Poor 6 Monthly Results & Very Worried

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of those occasions where absent minded forgetfulness can be very helpful! ;)

Have a read up on Gliclazide

The tablets come in different doses, you may be able a suggest a transition period of smaller doses, while you find out the long term benefits of your new way of eating.

I think that health care professional have seen their patients start many a diet with all guns blazing and a dedicated attitude, only to see them fail and relapse into old habits, with weight regain and a return to the medications, with more besides. So you can understand the nurse's reluctance to make rapid changes.

The problem I have with that way of thinking is the increased risk of hypos in the short term, and if the new way of eating turns out to be sustainable, the the medication is completely unnecessary.

Well done for persisting in your investigations!

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If there is real opposition and threats made due to non compliance ask for the phone numbers of people to call if you feel you are about to collapse - or should you just dial 999 and get the medics to assist your hypo, as you don't want to die or be in a coma with your brain turned to mush.
These days when people chose to act like idiots I just act right back at them - and I've seen some great acts in my time.

johnoo

One of those occasions where absent minded forgetfulness can be very helpful! ;)

Have a read up on Gliclazide

The tablets come in different doses, you may be able a suggest a transition period of smaller doses, while you find out the long term benefits of your new way of eating.

I think that health care professional have seen their patients start many a diet with all guns blazing and a dedicated attitude, only to see them fail and relapse into old habits, with weight regain and a return to the medications, with more besides. So you can understand the nurse's reluctance to make rapid changes.

The problem I have with that way of thinking is the increased risk of hypos in the short term, and if the new way of eating turns out to be sustainable, the the medication is completely unnecessary.

Well done for persisting in your investigations!
I in no way am blaming the nurse, they have enough problems.
I'm just going to continue to "forget" the tablet for a few days & then contact the medics again with the results.

johnoo

UPDATE :- After a week trial of not taking the evening Gliclazide tablet I have been getting pre Supper BS readings of average of 5.0/5.5 & after Supper readings of 5.5/6.0.
Today phone call with nurse who agrees I should stop the evening Gliclazide tablet.
Last night felt a bit hungry before bed so had some "Ryveta" with "Marmite" on them.
Do you think this is good or bad/ any other suggestions?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent. So glad that nurse saw sense at last. Well done on those wonderful numbers. :)

I personally wouldn't have had any carbs before bedtime, but I'm not on any medication and can safely go to bed on low numbers. However, you still have medication, your morning Gliclazide. So you still need to be careful of getting too low. If the hunger got the better of me, a cup of tea or coffee with cream would have been enough for me. Others may differ in their approach.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. I am very glad that you have discussed it all with Nursey, and it is on your notes that you have stopped the Glic.
:D

KitSileya

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess the answer would be, what does your meter say? Do you go to bed immediately after eating so that you don't get to check 1hr after? How about in the middle of the nigh? With medication, I understand that you sometimes need to check at inconvenient times to avoid lows, but once to check your post-snack spike may be necessary.

johnoo

Think I'm getting on track!
Two questions about the following BS figures please, they are average results over the last three weeks
Question 1, are the figures in line with good control?
Question 2, what HbA1c figure would these figures give?
The figures are:-
Fasting early morning 6.42
2 hours after Breakfast 7.73
Before Lunch 4.3
2 hours after lunch 5.37
Before Supper 6.07
2 hours after Supper 6.70

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those post meal rises are very good, although perhaps the after breakfast one could do with improving. Is there a long gap between taking your morning fasting and eating breakfast? If so that level could be your liver continuing to dump glucose long after you get up.

It's impossible to estimate what your HbA1c may be because you have no idea what your levels are at other times. You may be seeing much higher peaks after eating before your 2 hour test. Equally you may drop over night to some nice low levels. It isn't possible to even guess. Certainly whatever you are eating sounds to be fine.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@johnoo Yes those are good figures, an average of 6.1. As @Bluetit1802 says you can't foretell HbA1c results from random tests over 3 weeks, but if you did get an average of 6.1 over the 12 weeks before your HbA1c test it would probably give you a HbA1c (IFCC) of around 36-37, in the non-diabetic range.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That "problem" is a mark in the road behind you, not where you're headed. Well done.

Never diminish a current success with a fear of a future failure. Great effort

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Breakfast - Full Fat Greek Yogurt - add handful of blue berries
Lunch - Cheese Salad - diced cheese, cucumber, tomato, beetroot, coleslaw, spring onions
Evening Meal - Chicken, cabbage, runner beans, 2-3 new potatoes, maybe a few carrots and a small amount of gravy

Other options - omelette, egg and bacon, homemade vegetable soup, boiled eggs, a couple of good sausages (high percentage of meat), cauliflower cheese and veg,

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Excellent result @johnoo! I'm sure you will now be able to maintain your progress and get down further to non-diabetic range by your next HbA1c test! :)

Horsham109

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Johnoo, sounds like you are really starting to see results! That's great.

Like your style of celebrating too!!