Fallen off wagon

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Have fallen of the wagon today in a big way my food addiction monster woke and raised its ugly head demanding to be fed. Breakfast was lovely but after a couple of hours it started I began to have the compulsion to eat everything I should'nt but I ate cake & cake & cake, cheese toastie on white bread, I told myself not to do it they were for my husband to take to work and I kept telling myself this will kill me, felt the disgust, the self loathing just wish I knew why I did it, surely amputation, blindness stroke & all the other effects would be enough to make me stop but no the monster in me just carried on.
I cant even say I enjoyed it as I shovel it down so quick I dont even taste it, strangest of all I dont even like cake just happened to be there.
I wish I knew why I do this, everytime I loose some weight for a few weeks this happens its as if my brain goes into panic mode, I have been so good but whatever it is that makes makes me self destruct has now passed however this is the stage where I usually dont get back on the wagon but tomorrow is another day and I will get on the wagon again as I can no longer afford not too.
Feel so disgusted and ashamed but better for speaking about it.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Have fallen of the wagon today in a big way my food addiction monster woke and raised its ugly head demanding to be fed. Breakfast was lovely but after a couple of hours it started I began to have the compulsion to eat everything I should'nt but I ate cake & cake & cake, cheese toastie on white bread, I told myself not to do it they were for my husband to take to work and I kept telling myself this will kill me, felt the disgust, the self loathing just wish I knew why I did it, surely amputation, blindness stroke & all the other effects would be enough to make me stop but no the monster in me just carried on.
I cant even say I enjoyed it as I shovel it down so quick I dont even taste it, strangest of all I dont even like cake just happened to be there.
I wish I knew why I do this, everytime I loose some weight for a few weeks this happens its as if my brain goes into panic mode, I have been so good but whatever it is that makes makes me self destruct has now passed however this is the stage where I usually dont get back on the wagon but tomorrow is another day and I will get on the wagon again as I can no longer afford not too.
Feel so disgusted and ashamed but better for speaking about it.
Its a tricky illness .... Sending big hugs over the forum... We all make mistakes from time to time. Xxxxx

Reactions: Bellatom

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is such as strong association between rewards and food - it is not surprising that there is the urge to indulge from time to time. I try to always have something good to eat which is low carb, roast chicken or other meats, a couple of bags of frozen mixed veges - they can be put together into a pressure cooker and a hearty stew made in minutes which is very filling and gives great contentment as it is associated with home and warm evenings by the fire. Even faster is scrambled egg with cheese melted into it, or cauliflower cheese, with grated cheese rather than a floury sauce - made in the microwave from frozen cauliflower.
Try not to dwell on poor decisions, just plan to have something you can eat without feeling guilty. The Lidl protein rolls seem to be very good, and they fill that niche when nothing else will do to wrap around a beefburger for instance.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aw, I feel for you @Bellatom, I've also had a bit of carb creep recently because of Christmas, New Year & family birthdays in January, and am struggling to get back on track. :bigtears:
Please don't beat yourself up - we've all been there, probably several times, but please, please, please, DO get back on your wagon & don't just give up. Sending you lots of cheers and encouragement ((( Hugs )))

Reactions: mo53 and Bellatom

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
There is such as strong association between rewards and food - it is not surprising that there is the urge to indulge from time to time. I try to always have something good to eat which is low carb, roast chicken or other meats, a couple of bags of frozen mixed veges - they can be put together into a pressure cooker and a hearty stew made in minutes which is very filling and gives great contentment as it is associated with home and warm evenings by the fire. Even faster is scrambled egg with cheese melted into it, or cauliflower cheese, with grated cheese rather than a floury sauce - made in the microwave from frozen cauliflower.
Try not to dwell on poor decisions, just plan to have something you can eat without feeling guilty. The Lidl protein rolls seem to be very good, and they fill that niche when nothing else will do to wrap around a beefburger for instance.
When this happens its instant the needs start then followed by the compulsion to just eat anything the cakes were just happened to be there other times it would be crisps, nuts anything thats there ready cooked whats worse I am not hungry or bored just dont understand it but glad I can finally after all the years tell someone as like anything always done in secret and what I consume I replace before anyone knows.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bellatom put it behind you and move on. We've all done it and it's called being human.

What sort of snacks have you been eating on low carb? Can you make a list of these and make sure you have them in your house? Personally I go for berries and cream or just a coffee and cream. (That isn't to say I haven't wolfed down a pack of crisps with my lunch time salad!)

What about making one of @Brunneria 's delicious sounding low carb cakes - you could munch without guilt then.

Reactions: Bellatom and zand

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@Bellatom put it behind you and move on. We've all done it and it's called being human.

What sort of snacks have you been eating on low carb? Can you make a list of these and make sure you have them in your house? Personally I go for berries and cream or just a coffee and cream. (That isn't to say I haven't wolfed down a pack of crisps with my lunch time salad!)

What about making one of @Brunneria 's delicious sounding low carb cakes - you could munch without guilt then.
None since the diabetes diagnosed before this could be anything that was to hand from cold meats, crisps, ice creams if nothing handy have been known to defrost , its only happens when I doing well if it was when I had dieted and not lost I could understand it. Anyway thank you for your advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Tomorrow is another day, don't get stressed. I know all that sounds rubbish, but you can do this. Would your husband join you in a low carb lifestyle so you can get rid of all temptation?

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It happens from time to time yesterdays work was 15 hours, by the time got home i was too tired to go shopping, no food in the house for lunch snd another non stop day resulted in a KFC for lunch, i knew i shouldn't but it was easy and i was hungry.

I accept that there are going to be days where i slip but hopefully they will be infrequent but as they say every thing in moderation well a month ago i was eating rubbish every day now its maybe twice in the month so all in all thats progress.

Reactions: Bellatom and Prem51

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't beat yourself up about this. We're all human .. I've got the munchies tonight but luckily have some of those expensive pork crackles at hand... It will be a creamy coffee next if these don't work.
I do know how you feel though as, if I've been on a very strict diet before, I used to have moments like that, where you need to eat everything in sight. I can't explain why either. I don't feel it so much on the LCHF diet, but if I cut down too much I still get the urge.. Are you eating enough ?
Anyway, onwards and upwards.. as Scarlett said.. Tomorrow is another day x

Reactions: Bellatom and Prem51

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
We all do it, fall off the wagon that is, the trick is to acknowledge that is has happened and decide what you can do to stop that particular set of circumstances happening again. Why have the cakes and white bread readily available? Can they be kept frozen so that at worst only one is available? Always remember that this is a long haul, it is not a sprint. The important thing is that you are going to get back on the wagon again. Set your next small steps target and you will achieve it.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well I am paying for yesterdays binge episode. Been awake since 3am with heartburn, dry mouth, chesty cough and stuffed up nose this is exactly what my sleep pattern was until I was told had diabetes and took up the low carb way of life. So you reap what you sow.

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
We all do it, fall off the wagon that is, the trick is to acknowledge that is has happened and decide what you can do to stop that particular set of circumstances happening again. Why have the cakes and white bread readily available? Can they be kept frozen so that at worst only one is available? Always remember that this is a long haul, it is not a sprint. The important thing is that you are going to get back on the wagon again. Set your next small steps target and you will achieve it.
My husband purchased the cakes to take to work and left them on the counter top. Unfortunately he will only eat white bread, biscuits, crisps etc nothing really healthy but thats his choice I cant ban them, but this is the first binge since been on the low carb way which is good for me so I looking at this as a good sign so still a positive for the low carb diet and following an awful nights sleep and the feelings of self loathing and negativity I will take up everyones advice and I am going to, get myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It happens from time to time yesterdays work was 15 hours, by the time got home i was too tired to go shopping, no food in the house for lunch snd another non stop day resulted in a KFC for lunch, i knew i shouldn't but it was easy and i was hungry..

There was a thread on here about KFC and their chicken is actually low carb - someone posted the nutritional info. You could do a search for it. But obviously the fries would be high carb. Maybe just have coleslaw with the chiicken?

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if this helps to answer your original question which was why you crave these foods after losing weight, but 20 years ago I did a 30 day detox which I was very disciplined about and did really well on. On the day I completed the detox it was as if a switch went on in my brain and I began to crave all the foods I'd deprived myself of during the past 30 days. I even craved and ate foods I don't like or usually eat, but they all tasted so good after a strict 30 days of abstention. I undid all the good work in one day but I really do think it was my body's way of replacing all the foods it had been deprived of for so long.

This is the reason I don't subscribe to fasting over long periods of time, or extreme dieting or calorie restriction. I love the LCHF way because there is no sense of deprivation. I hope this helps a little to understand why we do what we do.

Be gentle on yourself, and keep pushing onwards, with greater knowledge and understanding.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bellatom - I have a carbaholic husband too - but he's always eaten higher carbs than me so I've been fairly used to eating to my own preference where possible which has made avoiding (his) carby foods easier for me. However, I do make sure that I have low carb alternatives: Lindt 85% dark chocolate, low carb almond shortcake, sweet (and savoury) muffins, bread, creamy whips and cheesecakes, etc, that I can turn to. If I can eat these I don't need those evil carby alternatives that come with the risk of re-addiction or nasty damage to my eyes and body.

When I first chose to eat LCHF I was super virtuous and swore I'd never touch sweeteners of any sort , but common sense (perhaps?) dictated that if I was to keep of this way of eating long term and satisfy a fairly sweet tooth and a love of baking, I should compromise a little, so I added erythritol & stevia, nut & seed flours (ground almonds and hazelnuts, sesame flour, milled flax seed, etc) into my LCHF OK to eat list. And feel I'm in a win-win situation.

Robbity
PS The occasional and only times I wobble on the wagon are if my body decides my glucose levels are too low (not always correctly!) and I have to have something with a little real sugar, but once I've eaten that, I very rarely ever want any more.:wideyed:

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
MMMmmm Where do you buy Low Carb Almond Shortcake @Robbity They sound soooo good!