butternut squash and peas

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya

So are these foods high carb because I ate them at dinner amd my bs up at 9.1 was 6.6 before it so i am annoyed had it was some broccoli and mayo and haddock fillets

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe there are about 7g carbs per 100g in butternut squash and about 10g per 100g in peas.
So you can work out the total carbs of your meal providing you weighed everything.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Butternut squash has 10g of carb per 100g peas about 9g of carb per 100g so I would say for vegetables yes they are both a bit higher carb than is optimal. Also maybe check the mayo depending on the brand some are much higher carb than others.
I tend to try to get foodstuffs that are less than 5g per 100g in carb terms. Just check it out on a supermarket website.. they nearly all have the nutritional info that you need.
I got that info from the Sainsburys website.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I believe there are about 7g carbs per 100g in butternut squash and about 10g per 100g in peas.
So you can work out the total carbs of your meal providing you weighed everything.

Peas where about 50g but hubby didn't weigh the butternut squash so possibly half a bag which could of been 220g butternut squash which wasn't alot on the plate

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The peas would have been OK at just 50g but not the butternut squash at 220g.
Have you checked your mayo? Hellman's Real Mayo has 0 carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The mayo has 3.2 g per 100 ml I wouldn't eat that much In one go

100ml isn't very much. I eat Hellman's, and loads of it, every day. I also eat peas, but not mixed with many other carbs. Every carb counts!

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
100ml isn't very much. I eat Hellman's, and loads of it, every day. I also eat peas, but not mixed with many other carbs. Every carb counts!
I only eat 1 tbsp per meal (if im having it ) same if I'm mixing it with tuna or Tinned salmon or chicken

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd have only had a small portion of peas, and maybe a couple of mushrooms rather something like the butternut squash.
I find that I don't need to eat very much to keep hunger at bay.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd have only had a small portion of peas, and maybe a couple of mushrooms rather something like the butternut squash.
I find that I don't need to eat very much to keep hunger at bay.
I'm so used to carbs that I have been starving some days it's hard going ... miss my potatoes and chickpeas and all that oh and rice ...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you trying to limit fat in your diet? I know that there is so much written against eating fats, but my cholesterol has reduced in the time I have been low carbing.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you trying to limit fat in your diet? I know that there is so much written against eating fats, but my cholesterol has reduced in the time I have been low carbing.

Well not really. I mean I have had quite a bit of far today I thought a good bit of dark chocolate with cashew nut butter and the mayo and full fat yogurt and some seeds and butter on my toast a good chunk of it and sone cheese

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Toast? Cashew nut butter?
Both very high carb - cashew butter is about 30 percent carb - far more than I'd ever consider as part of my low carb diet.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Both very high carb - cashew butter is about 30 percent carb - far more than I'd ever consider as part of my low carb diet.
My portion is small 1 tbsp cashew butter and 1 small 400 loaf wholemeal bread at 11g carbs which appeared to be ok but I'm struggling with food as it is so I think I'm doin ok typically my carbs were about 50g or there abouts a day today obviously not great but my average bs was 7 days with some in 6s amd 1 in the 5s it's not too bad i thought

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
What do you like? I often have a leftover protein like roast chicken or a boiled egg and a green salad or raw low carb veggies with it. I currently like Italian dressing (oil and vinegar with garlic and herbs) better than mayo but that is your choice-eat what you like that is low carb. Also salami and cheese some days with sliced tomato and onion on he side. Vegetable beef soup is also very nice for lunch. There is a whole section of the forum with recipes and food ideas -take a look and see what strikes your fancy!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@coleyd Meridian cashew butter is 18.9% carb so works out at around 3g carb per tablespoon :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you are going through the difficult adjustment period when we think in terms of what we can't eat, rather than what we can.

I suggest you have a look at the low carb food lists listed in the low carb section of the forum. The list is impressively long, and the portions of those foods can be huge, satisfying and stay low carb.

And as for fat intake, have a look at the recipes on the www.dietdoctor.com website. When you do, make a note of the fat content, and the carb proportions. You will find meals often involve olive oil, mayo and butter in the same meal. For cooking and serving. Seems a horrendous amount to start with. It isn't. Just a matter of swapping carbs for fats so we dont go hungry. Plus it shows that good quality fat is acceptable and guiltfree.

From the sound of things you are getting hungry and craving carbs because you aren't eating low enough carbs and high enough fat.

Don't worry. You will get there. It is just a huge adjustment, to start with.