Paramedics at work

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently, following a long run yesterday and a pretty serious HIIT session this morning, I may have over bolused/pre bolused for lunch today. Which resulted in half a dozen paramedics, a shot glucagon and some IV glucose, while I was having a nice lie down under my desk. I think was pretty flaily before I got under the desk, so that's embarrassing. I am fairly mortified that there were 3 ambulances at work for me, rather dreading going back in tomorrow! The paramedic did compliment me on managing full sentences at 1.4 , but the glucagon had kicked my liver by then and I had rigours. Ugh, just not terribly professional and I should have avoided it :( silly me, silly diabetes

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
glad your ok, I had similar on Saturday night whilst out in the pub I used to work at but hey ho these things happen :(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Crumbs @catapillar glad you're ok - seriously, that sounded a scary experience.

It's happened - you're ok and i'm sure your colleagues will be pleased to see you tomorrow so try not to worry, again glad you're ok, sending you a juicy hug ;)

Reactions: Gaz-M

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@catapillar gosh that's awful! I hope you feel better soon, the 'hangover' from being that low must be horrendous.

I agree with @Juicyj - I think everyone will be glad to see you are okay. Besides, we aren't ourselves when we are that low - I too had a paramedic a few years ago, when they had got me semi-conscious again I kept calling him Max, apparently, because I thought he looked like Max from Homeland, even though his name was Michael, and then I told the school matron to "p**s off and let me go back to sleep!"

Besides, most people will have forgotten about it by next week anyway :p

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm sure your work colleagues will be very understanding @catapillar , hope all goes well today. Take care.

Reactions: himtoo

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
So glad you are OK. Apart from the debilitating physical after affects its the humiliation of the situation I detest. Why do we feel shame and guilt when this happens? Ive been lucky enough to keep my hypo awareness after 27 years of being type 1 but have needed support from others twice. Hopefully you have a much much better day today.
Can I ask whats a HIIT session?
Mo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you are feeling better!
Just act normal (yeah, easier said than done!)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased you are feeling much better today, but do try not to feel embarrassed, mortified, or unprofessional. It's none of those things, and, looking on the bright side, it may just have been educational for your colleagues to witness a diabetic hypo as bad as that. If it helps just one person to understand the problems diabetics face it can't be all bad.

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, feeling fine and back to normal today so hopefully I can just sneak in quietly!

@catapillar,

To me, there's absolutely no need for you to "sneak in quietly", ma'am. You should enter your workplace with your head held high. As you haven't mentioned that this is a regular occurrence I'm hazarding a guess that it isn't, so you should be proud of how well you're actually controlling your diabetes for the majority of time.

I may not know you personally, catapillar, but I'm truly glad that you're now feeling better. I'm reasonably sure that the VAST MAJORITY of your work colleagues, just as everyone here does, will be grateful that you are OK.

I'm not sure how long you've been diagnosed as type 1, catapillar, but if you're relatively newly diagnosed, you'll find that it's a "learning process" with getting to know how best to keep good blood glucose level control. Many years ago, I used to run marathons and was always in training ... like 6 or 7 days a week ... and I could almost time when my blood glucose level would fall to a hypoglycaemic level ... usually 1.5 to 2 hours after I'd finished my runs, and that was after reducing both my basal (long-acting) insulin AND bolus (fast-acting) insulin doses, AND with taking glucose tabs during my runs.

I wish you well, ma'am, and hope that you don't have too many episodes like this. ;-)

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick
x x x x
x x x

P.S. Please don't be offended, or alarmed, at the 'x's'. It's merely a logo, of sorts, that I've used for close on 40 years now.