Why do T1 T2 suffer from gastro problems?

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
bloating, gas, cramping and burping

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as I'm aware, it's primarily down to damaged nerves. Just like your feet can become an issue, so can your insides. I guess there are a lot of nerve endings in there which can potentially get damaged.

The good news is that proper BG management can help to heavily minimise the risk of any nerve damage occurring in the first place. Diabetes is an unfortunate lottery however, so some may be more susceptible to gastrointestinal issues than others. It's just the roll of the dice...

I found this for you, might answer a few of your questions regarding gastro issues:)

http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabetes/V18N42000/pg148.htm

EDIT to add - I don't know whether any of the above is applicable to things such as wind, cramps, bloating, etc...

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
And also pain on the right lower part of the belly

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do not know if you eat wheat but if you do then try eliminating it from your diet for a few weeks and see if you feel any better.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, there, you need to go and see your gp, as your stomach problems may be caused by a few things, so testing and a proper diagnosis would be best.
I have coeliac and that is an auto-immune condition, if you need to be tested for this, you must eat gluten and wheat or you will get a false test result ( which comes in two parts) there are also allergies too, lactose and soya, to name just a couple and IBS can be a painful condition.

Reactions: leong

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as I'm aware, it's primarily down to damaged nerves. Just like your feet can become an issue, so can your insides. I guess there are a lot of nerve endings in there which can potentially get damaged.

The good news is that proper BG management can help to heavily minimise the risk of any nerve damage occurring in the first place. Diabetes is an unfortunate lottery however, so some may be more susceptible to gastrointestinal issues than others. It's just the roll of the dice...

I found this for you, might answer a few of your questions regarding gastro issues:)

http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabetes/V18N42000/pg148.htm

EDIT to add - I don't know whether any of the above is applicable to things such as wind, cramps, bloating, etc...

Now this is very interesting as I very rarely had any problems in this area, but some 6 months or so before I was diagnosed I started to have problems, I'm not going to specify but needless to say since diagnosis things haven't improved. I did think that the Metformin may help a little but alas no. On my last visit to the nurse I mentioned my issue and she said she did not know if the diabetes was the cause. I think I need to read into this further as i'm not sure from reading this that my diabetes has been serious enough to cause this so soon, even if it started to developed six month before I found out I had it. Saying this though when I asked the Doc how long he thought I'd been T2 he said I did not know

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now this is very interesting as I very rarely had any problems in this area, but some 6 months or so before I was diagnosed I started to have problems, I'm not going to specify but needless to say since diagnosis things haven't improved. I did think that the Metformin may help a little but alas no. On my last visit to the nurse I mentioned my issue and she said she did not know if the diabetes was the cause. I think I need to read into this further as i'm not sure from reading this that my diabetes has been serious enough to cause this so soon, even if it started to developed six month before I found out I had it. Saying this though when I asked the Doc how long he thought I'd been T2 he said I did not know
One thing worth mentioning is that it's very easy (or convenient for some medical professionals) to put any problems or issues that us diabetes have, down to diabetes...

We're all human (diabetic or not) and we all have problems, some are attributed to diabetes - some are just luck or the draw. I'm sure further tests, close monitoring of your HbA1c results and the other U+E bloods will be able to ascertain whether diabetes is; or is not; directly related to your current problems.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I'd see a doctor then. Best to be sure what it is. It might not be related to diabetes at all.

If it's just general bloating, etc, I find probiotics helpful.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I completely agree with wheat as well as all other grains for me. Dairy as well. I feel like rubbish when I eat them. I never ate soy but have heard from many it causes gastric upset.

Too many veggies for me as well !!! I need small meals to avoid the upsets. Too much fiber for some as well.

Just things to look at your diet for.

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
I have been doctors I take pantoprazole once aday

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Gastro problems are not common with diabetes so you need yo discuss other possibilities with GP. Note that Metformin (plain version) often prescribed for diabetes can cause gastric/bowel issues.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Veg upsets my tummy but I've had a burst appendix interfer with my intestines. I love protein but too much gives me high bgs as much as carbs.

leong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
not putting weight
Veg upsets my tummy but I've had a burst appendix interfer with my intestines. I love protein but too much gives me high bgs as much as carbs.
Yes protein shakes does it to me too

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

For me, that turned out to be appendicitis. Best see a GP because there's probably 1001 things it could be down to and not necessarily anything to do with diabetes.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If it's new. A change in diet can upset people, diabetic or not. If you are eating something you don't normally eat or starting a new dietary approach and go full throttle into it, instead of easing your way into changes, that can also have adverse affects. Sometimes it can just be something simple. Or not. Right side pain for me simply means too much fiber.