pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It will go up as the body trys to finds ways to make more glucose to keep you alive. Moving your hands, walking, even your brain needs glucose too.

With me I know if it's 3.9 it will jump up, and within minutes it will be 4.8, nothing wrong with that. Just my body doing its job to keep me alive. I would only be concerned if it keeps going up and does not settle.

By the way stress hormones and insulin resistance are higher in the mornings, this will also effect your blood.
@phonic2k Thanks. I just wish I could wake up every day at 3.9 before the DP. I can live with it jumping to low or mid 5, stabilising and then gradually lowering throughout the day.

It gets really depressing when I wake up at 6 and it jumps to 7 before it stabilises and lowers. All this despite normally only eating 1 meal a day and having virtually zero body fat now.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@phonic2k thanks for your support, really appreciate it.

I broke my fast tonight on 48hrs and ate 2 pork chops, loads of mixed veg, a Lidl protein roll and a dozen raspberries with Greek yogurt. Pre meal @5.4, 45 mins 6.2, 90 mins 6.8 and 2 hrs 6.2. Am really pleased with that, hope it continues.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.5 today, a new record high for me.
Emergency 5 minute aerobic session took place in the living room. It dropped to 6.3 after.

Last edited:

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 but rose to 7.7 after Breakfast which was Mullerlight yogurt plus 35g of Oatmeal (soaked oats ) , plus a pear 'good ' on the Slimming World Plan . Maybe this is totally wrong ? (I usually workout Swimming / gym in morning ) I have a B**** cold , can't go out .

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7, 6.6, 6.7, and 6.7 beginning to think there was an error with my HBA1C at 40 in Dec
I have had the same as I got 42 in Jan , referred to the clinician , told next test after 1yr , to eat less fruit , 42 = 6 , I'm getting 6.9 , 6.4 in morning (1 7.9 day after binge ) . There is something called 'Liver Dump' , put a search in on here , it explains it all . Good luck Alison .:angelic: ~ Pre Diet

Reactions: Alison Campbell

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may notice it will go higher with oats as it's slow release, I would test again later.
Count your carbs. one pear can have from 17-25 net carbs, you had about 44g carbs if not more. I would do some pre-breakfast exercise or cut the carbs if you want lower readings, but a cold will not help too, and when you're ill, you may want to help your body by eating lower GI food, exercising(if possible) and cut the amount of net carbs per meal.[/QUOTE

Thanks Phonic2K

Pre breakfast workout is on the cards now, the post breakfast test was 5.7 , managed to walk the dogs , I had a protein + veg lunch , will test again later . Thanks for the Advice ~~ Pre-Diet

Reactions: Prem51

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had the same as I got 42 in Jan , referred to the clinician , told next test after 1yr , to eat less fruit , 42 = 6 , I'm getting 6.9 , 6.4 in morning (1 7.9 day after binge ) . There is something called 'Liver Dump' , put a search in on here , it explains it all . Good luck Alison .:angelic: ~ Pre Diet

Hi @PreDiet
42=6% which would mean average finger prick tests of around 7. This was the level I was diagnosed prediabetic 6 years ago just on the borderline.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @PreDiet
42=6% which would mean average finger prick tests of around 7. This was the level I was diagnosed prediabetic 6 years ago just on the borderline.

Hi Thanks for replying , I am Borderline / Prediabetic , no Meds for diabetes , struggling to stick to low carb / Slimming World , juggling it a bit , have just noticed a varied reading from one finger to the next within a minute of each other , do you find this ? Have you managed to stay stable / get lower readings by Low Carb? or just Low Calorie ?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry about varied readings from fingers this is normal. The meters are not accurate and can be 10%? out plus blood glucose level are constantly changing.

Lost 6 stone moderate low carb within first 20 months fasting readings in the 4's all good, then lost control 2 years ago with HBA1C 47 now back to 40 'normal' last month

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello friends, could I ask your advice please?
I finally got the machine and all the bits together and started testing, aiming for x7 daily, pre- & 2 hours post- meals (just for a few days). I am pre-diabetic, HbA1c was 6.4 last May, 6.2 October. Have been trying to reduce carbs to less than 100g a day. However, my results so far show 6.9 or 6.3 before breakfast, and 5.8 to 6.3 during the day, both before and 2 hours after meals. What can I do to reduce my pre-meal glucose levels? I know this is not an heroically high level but I am concerned as I originally went to my GP with recently numb feet (and severe athlete's foot for several years). The fungus has cleared up now I am oozing less sugar, but the numbness remains and I do NOT want to lose toes!

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello friends, could I ask your advice please?
I finally got the machine and all the bits together and started testing, aiming for x7 daily, pre- & 2 hours post- meals (just for a few days). I am pre-diabetic, HbA1c was 6.4 last May, 6.2 October. Have been trying to reduce carbs to less than 100g a day. However, my results so far show 6.9 or 6.3 before breakfast, and 5.8 to 6.3 during the day, both before and 2 hours after meals. What can I do to reduce my pre-meal glucose levels? I know this is not an heroically high level but I am concerned as I originally went to my GP with recently numb feet (and severe athlete's foot for several years). The fungus has cleared up now I am oozing less sugar, but the numbness remains and I do NOT want to lose toes!
Hello Beagler
You sound identical to me. I have exactly the same fasting, pre-meal and post-meal figures as you. I also have 2 numb feet which I have had for about a year.
I'll be honest, I haven't managed to reduce my numbers as yet, in fact my fasting are going up. I'm exercising and having less than 100g carbs a day. I've tried eating less carbs but couldn't sustain it with my hectic lifestyle, if you can manage it your numbers may reduce. This is probably key to it.
For my feet I am taking alpha lipoic acid, vitamins b12 and b1 and folate. It has helped, they are a bit better but I am told it could be permanent and get progressively worse.
All the best to you.