Type 1: HbA1c

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Very proud of myself, today I went to the hospital and they were 5.6. 3 months ago they were 109!
Hi
Very well done!
I assume you are using mixed units and the 5.6 is a percentage If so, this is the same as 38 in mmol/mol, which is what the 109 figure will be in.
Anyway, an exceptional result in that time, which puts you in the non-diabetic range.

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just like me. I was diagnosed with it at 148, and within 3 months went down to 41!

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Eireannn
wow what a fine job you have done so fast...:)

Thank you! I was very surprised by my results. I was told it was the best they had seen in months from someone :)

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Hi
Very well done!
I assume you are using mixed units and the 5.6 is a percentage If so, this is the same as 38 in mmol/mol, which is what the 109 figure will be in.
Anyway, an exceptional result in that time, which puts you in the non-diabetic range.

Oh yes, thank you for pointing that out. I'm new to all of this so it is quite confusing. They had 2 charts in the hospital, the one with the 46 and under as good and then some higher numbers going up and then another chart with 6.0 being in the green area and then a few more numbers lol.

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
@dbr10 Thank you!
@les74 Just frightening myself and reminding myself of the complications that can follow if not under perfect control is the trick ;)

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
#Eireann
Fear is a good motivator; but we're all keen to learn what you think was the change that worked best: vis weigh loss? Exercise?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very well done! Have you been told you're honeymooning or not? Just curious as they told me this would make things easier for a while.

I'm eager to see what mine will be from diagnosis just have to wait for my next appointment I guess. I'm over the 3 months now.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
#Eireann
Fear is a good motivator; but we're all keen to learn what you think was the change that worked best: vis weigh loss? Exercise?

Appropriate use of insulin. Get the basal right, then move on to meal ratios and controlling spikes.

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
@db89 my mum is pretty sure that my honeymoon period ended over christmas because my blood sugars were all over the place and the amount of insulin I was giving myself was not working :(
@les74 I haven't done anything different to control my blood sugars, I've only done what @azure has mentioned :p

Reactions: azure

emilyj17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Basically having a large improvement in blood sugar control quickly can cause damage, specifically the eyes....

Do you know more about this?

I've recently got control back after going off the rails for a couple of years, my Dr said its the fastest drop in Hba1c she's ever seen (it was really bad before). I've been feeling terrible since! No appetite (I really have to force myself to et anything at all), not sleeping, no energy, constant nausea, constipation, I've lost nearly a stone in 3 weeks, sensitive skin, burning feet - you name it, I seem to have it!

As Hba1c has more than halved, Dr said its my body readjusting, and that a drop like that in a non-diabetic would make them feel pretty terrible too.