Scared - diagnosed with heart murmur

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to be having a run of health issues lately. I've just had suspected chicken pox and been feeling generally unwell for several days with symptoms including burning, stinging and tingling skin and feeling very cold with the inability to get warm. I am never cold! I also have no physical cold or cough, sore throat etc.

I had a Drs appointment today which wasn't with my registered Dr who I have to say is very good. Thankfully the female Dr I saw was very thorough. Blood pressure was still high so BP meds have been doubled although when I got the prescription to the pharmacy I realised she'd not changed it from my original dose so will need to phone the surgery in the morning. My temperature was a bit above normal and she said I had a bit of a fever which I guess accounts for me feeling cold. However, the bit that has me really scared is that she detected and told me I have a heart murmur and she's referring me for a heart scan at one of our local hospitals asap. I'm totally in shock as I wasn't expecting this! I admitted I'd been bad with my diet for a while as my husband and I have had a few very stressful months resulting in the death of my mother in law in December and her funeral just before Xmas. I was told I needed to remedy my diet which I fully acknowledge. I also need to lose weight but I hadn't actually put any on since I was last weighed in October so I guess that's one good thing!

I'm so scared though about the heart murmur and have no idea what a heart scan involves. I'm scared of what it might find. I'm hoping someone will reply that has had experience of this. I don't know where to find answers. I did try googling but this had made me even more stressed and confused. Sorry for rambling on, I just need to talk and my husband works shifts so is off to work soon and we haven't had an opportunity to talk about it.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @tigerlily72. I think @Enclave had heart issues (apologies if recall faulty) and may be able to tell you about scans. X

Reactions: Enclave

shellysexbomb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told a few years ago I had a heart murmur alongside an irregular heartbeat. Had scan and stress ecg, They just said my heart performed fine under stress and have heard nothing since. I think the scan determines the reason for the murmur, and thats what is important. You can be born with them and never know (my grandaughter has one, picked up randomly, no big deal) and they dont have any negative effect, or they can develop as a symptom of leaky/faulty heart mechanisms, in which case treatment of some sort will be required. It ranges from pacemaker to tablets depending on which valve/side of the heart is at fault. It may well be that like me, its a minor thing that requires no concern. Good luck x

Reactions: Prem51

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told a few years ago I had a heart murmur alongside an irregular heartbeat. Had scan and stress ecg, They just said my heart performed fine under stress and have heard nothing since. I think the scan determines the reason for the murmur, and thats what is important. You can be born with them and never know (my grandaughter has one, picked up randomly, no big deal) and they dont have any negative effect, or they can develop as a symptom of leaky/faulty heart mechanisms, in which case treatment of some sort will be required. It ranges from pacemaker to tablets depending on which valve/side of the heart is at fault. It may well be that like me, its a minor thing that requires no concern. Good luck x

Thanks for taking the time to reply as you've gone a long way (in your post) to helping reassure me. I had the letter arrive today from my surgery which was quick seeing as I only saw the Dr on Thurs evening! I have to phone and make the appointment at one of our local hospitals. The letter said it was for an echocardiogram. Not sure how long it will take to get an appointment but I can't phone until Monday as the phone lines aren't open at the weekend's. Watch this space . . .

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for taking the time to reply as you've gone a long way (in your post) to helping reassure me. I had the letter arrive today from my surgery which was quick seeing as I only saw the Dr on Thurs evening! I have to phone and make the appointment at one of our local hospitals. The letter said it was for an echocardiogram. Not sure how long it will take to get an appointment but I can't phone until Monday as the phone lines aren't open at the weekend's. Watch this space . . .
I had one when I was a child but seemed to grow out of it. As far as I know now it has gone although I can't recall when I last had a heart check..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to have echocardiogram scans every 3 months when I was on a particular type of cancer treatment that could be hard on the heart. The scan is nothing to worry about. You lie on your side with your top clothes off while the doctor scans the heart area and watches it all on a screen. It takes about 20 minutes. It is very like an ultra sound scan. The doctor doing mine told me my results there and then, which were normal.

Reactions: tigerlily72

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Try not to worry. A heart murmur is simply an extra noise in your heart beat compared to most others - there are some possibilities which are fairly serious, but treatable and also quite a few which are not serious at all.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
hi @tigerlily72 .. First please do not get stressed about having a heart scan .. It is just like having a scan that they do to see baby in the mum .. as a strapping 6ft man I have had to cue up with a long line of pregnant ladies for my heart scan. Its not going to hurt .. may be a bit cold if no-one warms up the gel the put on your chest for the scanner head to run smoothly over.
A heart murmur is just saying your heart is making a little noise .. this could be caused by so many things .. so at this stage please don't worry .. I often do have a murmur .. then I don't ... The sooner you find out what is causing it .. the sooner you can get it sorted..

Thanks for the tag @Diakat yes I do have heart problems LOL

Reactions: Bellatom and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm having my first echocardiogram this thursday. I too am a bit apprehensive. I have fast heart beat, t wave inversion and off and on chest pains with breathlessness.
My calcuim score from ct scan showed 19 which is mild heart disease so awaiting an angiogram too.
Very scary time.
Oh on top I have a virus and an infection.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My calcuim score from ct scan showed 19 which is mild heart disease so awaiting an angiogram too.
Very scary time.
Hi @ickihun .. hope your scan goes well, don't think they will do the angiogram if you have an infection.. thats more invasive than the scan. Its not painful more unpleasant .. and takes a bit longer than the scan.. have you had an angiogram before ? Also just noticed you are getting chest pain when exercising .. have you not been given tablets or a spray to help stop the chest pains ? (they sound like angina pains, but I am no Dr so don't take my word for this) In the past I did have unstable angina .. and know how the pain can stop you in your tracks..

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a ECG a couple of years ago before I had an endoscopy under a general and was worried about it but need not have been. All they do it attach pads with wires to various part of the body like chest and legs. I did not have to undress at all just pull my top up and loosen my bra and pull my trouser legs up. It is very quick does not hurt and it gives a printed read out... mine was normal

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to clarify here on the different procedures that I have had to look at my heart :::
Scan
This is where the gel is placed on your chest and a hand held scanner is rubbed over your heart area while the operator is watching a screen showing your heart movements.
(this I found shocking .. as the gel was cold .. don't like the cold LOL)
ECG
This is where electrodes are placed on your skin and "listens" to your heart beats giving a paper or elelectonic read out of what its hearing
(this I found fun, being a hairy man the electrodes keep falling off .. so had a mini shave much to the amusement of the nurse)
Angiogram
During a coronary angiogram, a type of dye that's visible by an X-ray machine is injected into the blood vessels of your heart. The X-ray machine rapidly takes a series of images (angiograms), offering a look at your blood vessels. If necessary, your doctor can open clogged heart arteries (angioplasty) during your coronary angiogram.
(this I found uncomfortable, but not painful)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No
Hi @ickihun .. hope your scan goes well, don't think they will do the angiogram if you have an infection.. thats more invasive than the scan. Its not painful more unpleasant .. and takes a bit longer than the scan.. have you had an angiogram before ? Also just noticed you are getting chest pain when exercising .. have you not been given tablets or a spray to help stop the chest pains ? (they sound like angina pains, but I am no Dr so don't take my word for this) In the past I did have unstable angina .. and know how the pain can stop you in your tracks..
No heart angiogram but i think similiar to investigate blocked fallopian tubes and damaged right ovary from an arupt appendix 10yrs previous. Not a ct angiogram but x-ray one.
Cardiologist said no to spray or asprin for now til scans done. Told to call ambulance if chest pains come back.
I feel they're waiting for me to have a conventional heart attack before helping me. :(
Breathlessness seems to improve then flare up!

Last edited:

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm having my first echocardiogram this thursday. I too am a bit apprehensive. I have fast heart beat, t wave inversion and off and on chest pains with breathlessness.
Very scary time.

It is worrying but thanks for responding. I'm wondering if the infection/virus and raised blood pressure might be causing it. I had, or thought I had chickenpox but the Dr who diagnosed the heart murmur didn't think I'd had chickenpox, so who knows?!

Let us know how you get on. x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It is worrying but thanks for responding. I'm wondering if the infection/virus and raised blood pressure might be causing it. I had, or thought I had chickenpox but the Dr who diagnosed the heart murmur didn't think I'd had chickenpox, so who knows?!

Let us know how you get on. x
Will do @tigerlily72 . Thank you.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When in a&e last week senior a&e doc suggested I go home and rest rather than staying overnight to be sent home in morning with same scan dates. He told me my angiogram may include stents but won't know til they take a look. I have mild heart disease.

Bows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was born with heart mumour and always thought I still had it. However I had a heart scan a year ago and it has gone. Try not to worry lots of people have them and don't know it. You too may have had it all your life. A heart scan is nothing to worry about. It involves you laying on a bed and pictures taken of your heart. Painless. Results can take up to a month to come back. Hope all goes well for you

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When in a&e last week senior a&e doc suggested I go home and rest rather than staying overnight to be sent home in morning with same scan dates. He told me my angiogram may include stents but won't know til they take a look. I have mild heart disease.
My brother has had stents put in on his angiogram .. I had the full by pass op .. it depends where and how bad your blockage is .. if you have a blockage at all... I had had a few heart attacks before my by pass op .. Do please call an ambulance if your chest pain gets worst .. (I had unstable angina, so got the chest pain when resting as well as on activity) don't do what I did and leave it .. now have a lot of damage to my heart .. but 25+ years on I am still here .. still just as ugly .. and since low carb.. in the best health I have been for many years.

Reactions: Speedbird