Lidl's High Protein Rolls

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
After reading about the lidl rolls I went to get some this afternoon and they had all gone! A man working there said they go really quickly, so I have to go to lidl tomorrow morning at 8am! On my day off work :(

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After reading about the lidl rolls I went to get some this afternoon and they had all gone! A man working there said they go really quickly, so I have to go to lidl tomorrow morning at 8am! On my day off work :(
They were on the top shelf in an open basket in my local Lidl. People were bending down to get cakes on the lower levels, and breathing all over them. Take them from the bottom of the basket and definitely go early.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Ours are on a top shelf! Away from kids touching them. But I will certainly shop at the bottom of the basket!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In my Lidl the baskets are raised up so high that I have to stretch to get to the rolls - a couple of times I have had to jiggle the basket to get the rolls to slide down within reach, so I am pretty confident that they have not been got at.

Reactions: Freema

Dark Horse

Good evening and thank you @daisyduck my friend much appreciated:)

6. Diabetes management

For lowering blood sugar and reversing insulin resistance there’s arguably no better natural treatment than adding turmeric into your diet.

In 2009, Biochemistry and Biophysical Research Communications published a study out of Auburn University that explored how supplementing with turmeric can help reverse diabetes.

The study discovered that curcumin in turmeric is literally 400 times more potent than Metformin (a common diabetes drug) in activating AMPK which improves insulin sensitivity which can help reverse Type 2 Diabetes.

In addition to correcting the causes of diabetes, curcumin has also been proven to help reverse many of the issues related to insulin resistance and hyperglycemia.

Take, for instance, diabetic neuropathy and retinopathy. One of the most common complications of diabetes is damaged blood vessels which cause blindness.

A study found that supplementing with curcumin can delay this horrible complication of diabetes because of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Can you give the links to the studies you quote? The only study I could find in 2009 of curcumin by Auburn University was this:- http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006291X0901571X However, this was a 'test-tube' study of the effect of curcumin on isolated liver cancer cells and says nothing about the effects of curcumin when ingested in the form of turmeric as a) the dose of curcumin in turmeric may be too small to be significant and b) the human body has many interacting feedback mechanisms which mean that changes that occur in the test tube can be nullified.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning @Dark Horse my friend,is this the link you mean:)

https://draxe.com/turmeric-benefits/

Just returned from Lidl's purchased 18 more rolls,had to get there at 8am as they always sell out,have just put them in the freezer,but toasted one cut in half with 2 poached eggs:)

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Just returned from Lidl's purchased 18 more rolls,had to get there at 8am as they always sell out,have just put them in the freezer,but toasted one cut in half with 2 poached eggs:)
Good morning Wiseowl, my favourite breakfast - Lidl roll toasted with poached eggs (try it with ham or some tomatoes too, gorgeous). I bought 14 rolls yesterday, I emptied the basket.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had high hopes, I grabbed a few today, rushed home and was completely underwhelmed. I hope they are an acquired taste because on first impressions I just don't like the taste or texture. Back to the drawing board for a bread alternative I guess.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had high hopes, I grabbed a few today, rushed home and was completely underwhelmed. I hope they are an acquired taste because on first impressions I just don't like the taste or texture. Back to the drawing board for a bread alternative I guess.
Did you toast them? I find them plasticky tasting if uncooked, when toasted they taste completely different and "come alive"

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Slice them in half and toast them, then add lots of butter to melt down inside. Delicious.

I don't eat them un-toasted, but I believe some people stick them in the microwave briefly a this softens them.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just warmed one up in the nuke for ten seconds and then lashed it with a bucket load of kerrygold.... Much much better, thanks.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went on a Lidl run today, I'll be blowed, the protein rolls i got are almost twice the size! The first time ever my local store has stocked the larger size rolls. I bought them all, 14 I think. Weighed one, 105 gr.
They finally got the message and bought back the bigger ones thank goodness....I was eating 2 small ones for ages but now they are all huge again.....yum!!!

Reactions: Jamesuk9

Dark Horse

Good morning! (OK, evening now. ;-)) Thank you, that link is helpful as it shows me where you're quoting from but unfortunately, although the article mentions a study by researchers at Auburn University, it doesn't seem to provide a link to it in the list of references at the end.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was feeling particularly eccentric this weekend and made a kind of eggs benedict using the bottom half of a toasted protein roll, some thick cut gammon ham, poached egg and hollandaise sauce. I have to say, it was pretty awesome.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was feeling particularly eccentric this weekend and made a kind of eggs benedict using the bottom half of a toasted protein roll, some thick cut gammon ham, poached egg and hollandaise sauce. I have to say, it was pretty awesome.
I can see with a bit of imagination they can become part of daily diet. Surprisingly filling too... 3 rashers, 2 eggs a sausage and half a roll have well and truly filled me up.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see with a bit of imagination they can become part of daily diet. Surprisingly filling too... 3 rashers, 2 eggs a sausage and half a roll have well and truly filled me up.[/QUOTE
You could always check out Liv life bread too,
it's tiny size but under 4g carbs per slice. Hi-lo is okay too, a tad bigger and about 5g a slice.

Reactions: Jamesuk9