Scared - diagnosed with heart murmur

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with a heart murmur last year and had loads of tests to see what was causing it including a C.T scan , echocardiogram and a 24 hour heart monitor as my heart was beating too slowly approx 35 beats a minute and then 65 a min . It was found that I had eptopic beats and were completely harmless so please try not to worry it could as simple as this.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My brother has had stents put in on his angiogram .. I had the full by pass op .. it depends where and how bad your blockage is .. if you have a blockage at all... I had had a few heart attacks before my by pass op .. Do please call an ambulance if your chest pain gets worst .. (I had unstable angina, so got the chest pain when resting as well as on activity) don't do what I did and leave it .. now have a lot of damage to my heart .. but 25+ years on I am still here .. still just as ugly .. and since low carb.. in the best health I have been for many years.
I was having chest pains in rest after waking up swollen!
Breathlessness mainly in walking but breathlessness in rest is joined with chest pain.
I'm so pleased your here for us. Thank you.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
hi @tigerlily72 .. First please do not get stressed about having a heart scan .. It is just like having a scan that they do to see baby in the mum .. as a strapping 6ft man I have had to cue up with a long line of pregnant ladies for my heart scan. Its not going to hurt .. may be a bit cold if no-one warms up the gel the put on your chest for the scanner head to run smoothly over.
A heart murmur is just saying your heart is making a little noise .. this could be caused by so many things .. so at this stage please don't worry .. I often do have a murmur .. then I don't ... The sooner you find out what is causing it .. the sooner you can get it sorted..

Thanks for the tag @Diakat yes I do have heart problems LOL

☺have lost e-mail alerts so only just catching up.

Reactions: Enclave

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. I thought I'd only get a couple of replies. Listening to you all, it may be nothing, I may have been born with it, and most importantly I should try not to stress.

You guys and girls have really helped me. Sadly, at a time when my longest and oldest friend hasn't spoken to me in months. She has now told me (non verbally via an e-mail) that my weight is mainly to blame for all my health issues. Not only has she upset me, she is also ignorant to the fact that you don't just get diabetes because you're fat/overweight. So many other factors may contribute towards it, and both mine and my husband's mother and their mothers were / had type 2.

So thanks again to those of you that read my post and responded, whether you posted a reply or a hug icon. xx

Last edited:
Reactions: connie104

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You guys and girls have really helped me. Sadly, at a time when my longest and oldest friend hasn't spoken to me in months. She has now told me (non verbally via an e-mail) that my weight is mainly to blame for all my health issues. Not only has she upset me, she is also ignorant to the fact that you don't just get diabetes as you're fat/overweight. So many other factors may contribute towards it and both mine and my husband's mother and their mothers were / had type 2.
Your friend is very silly .. I got all my heart problems when I was slim and very active .. as my heart problems progressed and I ate to the gov advice for healthy eating .. my weight increased .. I was told this increase in weight was due to my heart failure .. then got T2 that I think was due heart to the medication I was on .. so I had nothing to loose by going against the advice of my medics and started LCHF .. It has saved my life.. three years or so back I was offered palliative care .. now my heart nurse says 'get out of here .. your not possible ... wheres my heart failure gentleman with T2 ... cause it isn't you LOL'
Don't let your silly friend upset you .. We are here for you ..

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your friend is very silly .. I got all my heart problems when I was slim and very active .. as my heart problems progressed and I ate to the gov advice for healthy eating .. my weight increased .. I was told this increase in weight was due to my heart failure .. then got T2 that I think was due heart to the medication I was on .. so I had nothing to loose by going against the advice of my medics and started LCHF .. It has saved my life.. three years or so back I was offered palliative care .. now my heart nurse says 'get out of here .. your not possible ... wheres my heart failure gentleman with T2 ... cause it isn't you LOL'
Don't let your silly friend upset you .. We are here for you ..

Thanks Enclave :). It does make me angry as it's ignorance on her part. She's a smoker, well I think she still is but she's avoided seeing me for months and months although we don't live that far away from each other. But, I'd never lecture her on smoking.

We've known each other for over 25 years and I really thought she'd have been there for me. I was mistaken. She's said she'll phone me in a few days . . . that's going to be one strained and awkward conversation. Part of me wonders, do I still want a friend like this, but another thinks that I can't throw away a very, very long friendship. I just hope she never develops type 2 or some of the health issues I've had.

It's made me that upset I have a stress headache! Thank goodness, I can talk and share and get support and not be judged too much on this forum. It's a lifesaver! X

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually, I forgot to mention that my friend doesn't know about the heart murmur. Apparently, she doesn't want to know about my "latest health scare" and repeatedly kept referring to my weight and telling me to lose it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We are definitely here for you @tigerlily72 .

I'm just thankful I'm not around smokers right now. Struggling to breath without all that.
My best friend is struggling too but I have to concentrate on getting better first. Then I'll educate her.
She has a lovely heart but very neive. She is like a sister. She isn't going anywhere luckily so hopefully time can be spent explaining everything. They are worth it.
I'd want her to do that for me! :)
In the meanwhile we are here. Message me anytime. ;)

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are definitely here for you @tigerlily72 .

I'm just thankful I'm not around smokers right now. Struggling to breath without all that.
My best friend is struggling too but I have to concentrate on getting better first. Then I'll educate her.
She has a lovely heart but very neive. She is like a sister. She isn't going anywhere luckily so hopefully time can be spent explaining everything. They are worth it.
I'd want her to do that for me! :)
In the meanwhile we are here. Message me anytime. ;)

Thank you soo much :happy:. x

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening All

After what seemed like a large part of my morning listening to an answer phone, I finally spoke to a person and have an appointment for my echocardiogram on . . . what for it . . . Valentine's Day! I got referred to a surgery/clinic with the shortest wait, otherwise it could have been 7wks+. Not long to wait which is good. And my blood pressure seems to be reducing now my BP meds have been doubled - tonight's reading was 143/89 so down considerably from the 175/109 when the Dr took it last week. Hope it continues to come down within "normal" range :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Evening All

After what seemed like a large part of my morning listening to an answer phone, I finally spoke to a person and have an appointment for my echocardiogram on . . . what for it . . . Valentine's Day! I got referred to a surgery/clinic with the shortest wait, otherwise it could have been 7wks+. Not long to wait which is good. And my blood pressure seems to be reducing now my BP meds have been doubled - tonight's reading was 143/89 so down considerably from the 175/109 when the Dr took it last week. Hope it continues to come down within "normal" range :)
Ironic on valentines day. At least you won't forget the day you had it done on!
How are you feeling today?

Reactions: tigerlily72

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ironic on valentines day. At least you won't forget the day you had it done on!
How are you feeling today?

Yes, a couple of my colleagues made a joke about the date ;). They're really supportive so I'm fortunate and I feel more positive and better in myself. Still angry with my so called best friend but we'll see what happens with that. She's never been good at doing and sticking to what she says she'll do so may not even phone me. Pleased my blood pressure is reducing and I've eaten "better" today and not pigged out on the abundance of chocolate and biscuits that our team has at work - now that's willpower!!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @tigerlily72 . Echocardiogram went well. Cardio chap asked if I'd been asked to have a myocardial perfusion scan? I said no mention, just angiogram appointment with the possibilities of stents. So not sure if that is his recommendation to test me in exercise. I'll see what happens after angiogram on tuesday (31st jan) which appointment arrived after no kidney issues in last blood test. I hope I won't need both but I'm no expert.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @tigerlily72 . Echocardiogram went well. Cardio chap asked if I'd been asked to have a myocardial perfusion scan? I said no mention, just angiogram appointment with the possibilities of stents. So not sure if that is his recommendation to test me in exercise. I'll see what happens after angiogram on tuesday (31st jan) which appointment arrived after no kidney issues in last blood test. I hope I won't need both but I'm no expert.

Really pleased your echocardiogram went well. I'm trying to "forget" about mine and not worry. I've had the confirmation letter through from the cardiology dept now comprehensively telling me what happens and how to prepare for it etc. Blood pressure has been a bit up and down, but I forgot to take my meds Thurs morning - stupid me! My so called friend has still not phoned. She's already put so much distance between us that I don't know what will happen. Fingers crossed for you. At least on here people understand and care as we're going through and experiencing similar things. x

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hallo @ ickihun thank you for asking how I'm doing .
Since I've been diet controlled ditching the medication things are going well and no difference in blood levels still mostly in the 5,s with the odd 6 now and again so all good and last blood test came in at 37 . Next test 31st Jan so not long to wait .
Since I've taken up the LCHF way of eating i feel so much healthier but cholesterol gone up to 7.1 so trying to cut back on fat as refuse to take statins after trying 3 different ones and terrible muscle ache with all of them.
Hope you finally get your problems sorted, constant pain is a nightmare I suffered terribly waiting to get my hip replacement ending up addicted to opioid pain killers!! That was 2 years ago now but a bad time ! Let's hope you get sorted soon x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hallo @ ickihun thank you for asking how I'm doing .
Since I've been diet controlled ditching the medication things are going well and no difference in blood levels still mostly in the 5,s with the odd 6 now and again so all good and last blood test came in at 37 . Next test 31st Jan so not long to wait .
Since I've taken up the LCHF way of eating i feel so much healthier but cholesterol gone up to 7.1 so trying to cut back on fat as refuse to take statins after trying 3 different ones and terrible muscle ache with all of them.
Hope you finally get your problems sorted, constant pain is a nightmare I suffered terribly waiting to get my hip replacement ending up addicted to opioid pain killers!! That was 2 years ago now but a bad time ! Let's hope you get sorted soon x
How good are you on your feet? Are you able to walk much? I highly recommend walking to bring down cholesterol.
I know maybe not so possible if having heart problems. I try and get out everyday, even just for 5mins. Getting my circulation going. So many hospital appointments lately and a 3yr old and 9yr old to entertain it does help keeping my total cholesterol to 4.4 max. I've never suffered with high cholesterol so really not sure why I might have a blockage. Although diabetics can get hardening of the arteries. God knows how that can be fixed? That's a lot of meters of arteries affected. I think by-passes become common too?

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How good are you on your feet? Are you able to walk much? I highly recommend walking to bring down cholesterol.
I know maybe not so possible if having heart problems. I try and get out everyday, even just for 5mins. Getting my circulation going. So many hospital appointments lately and a 3yr old and 9yr old to entertain it does help keeping my total cholesterol to 4.4 max. I've never suffered with high cholesterol so really not sure why I might have a blockage. Although diabetics can get hardening of the arteries. God knows how that can be fixed? That's a lot of meters of arteries affected. I think by-passes become common too?

Yes I am able to walk and walk our two dogs twice a day with my hubby so do get some exercise but could do more !
After all my recent heart tests arteries ok or as consultant said " all your valves,chambers and arteries are fine "

Good luck with your problems and I hope you get a positive diagnosis soon x

Reactions: tigerlily72

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Really pleased your echocardiogram went well. I'm trying to "forget" about mine and not worry. I've had the confirmation letter through from the cardiology dept now comprehensively telling me what happens and how to prepare for it etc. Blood pressure has been a bit up and down, but I forgot to take my meds Thurs morning - stupid me! My so called friend has still not phoned. She's already put so much distance between us that I don't know what will happen. Fingers crossed for you. At least on here people understand and care as we're going through and experiencing similar things. x
Echocardiogram is painless. I have a angiogram tuesday with dye not balloon or stents. Just investigatory. I'm still worried thou. I guess I wouldn't be human if I didn't worry about procedures. You too.
You know where I am, if you want to chat about it afterwards. Or before. You're not alone! :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @tigerlily72 how are things?

Received an update after ct angiogram failed due to my heart rate being too high.
I'm to see cardiologist before a conventional angiogram is to be considered, maybe meds etc... instead?
The affected part of my heart is the Left Anterior Desending Artery. If it gets totally blocked its fatal.
He will be asking how I'm getting on and if chest pains still occuring.
I'm on tramadol for pain now so luckily I'm pain free.
Bisoprolol, cause of breathlessness (asthma) I feel so may ask if another drug more asthma friendly is available.
Still scared with regards to needing intervention but more scared if nothing done!