1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Need help with app

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by KenJasim, Sep 14, 2016.

1. KenJasim

KenJasim Type 1 · Member

Hello,
    I am a year 13 student doing computing and we have been asked to do a project, as I am a type 1 diabetic since the age of 1, and I would like to ask your help, what would you like to see in the android app, what would be useful to have, any suggestions are really helpful, here is what I currently have.
    • Allow users to input blood sugar and the app will store it in a database
    • Lets people read from the database and collect and share info
    • Reminds people when to test blood sugar
    • Graph results and allows people to set goals
    • To track insulin and how much is left
    • To store data about the carbs that they have eaten and what insulin should be taken
    • To allow databases to be printed/easily shared between people
    • Allow a “multi wave” system and an “extended” system for insulin delivery if using a pump
    • Create a weekly report that shows your data and how you have achieved an objective
    • Show averages of test data and insulin
    • Allow a setting of weight and height and many users
    • Possibly create a companion watch app
    Thanks

#1 KenJasim, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:56 PM
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What I would like to see is an analysis of carb intake, insulin doses and BS levels over time to work out insulin sensitivity ratios, e.g. how much 1 unit reduces BS levels, how many gm of carbs are processed by 1 unit at different times of day etc.

3. KenJasim

KenJasim Type 1 · Member

Thank you very much for your input, I will take it into consideration, keep you eye on this thread for the alpha test release

4. robertconroy

robertconroy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Glycemic loads of foods is all you need.

5. KenJasim

KenJasim Type 1 · Member

Thank you very much for your input, I will take it into consideration, keep you eye on this thread for the alpha test release

6. KenJasim

KenJasim Type 1 · Member

Thank You, I will try to add this in, keep an eye on this thread for the alpha release

7. snowleopard

Having spent a 30 year career in programming; doing it, teaching it and managing it; may I make a few suggestions? Rather than concentrating on the obvious aspects, i.e. what output you can produce, think carefully about how to make the input easy. If you can access pre-existing data such as downloading data from bg meters, you will avoid the big pitfall: people giving up because of the effort of typing in data several times a day. I use an Accuchek Aviva Expert with bolus advice so I type in carb intake, exercise etc 3 or more times a day. Having to crank up an app and re-enter the same info again would be too much hassle for me in the long term. Accessing meter manufacturers' data will of course be a challenge but a lot of them have data upload mechanisms and once the data is in your computer you have a fair shot at reading it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KenJasim

KenJasim Type 1 · Member

That's a great idea, but would I have to get the file from the software used by the meter or the meter itself, so on my blood glucose monitor you have the database stored as a file on the software that you can export. I'm not really sure as this is my first large project so not really sure how to approach it.

9. snowleopard

Fair comment. Dealing with file formats from a range of manufacturers is a big ask for a project. As an alternative, how about pre-filling fields with values predicted from earlier inputs so the user only has to input when values are different. Anything that cuts down on the hassle would encourage people to persist. Good luck.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. KenJasim

KenJasim Type 1 · Member

11. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

you have to write more of your project before demanding this..

12. KenJasim

KenJasim Type 1 · Member

13. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I've merged the two threads for you @KenJasim You'like get more replies if you use a form that doesn't require people to sign in, I would think.

14. KenJasim

KenJasim Type 1 · Member

Sorry I'm pretty new to forums, thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook