Need help with app

KenJasim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,
I am a year 13 student doing computing and we have been asked to do a project, as I am a type 1 diabetic since the age of 1, and I would like to ask your help, what would you like to see in the android app, what would be useful to have, any suggestions are really helpful, here is what I currently have.
  • Allow users to input blood sugar and the app will store it in a database
  • Lets people read from the database and collect and share info
  • Reminds people when to test blood sugar
  • Graph results and allows people to set goals
  • To track insulin and how much is left
  • To store data about the carbs that they have eaten and what insulin should be taken
  • To allow databases to be printed/easily shared between people
  • Allow a “multi wave” system and an “extended” system for insulin delivery if using a pump
  • Create a weekly report that shows your data and how you have achieved an objective
  • Show averages of test data and insulin
  • Allow a setting of weight and height and many users
  • Possibly create a companion watch app
Thanks

Last edited:

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What I would like to see is an analysis of carb intake, insulin doses and BS levels over time to work out insulin sensitivity ratios, e.g. how much 1 unit reduces BS levels, how many gm of carbs are processed by 1 unit at different times of day etc.

KenJasim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I would like to see is an analysis of carb intake, insulin doses and BS levels over time to work out insulin sensitivity ratios, e.g. how much 1 unit reduces BS levels, how many gm of carbs are processed by 1 unit at different times of day etc.
Thank you very much for your input, I will take it into consideration, keep you eye on this thread for the alpha test release

KenJasim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Database of meals components so you can have a dietary picture. It's not just the carbs but how those carbs work in that particular body with those particular food choices.

Fats for food choices

Sync with things like Health Vault.

Quickie email summary file
Quickie specific data file (ex. carbs per day, % fat per meal, graph kinds of fat)

List of other conditions (ex. Metabolic Syndrome, Renal Diseases, Kidney Diseases, Retinopathy and other eye problems, neurological conditions, Nerve problems (tingling, pain), infectious diseases, reumatoid and osteoarthritis, DNA anomalies, whether pregnant, age group, etc.)

You have the potential to create a took that could also provide self reporting data to researchers as well as Type 1 and Type 2 and other types of Diabetes and Metabolism, for which sharing of data without sharing of names and other sensitive personal information, jcould be possible with a one time permission button for each and every study using the data created with your app
Thank you very much for your input, I will take it into consideration, keep you eye on this thread for the alpha test release

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Having spent a 30 year career in programming; doing it, teaching it and managing it; may I make a few suggestions? Rather than concentrating on the obvious aspects, i.e. what output you can produce, think carefully about how to make the input easy. If you can access pre-existing data such as downloading data from bg meters, you will avoid the big pitfall: people giving up because of the effort of typing in data several times a day. I use an Accuchek Aviva Expert with bolus advice so I type in carb intake, exercise etc 3 or more times a day. Having to crank up an app and re-enter the same info again would be too much hassle for me in the long term. Accessing meter manufacturers' data will of course be a challenge but a lot of them have data upload mechanisms and once the data is in your computer you have a fair shot at reading it.

Reactions: urbanracer

KenJasim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having spent a 30 year career in programming; doing it, teaching it and managing it; may I make a few suggestions? Rather than concentrating on the obvious aspects, i.e. what output you can produce, think carefully about how to make the input easy. If you can access pre-existing data such as downloading data from bg meters, you will avoid the big pitfall: people giving up because of the effort of typing in data several times a day. I use an Accuchek Aviva Expert with bolus advice so I type in carb intake, exercise etc 3 or more times a day. Having to crank up an app and re-enter the same info again would be too much hassle for me in the long term. Accessing meter manufacturers' data will of course be a challenge but a lot of them have data upload mechanisms and once the data is in your computer you have a fair shot at reading it.
That's a great idea, but would I have to get the file from the software used by the meter or the meter itself, so on my blood glucose monitor you have the database stored as a file on the software that you can export. I'm not really sure as this is my first large project so not really sure how to approach it.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Fair comment. Dealing with file formats from a range of manufacturers is a big ask for a project. As an alternative, how about pre-filling fields with values predicted from earlier inputs so the user only has to input when values are different. Anything that cuts down on the hassle would encourage people to persist. Good luck.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've merged the two threads for you @KenJasim You'like get more replies if you use a form that doesn't require people to sign in, I would think.