How to clean lancet device?

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sensing a possible gender gap here (gets ready to duck). Could it be that females are more likely to be concerned about hygiene and cleanliness, and cleaning their lancet devices than males ?

Never thought I'd say it, but Sid Bonkers speaks for me [historical reference ; ) ]
As an MDIer I do wash my hands every time though.

Thoughts ?

Geoff

Cheeky! I'm a lady I'll have you know. Just a lazy one ;)

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheeky! I'm a lady I'll have you know. Just a lazy one ;)
I never put people into categories. Some women are better at reading maps than men, some better at parking than men. Some men can multitask. Having had a wife and two daughters, they seemed to bath more often than I suspect two sons would have done. Most men really are from Mars - ask most women !

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think Ive ever cleaned one, how would it get dirty its kept in a pouch and only comes out for a second or two and then goes back, I do change the cartridge occasionally but I use each needle more than once and never had a problem.

Perhaps Im in a minority here, but its just never occurred to me to clean it...
To be honest I have never thought about regular cleaning with alchohol wipes and I do use the needle until it starts to hurt before I change it I do very occasionally give it a wipe with some anti bacterial hand stuff on a tissue

Last edited:
Reactions: Yogamommy5
M

ME_Valentijn

I'm sensing a possible gender gap here (gets ready to duck). Could it be that females are more likely to be concerned about hygiene and cleanliness, and cleaning their lancet devices than males ?
There's probably cultural influence as well. The Dutch, for example, don't seem to have quite the same belief in germs that I see in my American brethren :p I'm not really bothered by blood getting on my lancing device, though I do wipe it off so it doesn't stain and look creepier than it already is. But I'd probably want to give it a proper wipe-down before and after letting someone else use it, to make sure they're not getting my blood on them from it, or vice-versa.

Trebor2516

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In six years I've never cleaned it. I'm still alive and have never had an infection from this. I also use the same lancet for months at a time. 25 years and I still have fingers - hooray!
I use a new lancet every time, another tip I was given by the nurse, don't test with the first drop of blood.Wipe it away with a clean swab squeeze to get a second sample, then test that. I found it did make a favourable difference.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I use a new lancet every time, another tip I was given by the nurse, don't test with the first drop of blood.Wipe it away with a clean swab squeeze to get a second sample, then test that. I found it did make a favourable difference.

You shouldnt squeeze to get blood out as squeezing does something to the blood and gives a less accurate reading and you should always use the first drop of blood, it may be more favorable to wipe and squeeze but its a lot less accurate.

I cant remember the reason for this but it is a fact, there was a member who used to give the reason for this but she doesnt post here any more but its a topic that has come up on numerous occasions.

You should reset your lancet a little deeper and there will be no need to squeeze at all and that is the way to get the most accurate reading and always use the first and freshest drop of blood.