My needle phobic hubby

Dawny47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

I finally got my hubby to the doctors yesterday after much nagging as he had been feeling rough for ages. I have been suspecting for ages that he might be diabetic but we have a major problem as in my hubby is needle phobic . I don't understand it myself as I'm not like that and I do find it frustrating but after listening to him yesterday at the doctors I am beginning to understand .
Anyway the doctor tested his urine and he said it was full of sugar and without testing his blood which he can't do at the moment he is as convinced as he can be that my hubby is diabetic. Well he actually said something about being a high blood pressure diabetic ? . And needs to lose five stone.
The doctor is concerned that he won't have a blood test so he had arranged councilling for him , CBT I think but in the mean time I'm really concerned and worried . I don't know what to do regarding food, I can't test his blood sugar levels so I don't know where I am with that either . The doctor had referred us to the hospital to see the nurses in the diabetic clinic but we have to wait for that as well . I guess I'm just frightened and worried and could do with any help that's out there regarding what to give him to eat , what to look out for , warning signs etc

Please help me

Dawn x

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not an easy situation. The problem could be 'what if its something else'? In the first instance maybe address the weight issue, and this could help with the diabetes, if that's what it is. Many people on here find the Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet helps with weight loss and also with reducing blood glucose (BG) also referred to as blood sugar (BS). There's loads of info on here, but also some books around. Look up Tom Kerridge as he lost 11 stone that way. I've lost almost 10kg since Christmas, and although I'm on tablets too, my BG is now in a safer range. I feel way better for it too, and I reckon its 90% what I'm eating and 10% the drugs.

I understand there's an issue with needles, but the lancets (mini spikes) used to prick your finger to take your own test aren't seen during the test. Of course you do get a spot of blood. Is this also an issue? It might be but worth considering if it could get you over the problem.

Reactions: Prem51

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That is for sure a tricky situation especially when you don't have definite answers. I have been told by my endocrinologist that if your urine has sugar in it, it means your blood sugar has gone over 10 mmol... that's too high. If you keep sugar levels below 10 you shouldn't get sugar in urine he said.

I think the best place for you to start is to cut down the amount of carbohydrates your hubby eats with his meals... including snacks. Replace what you've taken out with non starchy vegetables. It's the carbs that need to be controlled to reduce sugar level in the blood... and in turn it should help with weight loss as well. I agree with @lowedb has mentioned about the LCHF diet as a good place to start... there's a section on this forum for it that may be helpful for you to get a better idea what to avoid, etc. Hopefully you can get some more concrete answers about your hubby's medical situation sooner than later. I wish you the best. :)

tagging @daisy1 for the forum welcome information too. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do reduce the carbs right down and have enough proteins and fats to keep feeling full. When you finger-prick for the blood test, you don't see the needle so your husband may be OK with that?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Good for your doctor taking this seriously and referring your husband to where he can hopefully get some help with this.
It must be difficult for the both of you.

Regarding the high blood pressure, it is a different problem from high blood glucose, but the two often go hand in hand, and sometimes when we get our blood glucose (and our weight) under control, the blood pressure may improve at the same time. Fortunately, bp testing doesn't involve needles!

The problem with phobias, is that they are very, very real to the person experiencing them. No one outside the fear experience can appreciate quite how strong the fear is - it just circumvents the conscious mind (says the spider phobic). Hopefully the CBT sessions will help.

Please let us know how you, and he, get on?

Reactions: Chook and Liam1955

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Daibell makes a good point: the venous blood test at the clinic will require a needle, so that might be difficult, but the finger prick tests really don't have a needle as such- it's quite a different mechanism to an injection. Type 2's don't necessarily have *that* much needle business going on; I know it's not easy with a phobia, but hopefully that may be some small comfort.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In any event, there's some good advice above- cut the carbs: I did that and lost 4 stone. Whatever the problem is, I think getting the weight down will help.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went from needle phobic to type 1 injecting 5 or six times a day and find pricking eight times. Point is it may be hard for him to get tested but it's doable if needs must. There are things like hypnosis and rescue remedy. Bottom line is the effects of remaining undiagnosed could be at way worse so if he can find a way it'll pay dividends
Good luck to you both

Reactions: hurf0rd and Prem51

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wishing your husband good luck with his therapy. What about regular urine tests to see if things are going in the right direction. Could the GP prescribe or do this? I'm sure I remember my dad doing this in the early 80's he is LADA and was very needlephobic.

I know a freestyle libra would have been a good investment for my dad. Please look it up and see if it would suit your husband. It is expensive and not perfect but could help you get to grips with the impact of changes in diet needed.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I tested my urine I got the very slightest of changes in colour a couple of times - otherwise no change at all.
I was eating low carb foods all the time, and that made a big difference to my blood test results.
Perhaps altering your husband's diet so that he isn't seeing positive urine tests would be of greatest help to him.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi dawnny47 don't know if this may help my sister in law just called in she's a staff nurse at our hospital just mentioned to her what happens if someone has a needle phobia rememberd you hubby she said they can now find out all sorts of things blood sugars etc by using a machine that they simply press on your arm don't know how it works only thing is your husband would have to attend a hospital appointment not available to GPS etc and definitely no needles involved?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi dawnny47 don't know if this may help my sister in law just called in she's a staff nurse at our hospital just mentioned to her what happens if someone has a needle phobia rememberd you hubby she said they can now find out all sorts of things blood sugars etc by using a machine that they simply press on your arm don't know how it works only thing is your husband would have to attend a hospital appointment not available to GPS etc and definitely no needles involved?

Could maybe get blood sugar levels this way but I doubt you can get an A1c without a blood test. Sure would be nice though o_O

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Libre sensor was mentioned by @Alison Campbell and that was my thought too.

I appreciate there is a 'needle' involved but, when the device 'clicks' to insert the very little and fine tube, the loud click and 'jump' of the device is enough to distract so as not to feel the needle.

I appreciate it's not a cheap option but, as once it's in situ, it's there for 2 weeks and all he, or you, have to do is to scan, which is totally painless, and there is then so much data available to you.

Do you feel this might be an option for your husband?

Also, I do like the info @chalup has come up with via her sister in law - well done, chalup :)

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I totally understand his fear and anxiety as I was needle phobic myself prior to diagnosis. I would become very stressed and blood tests in the past were horrendous when Drs and nurses (sometimes two or three) failed to get a vein. I still don't like needles but knew I had to get past it.

So, what helped me? Well, hubby comes with me each time and I drink lots of water the night before. I also drink lots of water in the morning before I go (usually at least a pint ) as it really does make it easier to get a vein. There is also a nurse that's absolutely brilliant at my surgery at taking blood that relaxes me before she does it. They can (I believe) use a finer needle so you barely feel it. I've also attended CBT courses in the past - one of which was "Managing Panic, Anxiety & Worry".

I was diagnosed in Sept 2015 and somehow managed to finger prick myself by Jan 2016. It takes courage and guts when you have a phobia so I hope he manages to go and get tested.

As for dietary advice, yes cut the carbs, processed and sugary food.

Good Luck! :)

Dawny47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow thank you so much for all of your responses this is all really helpful .

My hubby is awful for sweet things. He loves chocolate , puddings, diet lemonade , full fat coke, but the worst of all is cheese, he will eat at least three blocks a week. I have been at him for ages about his weight and the way he feels i.e falling asleep all the time especially in the afternoons, dizzy, sweaty, but he does crave sugar. The weight is the problem and we know this it's just I want to put him on the right diet that is not going to make his sugar worse. So from what I am reading high fat low carb is the way to go? I think I can manage to get him around to the finger prick test .

Dawny47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just one more thing. How do I know if he's experiencing a hypo or the other one ( sorry I don't know the terminology )