My Ultimate Wearable Tech....

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
... would include all the features of the devices I currently use, plus more. It would:

- be implantable, like a contraceptive implant, in a 30-second procedure

- measure glucose like a Freestyle Libre and activity like a Fitbit

- have a mitochondrial power system, so it would use glucose to fuel itself and never need replacing

- have built in GPS so it could track my runs

- use Bluetooth rather than NFC, so I could just open an app on my phone and read the data

- automatically upload data to a web-based server for more detailed analysis and graphs.

How much would you pay for one of those? What features would you add?

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Oh, small enough that you wouldn't notice it was there, of course.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- use Bluetooth rather than NFC, so I could just open an app on my phone and read the data

I think the app Librelink uses NFC so you are part way there.

I would several models to be on sale so I don't have to pay for features I will never use.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So, being a picky so and so, if it's implantable, then it's not a wearable....!

Reactions: anniehi41

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would couple that with a feature in cronomter here you could include the time you ate in that, then link it to the wearable device so that the wearable device downloaded into cronometer the actual peak you experiences after food and how long it took from the time you recorded you had eaten.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
... would include all the features of the devices I currently use, plus more. It would:

- be implantable, like a contraceptive implant, in a 30-second procedure

- measure glucose like a Freestyle Libre and activity like a Fitbit

- have a mitochondrial power system, so it would use glucose to fuel itself and never need replacing

- have built in GPS so it could track my runs

- automatically upload data to a web-based server for more detailed analysis and graphs.

I would buy one as long as it wasn't a ridiculous price. I just love gadgets!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If a Fitbit or smart watch could measure BG as a standard feature many people might not have developed type 2.

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a Fitbit that I was bought for Christmas and I was sceptical and first but now I'm hooked. It enables me to maintain focus and synchronises with my iPhone as well as my new Bathroom scales. Not cheap I grant but addressing T2DB is a priority of mine and therefore if it helps in some small way then I'm game to try anything.
What I don't get is how it thinks at 12.36pm today, I have already burnt 1600 cals when I'm only consuming around 1000-1500 a day? I've done 49mins of exercise and walked 4.52km.

Also the watch is good for tracking sleep and restlessness that could be apnia-related. The dashboard tells me a lot of detail and if I could be bothered to enter my food and drink consumption every day, it would be better still. I guess logging of BS levels would be useful although I doubt that the company would want to get involved if the results were used against them in any litigation?

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm curious to know which of those features your current wearable tech provides you with.

The Sony Smartwatch 3 is waterproof, does the step counting thing, has GPS, will Bluetooth to a Dexcom G5 to pick up blood glucose levels, then forward them onto an Android phone running xDrip+ to upload to a NightScout site for analysis.

Got mine for £60 off eBay. It's not implanted, and the battery life isn't great, but if you spend too much time telling people about it, they quickly lose interest in anything that requires contraceptives...

Stuff it needs - don't think there is a version of the Pebble app Care Portal yet - I have to resort to using my phone for that.

Coolest thing I've seen done with it - AndroidAPS and a Sooil Dana R pump means you can bolus from your watch.

Edit: And I can talk to the thing to record how many units of insulin/grams of carbs I've just had.

Attachments

• ssw_small.jpg
    ssw_small.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
What I don't get is how it thinks at 12.36pm today, I have already burnt 1600 cals when I'm only consuming around 1000-1500 a day? I've done 49mins of exercise and walked 4.52km.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a slight anomaly with calories consumed and calories used. Not only is my Resting Metabolic Rate meant to be 2300 but I actually had it measured by breathing in and out with a mask on, what I breathed in and out was measured and from that they calculate calories burned.

I only consumed 1900 calories when I had a blow out and usually keep to around 1200. Something wrong somewhere and naturally you'd expect one's own numbers, but I've checked and rechecked so many times.

Still, like the idea of gadgets.

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a slight anomaly with calories consumed and calories used. Not only is my Resting Metabolic Rate meant to be 2300 but I actually had it measured by breathing in and out with a mask on, what I breathed in and out was measured and from that they calculate calories burned.

I only consumed 1900 calories when I had a blow out and usually keep to around 1200. Something wrong somewhere and naturally you'd expect one's own numbers, but I've checked and rechecked so many times.

Still, like the idea of gadgets.
Notion from NHS that someone of my age and stature should need 2500 calories just to sustain weight is clearly wrong. Some dieticians advise that I was not eating enough and consuming enough calories and my weight gain over time didn't ring any alarm bells saying this could be wrong.
Generally speaking, human race in western world consume too much food. Some get away with this due to high levels of activity or high metabolism and many others don't of course. Ageing also comes into it. I need far less food now than I did 30years ago yet this isn't reflected in the recommendations I received.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I think the app Librelink uses NFC so you are part way there.

It does - which means I have to hold the phone in exactly the right place to read the data. With Bluetooth, the data would just magically appear on my phone.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
@CapnGrumpy - currently I wear a Fitbit Charge 2, which counts, steps, stairs climbed and records heart rate. It also claims to report distance walked and calories burned, but I don't pay any attention to that. I like it for monitoring my HR, and giving me a nudge to move - it literally buzzes if I've sat around for too long.

I'm using the Freestyle Libre, so there's my BG monitoring.

And I have a Garmin Forerunner with which I track runs and long walks, with auto-upload of routes followed to the fetcheveryone website.

There are facilities I have but don't use, e.g. my Fitbit will also track runs, but it does it y using the GPS on your phone, and I don't carry my phone with me when I run.

Re the Dexcom..... isn't that a whole lot more expensive than the Libre? I'm still withholding from my other half how much the Libre is costing me, just because I can't quite believe I justified it to myself. I'm T2 on metformin, btw, so insulin and strict carb counts don't come into it for me.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Reactions: JRTwalker