Lidl high protein roll

Bows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Purchased a roll this evening and dare not eat it.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Bought two today so I'll have one with my usual bacon & eggs for breakfast tomorrow and see how it affects my BG.
Had a nibble at one for lunch and it tasted quite reasonable compared with some 'healthy'rolls I've tried.

Reactions: Prem51

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type and regularly eat lidls high protein rolls they are just so low in carbs and so filling, I can only ever eat half at a time but they are a different taste from bread. I usually fill up on other protein such as fish or cheese when I eat one! I am not a low carber particularly although I am carb conscious! If my sugars are running a little higher than I would like, I cut the carbs and these rolls are a really good alternative.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
For me they have taken the place of bread,have,6 am I have one toasted and cut in half with poached egg on one half,10 am one as a salad roll,lettuce,cucumber,tomato,and one at ,and one half with 4 fresh raspberries spread over the top as it takes the place of jam;)

Ingredients:

Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).
Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g (Of which saturates 0.4g)
Carbohydrate 8.5g (Of which sugars 0.5g)
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g

Reactions: Prem51 and KezG

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of curiosity I've just compared the nutritional data of breads. Here's just some :

Bread ....................... Carbs ...................Tot Sugar............. Kcal...... Protein
Lidl protein rolls ..... 9 ........................... 1..................... 268............ 27
Burgen linseed.. ..... 25.......................... 4.2.................. 283............15.2
Wholemeal rolls .....46.1 ........................2.6.................. 244............10.4
White crusty bloomer .....52.1........................ 2.8............... ....247........... 9.2

Sorry about messy format, but had to add dots as without them my original spaces were removed from the post.

Last edited:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl rolls are very popular on here, although each of us needs to test our BS after eating one. I eat half a roll at a time, usually the flat (bottom) half toasted with my breakfast fry-up and the other half later in the day with peanut butter or cheese. I make sure I have some fat each time. Of course it's not like a doorstep of my favourite granary and walnut bread from the local baker but I've changed my eating habits in so many ways I hardly notice. Good luck with your experiment.

Reactions: Prem51 and KezG

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@Bow's I like your post... look what you've done... just had my evening meal and I want to try a protein roll just out of curiosity. ;)

Reactions: Prem51 and Bows

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OK but if you get a high reading you won't know what caused it, will you?

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For me they have taken the place of bread,have,6 am I have one toasted and cut in half with poached egg on one half,10 am one as a salad roll,lettuce,cucumber,tomato,and one at ,and one half with 4 fresh raspberries spread over the top as it takes the place of jam;)

Ingredients:

Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).
Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
8.5 gr of carb is still high enough to spike you. If you were wearing a contouous blood sugar monitor you could see it happen in real time. Unless you are lucky enough to cope with so much carb. The Freestyle Libre lets you see the truth.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you need to experiment as people appear to react differently to different types of food. I am really sensitive to fruits and potatoes, not quite so spiked by the same amount of carbs in bread, but hardly react at all to the lidl protein rolls

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
I think that you need to experiment as people appear to react differently to different types of food. I am really sensitive to fruits and potatoes, not quite so spiked by the same amount of carbs in bread, but hardly react at all to the lidl protein rolls

@Damtov8 Hardly no noticeable change in my levels either:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
8.5 gr of carb is still high enough to spike you. If you were wearing a contouous blood sugar monitor you could see it happen in real time. Unless you are lucky enough to cope with so much carb. The Freestyle Libre lets you see the truth.

I only eat a half at one sitting, toasted with lots of butter. Great with a fry up. The rolls are full of fat and fiber. They do nothing significant to my levels - and I also use a Libre sensor.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love Lidl rolls. So filling I only eat half at a time and they don't spike me at all

funny.guy75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I love Lidl protien rolls, I have one in the morning with a boiled egg and salad leaves on it and it fills me up until lunch and I find it doesn't affect my BG levels

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I feel a need for bread, I have half a roll, toasted and then with some cheese melted on top, with some salad, and save the other half for the next day's breakfast scrambled eggs. But I only like them toasted. And they don't seem to affect my bg's hardly at all, whereas bread used to put them up by two points at least.

ObscureMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had started to go off lidl protein roles, but recently had peanut butter on the roll and completely changed flavour, for the better.
Tend to have them once or twice a week, with chicken and salad leaves or ham, cheese and salad leaves.

Also experimented with hovis low carb bread. I found a wholemeal version of this yesterday. Had 2 slices as a bacon and egg sandwich and BG went down .1 two hours after. Strange! Thought I would try again.

Today had tuna melt with tomatoes, again in 2 slices:

After 1 hour + .2
2 hours overall + .3
3 hours overall - .2
So highest spike was .3 after 2 hours.

Not going to be a regular thing, but in the freezer ready for action.

Reactions: VinceUK and Arlmy

BuddyB

Type of diabetes
Carer

Ingredients:

Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g

Can I just mention this is the nutritional information I posted after I contacted Lidl when the rolls were first introduced? Since then at both the stores near me has been selling a much smaller roll, so the amounts will be less.