Can pregnancy hormones cause high blood sugar levels?

DiabeticPanda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know it sounds a silly question but for the passed two weeks I've been feeling constantly exhausted, fighting high BGL almost daily and then today I've been feeling a little nauseous (but then I did take Kalms Night last night which can cause nausea apparently). I'm due on my period this week so I don't have any massive cause for concern ... and I'm on the pill but I can't help wondering if there's more to it?

I thought coming on here would be better than googling ;) any advice would be appreciated!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it's possible that early pregnancy or implantation can cause highs. But do you know what is a much better way to find out if you could be pregnant than googling or asking forums? Peeing on a stick.

DiabeticPanda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I already did ... it was negative so I'm trying to be a bit more objective about how I'm feeling and other possible causes. I guess it's just a case of waiting to see what happens. I just wondered if anyone had experienced high bloods in early pregnancy.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I already did ... it was negative so I'm trying to be a bit more active about how I'm feeling and other possible causes. I guess it's just a case of waiting to see what happens. I just wondered if anyone had experienced high bloods in early pregnancy.
If I remember rightly, I did. Breathlessness with tiredness. Unbeknown at the time, pregnant and raised bgs. Metformin wasn't enough. Once confirmed after a negative pregnancy test I was introduced to insulin.
2nd pregnancy was very similiar.
Good luck!

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Take another test over a week if your period is late. You could be just taking it too early. I took a test before newyear thinking I will double check before I drink and it came back negative and then still my period didn't come so I checked when I was 10 day late and I was pregnant!!
Xx

Reactions: ickihun

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, pregnancy can cause high sugars early on. I think my higher sugars started at around 5weeks, but I had other signs of pregnancy before I tested. I never bother testing until my period is due, as I don't find the early tests accurate. So my advice is to,assume you might be (ie avoid alcohol, etc) and test again.