

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have quite a few piercings so it's not a metal allergy..and I will never use my bum, I wouldn't be able to sit down

As I said, I have a pump but I use my bum for cannulas. It's the top bit I use - that bit which would be just under the waist band of your trousers at the back. That is, not the bit you sit on.

Silly thought maybe, but have you actually tried longer needles? When I was on MDI, I used 6mm needles, even though I'm very slim. I pinched up (like 'pinching an inch') and stuck the needle in at 90 degrees. The only occasions when I had something like what you're describing was when I was in a rush, injected and withdrew the pen immediately.

So consider a slightly longer needle perhaps? Worth a try, at least.

Reactions: robert72

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm yes thankyou for the advice :) I have an appointment on Feb the 14th so I'll talk to the doctors about maybe trying a longer needle instead of the shorter ones they put me on

Reactions: azure and robert72

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

That is odd, it does sound like some kind of allergy either to the insulin's or needles.

Some (possibly all) pen needles come with a lubricant to make injecting less painful, if your OK with metal piercings it may be the lubricant that your allergic to.

But do try your bum, I always injected my basal insulin in there when on MDI.