Type 1: Pork Scratchings for stable blood sugar - T1??

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Postleneo that's the $64m question(s)!

Generally fat will delay the carb absorption, yes it's possible to have a lchf breakfast snack that will reduce the DP. As always getting the right insulin at the right time is the crux to a T1D - and as always everyone is different. Todays quick acting insulins may not be quick enough for some, so a dollop of fat or taking the inject even earlier may help.

Take a good old British curry which is normally high carb and high fat, some bolus as normal and are fine, others may go low with in an hour or two and then go high doing that, others delay the injection until after the meal - finding they may go high first off but then level out, others split dose a certain % up front and the rest 2-3 hrs later - it's all trial and error along with good note taking!

Reactions: Jaylee

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Postleneo - What does your Libre trace show for the days when you have eaten scratchings? Do you see a later rise, a deferred drop back to your starting point, or is it all just about the same?

KarenAdamson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes fat does slow down the absorption of carbs. On a course I was on it was explained that although a baked potato is a high GI food it improves if you add butter and cheese

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Postleneo - What does your Libre trace show for the days when you have eaten scratchings? Do you see a later rise, a deferred drop back to your starting point, or is it all just about the same?
When i wrote the inital post my blood sugar rose minimally then seemed to level out - last night however i bolused for my meal - 30 mins in advance ate my meal then 10 mins later had a small bag of pork crunch... what i noticed was an inital rise of about 4 mmol.... followed by a drop of about 1 mmol about an hour later but no more.... levels remaind steady with no further drop. I waited until the 4.5 hour mark post injection and as i was still high at the same reading gave a correction.... levels then plummeted about 40 mins later to almost hypo which i needed to treat with a little licozade and a buscuit resulting in me remaining slightly higher than id like before bed... go figure :-(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When i wrote the inital post my blood sugar rose minimally then seemed to level out - last night however i bolused for my meal - 30 mins in advance ate my meal then 10 mins later had a small bag of pork crunch... what i noticed was an inital rise of about 4 mmol.... followed by a drop of about 1 mmol about an hour later but no more.... levels remaind steady with no further drop. I waited until the 4.5 hour mark post injection and as i was still high at the same reading gave a correction.... levels then plummeted about 40 mins later to almost hypo which i needed to treat with a little licozade and a buscuit resulting in me remaining slightly higher than id like before bed... go figure :-(

Last night, did you have Pork Crunch, rather than pork scratchings, and was that the same as last time?

I thought the Pork Crunch was a bit lower fat, than the heavier, fattier pork scratchings.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night, did you have Pork Crunch, rather than pork scratchings, and was that the same as last time?

I thought the Pork Crunch was a bit lower fat, than the heavier, fattier pork scratchings.
They were both the crunch... Well actually
more of a pork 'puff' really same texture but different make to be fair I actually didn't take a note off the fat content.... Should have really.... Talk about a school boy error:-(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They were both the crunch... Well actually
more of a pork 'puff' really same texture but different make to be fair I actually didn't take a note off the fat content.... Should have really.... Talk about a school boy error:-(

It was just a thought. Other things that can differ though are the seasoning they add. Of course, there's likely to be some salt on there, but for the chilli ones, and often the plain ones, there can be sugar in the mix. Obviously there would be ginagerous amounts, but potentially enough to change your blood behavious a bit.

The second lot wasn't Sweet Chilli flavour was it? I'm absolutely flat line on that, but then I'm flat line on lots of things that impact others.

I have some gammon rind in my fridge to be transformed over the next couple of days, when I feel like it. The home made variants don't last too well (they tend to go soggy), so it means it's just devoured all the more quickly!

shezy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just found this and wanted to say when I eat chocolate - yes I know I'm not supposed to - but when the temptation let's just too much I have found eating cheese directly after stops my blood sugar from rising - must be the same principal of fat carb balance.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just found this and wanted to say when I eat chocolate - yes I know I'm not supposed to - but when the temptation let's just too much I have found eating cheese directly after stops my blood sugar from rising - must be the same principal of fat carb balance.

Do you bolus for the Choc/cheese combo? Do you get a later rise? I eat chocolate in moderation with a bolus and find it (the chocolate) is absorbed quite slowly anyway, unless it's hot added sweet things like honeycomb, caramel, etc.

Some good quality chocolate I can eat without a bolus as long as I don't go overboard.

wileykit55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yes I have found the same. My bgl has been more stable since starting a ketogenic diet. I've been eating pork scratching as a snack and I've been able to keep my bgl more stable between 5 and 8.

Reactions: Postleneo
D

Deleted Account

I notice all previous responses are focusing on the pork scratchings. Sure, the fat content in them could slow down the absorption of sugar. However, this is not the only reason you may experience the drop or delay. That may also be related to what you were doing before your meal.
For example, if you had snacked prior to the meal, you may have "insulin on board". As "fast acting" insulin can stay in your body for 4 hours (although it is not absorbed at a steady rate), you may be seeing your meal carbs being broken down by this "residual insulin".
Alternatively, if you had been exercising, this would reduce your BG as exercise makes your body more efficient at using insulin (so needs less). The resulting drop in BG may last some time: depending on length and intensity of exercise, it can effective me up to 48 hours ... although, it then becomes difficult for me to track because I am likely to be exercising again.
Everyone behaves differently but it is key to remember that it is more than just food and insulin that can effect your BG.