Snack Cravings - Add to the list!...

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Snack Cravings - The majority of us get them and can be hard to ignore for some of us! I thought I'd start a thread detailing what I do/eat when these pesky cravings crop up. Hopefully we can build a list of tips to help others that need a bit of inspiration or are bored of their current routine.
It doesn't have to be the most super-duper healthy fix (so no judging/bullying please), it is just nice to share ideas with people and find what works for them!
So I'll start with a list and please add to it - especially if you have found recipes that are a star find...

Flavoured teas - I find that the Twinings Gingerbread, various lemon teas and some of the berry and vanilla teas can satisfy my sweet tooth when I don't want to inject for anything! I also find that some brands do a better flavour for me than others so do keep trying ones until you find some that you love! Brewing times also make a huge difference to the flavour!

Hot chocolate - OK, so I don't have these too regular. Mostly when I'm feeling the need for creamy chocolate. Whittards chocolate is expensive but yummy and I usually use LactoFree milk to help keep the carbs down. Usually just over 20g of carb per mug - seems a lot but I find that it's more volume than eating pure chocolate with 20g carbs :)

Dark chocolate - When you really want that chocolate taste! Not everyone's favourite I know, but I do enjoy a bit of dark chocolate every now and again! High cocoa content usually means lower carb so find a percentage that's right for you and enjoy.

Share bags (Portioned!) - I usually buy bulk food if I can because it's cheaper and I'm currently studying veterinary medicine to become a vet nurse which does leave me feeling a bit poor! If like me, you can't open a bag without finishing it, weigh everything out into portions and bag/box them up individually. When I know that there is a stopping point at the end of the portion, I'm less likely to go nuts and eat it all!

Fresh Fruit - I go for berries the majority of the time because they seem to be low in carb compared to other fruits and moderate/portion things. With such a wide range of fruits available, its a great way to satisfy sweet Cravings as well as top up on vitamins.

Vegetables - some low carb vegetables can be made into crisps and eating them fresh is obviously the best way to go. I adore the Giving Tree broccoli crisps but cannot afford to keep buying them too often as they are really quite pricey! This is something that I am looking to find a good recipe for to make myself!

Peanut Butter - I used to detest peanut butter but I must admit that I do like to keep a jar around now! I am quite enjoying a no added sugar variety that is crunchy to satisfy me when I am craving before meals. Just a small amount will keep me full until food is ready!

LactoFree Milk - very low carb and lactose free. One of the better tasting lactose free milks that I have tried (though that is my opinion - others may think otherwise) I can have this as straight milk without noticing a difference and it keeps for ages.

;)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't really snack but I go through fazes for things - at the minute I love eating baby spinach from the bag like crisps - just got over a radish fettish lol

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hartleys no added sugar jelly pots with Greek style yoghurt
Cheese, the individual portion ones are handy if travelling

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All very good ideas! I love eggs - but can be tricky if at work etc. Cheese is great - I currently have some love cheese with spring onions in and some with pickled onions in! ;)
How do people feel about various nuts? I love raw nuts but do endulge in the flavoured/salted/honey coated variety occasionally. Usually mix raw with the others to keep carb down

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All very good ideas! I love eggs - but can be tricky if at work etc. Cheese is great - I currently have some love cheese with spring onions in and some with pickled onions in! ;)
How do people feel about various nuts? I love raw nuts but do endulge in the flavoured/salted/honey coated variety occasionally. Usually mix raw with the others to keep carb down
Tesco do a really nice bag of mixed roasted nuts, carbs are acceptable too. I bought some fancy Mr Filberts which were lovely but were quite high carb.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pickled eggs - nicer than I thought they would be.
Tesco mixed nuts
Flax crackers (diabeticgoodbaking) with peanut butter/cream cheese/avocado/ mackerel or sardine pate
Ham wrap with Philadelphia and pickled gerkin
Lemon/lime sorbet made with xylitol and a splash vodka to soften slightly
Cheese cheese and more cheese
Dark choc truffles (easy to make and freeze well)
Coconut chips - new obsession but expensive
Kale crisps - bag of kale, remove stalks, spray with oil and add salt then bake 12 mins lowish oven.

Love this thread

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on your carb allowance but...Hippeas chick pea crisps are awesome. 10g carbs per bag.

Reactions: Prem51
A

asparagusp

Tesco do a really nice bag of mixed roasted nuts, carbs are acceptable too. I bought some fancy Mr Filberts which were lovely but were quite high carb.
Plain nuts are healthier than roasted which will be fattier and salted.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
This may not be to everyone's taste, but I find miso soup a tasty low carb snack. Drink instead of a cuppa!

I use Clearspring sachets which have 2g carbs.

(Check the label as some brands have more than a couple of grams of carbs.)