1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Poor 6 Monthly Results & Very Worried

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by johnoo, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

One of those occasions where absent minded forgetfulness can be very helpful! ;)

Have a read up on Gliclazide

The tablets come in different doses, you may be able a suggest a transition period of smaller doses, while you find out the long term benefits of your new way of eating.

I think that health care professional have seen their patients start many a diet with all guns blazing and a dedicated attitude, only to see them fail and relapse into old habits, with weight regain and a return to the medications, with more besides. So you can understand the nurse's reluctance to make rapid changes.

The problem I have with that way of thinking is the increased risk of hypos in the short term, and if the new way of eating turns out to be sustainable, the the medication is completely unnecessary.

Well done for persisting in your investigations!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

If there is real opposition and threats made due to non compliance ask for the phone numbers of people to call if you feel you are about to collapse - or should you just dial 999 and get the medics to assist your hypo, as you don't want to die or be in a coma with your brain turned to mush.
    These days when people chose to act like idiots I just act right back at them - and I've seen some great acts in my time.

3. johnoo

johnoo · Well-Known Member

I in no way am blaming the nurse, they have enough problems.
    I'm just going to continue to "forget" the tablet for a few days & then contact the medics again with the results.

• Like Like x 1
  4. johnoo

UPDATE :- After a week trial of not taking the evening Gliclazide tablet I have been getting pre Supper BS readings of average of 5.0/5.5 & after Supper readings of 5.5/6.0.
    Today phone call with nurse who agrees I should stop the evening Gliclazide tablet.
    Last night felt a bit hungry before bed so had some "Ryveta" with "Marmite" on them.
    Do you think this is good or bad/ any other suggestions?

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Excellent. So glad that nurse saw sense at last. Well done on those wonderful numbers. :)

I personally wouldn't have had any carbs before bedtime, but I'm not on any medication and can safely go to bed on low numbers. However, you still have medication, your morning Gliclazide. So you still need to be careful of getting too low. If the hunger got the better of me, a cup of tea or coffee with cream would have been enough for me. Others may differ in their approach.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Well done. I am very glad that you have discussed it all with Nursey, and it is on your notes that you have stopped the Glic.
    :D

7. johnoo

Thanks Bluetit
    Comments from others on the Ryvita/Marmite snack please ?

8. KitSileya

KitSileya Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I guess the answer would be, what does your meter say? Do you go to bed immediately after eating so that you don't get to check 1hr after? How about in the middle of the nigh? With medication, I understand that you sometimes need to check at inconvenient times to avoid lows, but once to check your post-snack spike may be necessary.

9. johnoo

Think I'm getting on track!
    Two questions about the following BS figures please, they are average results over the last three weeks
    Question 1, are the figures in line with good control?
    Question 2, what HbA1c figure would these figures give?
    The figures are:-
    Fasting early morning 6.42
    2 hours after Breakfast 7.73
    Before Lunch 4.3
    2 hours after lunch 5.37
    Before Supper 6.07
    2 hours after Supper 6.70

10. Bluetit1802

Those post meal rises are very good, although perhaps the after breakfast one could do with improving. Is there a long gap between taking your morning fasting and eating breakfast? If so that level could be your liver continuing to dump glucose long after you get up.

It's impossible to estimate what your HbA1c may be because you have no idea what your levels are at other times. You may be seeing much higher peaks after eating before your 2 hour test. Equally you may drop over night to some nice low levels. It isn't possible to even guess. Certainly whatever you are eating sounds to be fine.

11. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

@johnoo Yes those are good figures, an average of 6.1. As @Bluetit1802 says you can't foretell HbA1c results from random tests over 3 weeks, but if you did get an average of 6.1 over the 12 weeks before your HbA1c test it would probably give you a HbA1c (IFCC) of around 36-37, in the non-diabetic range.

12. johnoo

OK, many thanks got to wait until mid May for Blood test, hope to keep up the good work & get a decent result.
    Will update then

• Like Like x 2
  13. johnoo

Today went for the Blood Test result.
    Result was a HbA1c of 45!
    Lot better than the last result of 75.
    Also I have reduced medication cutting out 1 Gliclazide & 1 Metformin.
    Only problem now is to maintain the status.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. Bluetit1802

Well done! You must be over the moon. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

That "problem" is a mark in the road behind you, not where you're headed. Well done.

Never diminish a current success with a fear of a future failure. Great effort

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. srobertson06

srobertson06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Breakfast - Full Fat Greek Yogurt - add handful of blue berries
    Lunch - Cheese Salad - diced cheese, cucumber, tomato, beetroot, coleslaw, spring onions
    Evening Meal - Chicken, cabbage, runner beans, 2-3 new potatoes, maybe a few carrots and a small amount of gravy

Other options - omelette, egg and bacon, homemade vegetable soup, boiled eggs, a couple of good sausages (high percentage of meat), cauliflower cheese and veg,

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Excellent result @johnoo! I'm sure you will now be able to maintain your progress and get down further to non-diabetic range by your next HbA1c test! :)

18. johnoo

Thanks for all of your support & I just hope that my posts & frustrations have helped others.
    PS Celebrated with 3 glasses of red wine & a chicken salad.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Horsham109

Horsham109 Type 2 · Member

Well done Johnoo, sounds like you are really starting to see results! That's great.

Like your style of celebrating too!!

20. johnoo

Same celebration the next night as well, 3 glasses of red wine, just missed out the Chicken salad.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook