Concerned about weight loss...

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, wondering if anyone has any advice regarding weight loss and how to stop it?

I'm still losing 2-3lbs per week on LCHF and I think I've reached the stage where I really don't want to lose any more.

I bought some scales today that are telling me:

Weight 10st 11lbs
BMI 21.1
Body fat 12%
Water 60%

I was 13 stone 3 months ago.

I have no idea what these numbers represent or indeed if they are good. I understand BMI and that's about it.

I just don't want to lose any more weight and really don't want to increase my carb intake either.

Any suggestions please?

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good evening @Jamesuk9 3 months ago I had the same worries as you have now,I went from a 39 inch waist to a 35 inch waist,my shirt size went from x large down to medium,and everywhere I went people kept saying goodness me you have lost weight,are you alright,it took about 2 months before it levelled out ,I was 12 st 10lbs went down to 10 stone 6lbs,it has stopped now and I have remained the same weight for the last month,I did stop one of my two metformin tablets a day with my GP's permission,and that's when I stopped losing the weight,whether that was a coincidence or not I don't know:)

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening @Jamesuk9 3 months ago I had the same worries as you have now,I went from a 39 inch waist to a 35 inch waist,my shirt size went from x large down to medium,and everywhere I went people kept saying goodness me you have lost weight,are you alright,it took about 2 months before it levelled out ,I was 12 st 10lbs went down to 10 stone 6lbs,it has stopped now and I have remained the same weight for the last month,I did stop one of my two metformin tablets a day with my GP's permission,and that's when I stopped losing the weight,whether that was a coincidence or not I don't know:)
Thanks friend. I expected to level out by now too but have lost another 6 lbs in the past fortnight.

It's worrying me now.

Jo123

Hi James, I had this problem my bmi went down to 19. It now has stabilised at 21. I eat loads of nuts, extra Virginia olive oil and that has made a big difference. Macadamia nuts are particularly calorific. I certainly didn't up my carbs.

Reactions: Jamesuk9 and Freema

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do have a similar problem as I am also trying to stabilize my weight. Over 12 months ago I was about 18 St 7 Lb I am now 10 St 6 Lb and my family and friends think that I have lost too much I am trying not to increase carbs if possible but it is difficult to find a balance I know so best of luck and if you manage it please do let us know how.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi, wondering if anyone has any advice regarding weight loss and how to stop it?

I'm still losing 2-3lbs per week on LCHF and I think I've reached the stage where I really don't want to lose any more.

I bought some scales today that are telling me:

Weight 10st 11lbs
BMI 21.1
Body fat 12%
Water 60%

I was 13 stone 3 months ago.

I have no idea what these numbers represent or indeed if they are good. I understand BMI and that's about it.

I just don't want to lose any more weight and really don't want to increase my carb intake either.

Any suggestions please?
Hi @Jamesuk9 a BMI of 21.1 is lower end of normal, you shouldn't go below 19. Body fat of 12% is just above elite, you must be close to a six pack showing at that level. Normal body water is around 50% depending on age and body composition (taken from Withings Scales description). If you increase nuts if you eat them, this should help arrest the weight loss.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jamesuk9 . You say that you are on LCHF dietary regime.
That's very vague. What are you classing as LCHF?
You say the weight loss is beginning to worry you now.
Would revisiting your current dietary regime and reassessing what the impact it is having on your well being.
LCHF works for so many people but if it is causing you to be worried then it needs you to probably find a level that satisfies what you want to achieve.

Reactions: Jamesuk9

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jamesuk9 a BMI of 21.1 is lower end of normal, you shouldn't go below 19. Body fat of 12% is just above elite, you must be close to a six pack showing at that level. Normal body water is around 50% depending on age and body composition (taken from Withings Scales description). If you increase nuts if you eat them, this should help arrest the weight loss.
Yes, I actually thought I had no more left to lose but still managed 6 lbs in past fortnight...
I have zero visible fat left, waist from 34 to 30 and chest 42.

I have been eating one meal a day for a while, I need to eat more for sure but am never hungry any more and feel I am forcing myself.

Reactions: Freema

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do have a similar problem as I am also trying to stabilize my weight. Over 12 months ago I was about 18 St 7 Lb I am now 10 St 6 Lb and my family and friends think that I have lost too much I am trying not to increase carbs if possible but it is difficult to find a balance I know so best of luck and if you manage it please do let us know how.
Wow that's a huge weight loss..

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi James, I had this problem my bmi went down to 19. It now has stabilised at 21. I eat loads of nuts, extra Virginia olive oil and that has made a big difference. Macadamia nuts are particularly calorific. I certainly didn't up my carbs.
I'll try more nuts, I have plenty here.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jamesuk9 . You say that you are on LCHF dietary regime.
That's very vague. What are you classing as LCHF?
You say the weight loss is beginning to worry you now.
Would revisiting your current dietary regime and reassessing what the impact it is having on your well being.
LCHF works for so many people but if it is causing you to be worried then it needs you to probably find a level that satisfies what you want to achieve.
I think you may be right.

I don't count calories, I just eat when I'm hungry. Usually once a day. I'm finding I am rarely hungry these days.

Yesterday I ate 2 strawberries dipped in greek yogurt. Then for my evening meal I ate 2 pork chops, 2 fries eggs, some cauli and broccoli and a Lidl protein roll.

That's pretty much the kind of things I eat these days. Meat plus salad and cheese or meat plus veg. Plus a lidl roll a day and sometimes a dessert of berries and cream or yogurt.

I guess I need to eat more.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yes, I actually thought I had no more left to lose but still managed 6 lbs in past fortnight...
I have zero visible fat left, waist from 34 to 30 and chest 42.

I have been eating one meal a day for a while, I need to eat more for sure but am never hungry any more and feel I am forcing myself.
No wonder, one insulin response a day, I did OMAD a couple of weeks ago and felt great so respect for doing this as a lifestyle. . I remember watching a YouTube video about a body builder who did this, and thought how is this possible; it is great to understand both theoretically and practically with LCHF why this is possible.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Any suggestions please?

If you want to know what you think the "experts" reckon you should weigh: - http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/height-weight-chart.aspx

If you'd like to know what the "experts" think you should eat in calories to maintain weight (or lose (less than) or gain(more than))

Harris Benedict 1918 - 1919
BMR calculation for men (metric) BMR = 66.5 + ( 13.75 × weight in kg ) + ( 5.003 × height in cm ) – ( 6.755 × age in years )

As revised by Roza and Shizgal in 1984
Men BMR = 88.362 + (13.397 × weight in kg) + (4.799 × height in cm) - (5.677 × age in years)

As revise by Miffin and St Jeor in 1990
Men BMR = (10 × weight in kg) + (6.25 × height in cm) - (5 × age in years) + 5

Reactions: Freema and Jamesuk9

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Nuts and seeds can definitely add weight on!! I've added them in to my diet (even though they do come out of me whole!!) the calories defintely work their way into my body!! Since adding in more substantial amounts I've successfully gone from a too thin size 8 to a great size 10!!

Reactions: Freema and Jamesuk9

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've added more nuts and cheese recently, @Jamesuk9 . You and I are the same weight and similar BMI (tall female) and I'm looking rather angular. A cheese course after tea, and a snack of nuts daily keep me from thinning out any more.

But I eat four times a day (at least)! I would struggle to eat as seldom as you do.

I haven't upped carbs in order to stabilise or gain. But I am eating more food volume, including fatty snacks, to stave off hunger from exercising. This morning I had a coffee in a department store with a mate - and my snack of choice was a tub of clotted cream. Yumzers!

:)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you may be right.

I don't count calories, I just eat when I'm hungry. Usually once a day. I'm finding I am rarely hungry these days.

Yesterday I ate 2 strawberries dipped in greek yogurt. Then for my evening meal I ate 2 pork chops, 2 fries eggs, some cauli and broccoli and a Lidl protein roll.

That's pretty much the kind of things I eat these days. Meat plus salad and cheese or meat plus veg. Plus a lidl roll a day and sometimes a dessert of berries and cream or yogurt.

I guess I need to eat more.
Have you tried having butter on your broc and cauli, and plenty butter on your rolls? I sometimes grate some Parmesan over my veg, then either pop them in the oven, if it's in use for the main element of my meal, or under the grill for a few minutes. That can add a bit of crunch.

Nom, nom.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried having butter on your broc and cauli, and plenty butter on your rolls? I sometimes grate some Parmesan over my veg, then either pop them in the oven, if it's in use for the main element of my meal, or under the grill for a few minutes. That can add a bit of crunch.

Nom, nom.

Thats one thing I do religiously. After years of low fat spread, I went back to real butter and go thru it like it's going out of fashion. I love it. I also go through loads of cream in coffee and tea, probably 10 mugs a day easily.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried bulletproof coffee or cocoa ? I have mine with double cream and coconut oil.. adds calories and tastes great too