Fasting is just stupid..... says my husband!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What would you suggest? Can't have nuts or pork scratchings, waiting for a dentist appointment because of scratchings!
Avocado? fatty and low carb and more importantly soft!
Or a couple of glugs of double cream from the pot..but as I say if you aren't hungry then don't sweat it.
If you feel good then you probably are good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason I'm a bit hesitant is that you are still in the early stages and I wouldn't want you to get really hungry and just junk it all because of trying for too long a fast at once. I was doing intermittent for 6 months before I started extended fasts and eating ultra low carb for that time as well.
As Dr Fung says .. your body isn't stupid.. if you are hungry then eat.. if you're not then carry on..
Hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: 13lizanne

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Avocado? fatty and low carb and more importantly soft!
Or a couple of glugs of double cream from the pot..but as I say if you aren't hungry then don't sweat it.
If you feel good then you probably are good.

I have an avocado every day, also double cream in coffee, forgot to add the cream to my list!
Had a slightly earlier tea tonight 6 to 7pm slow eating!
Spoots - razor clams to be posh, a surprise gift, so cooked them straight away in butter. Along with lots of veg, including an avocado and spinach, also bacon. Feel stuffed! Will have breakfast tomorrow and skip lunch.

Reactions: hankjam

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Your husband is talking out of his hat.... LCHF and IF are most certainly the most effective and quickest way to achieve better control.

That said, if you're on meds you'll need to monitor closely as the drops can be significant and quick.
Her husband doesn't wear a hat, but has quite a lot of experience of fasting, having been brought up Catholic back when Catholicism was real hard-line stuff! For the record, neither the fasting nor the Catholicism did him one whit of good......

I LEFT THE COMPUTER ON THIS PAGE AND MY HUSBAND IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ABOVE POST, COULDN'T WORK OUT HOW THIS WAS NEXT TO MY NAME! JUST REALISED WHY. MAYBE HE READ MORE AND THIS IS WHY HE NO LONGER NAGS ME! :bookworm:

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an avocado every day, also double cream in coffee, forgot to add the cream to my list!
Had a slightly earlier tea tonight 6 to 7pm slow eating!
Spoots - razor clams to be posh, a surprise gift, so cooked them straight away in butter. Along with lots of veg, including an avocado and spinach, also bacon. Feel stuffed! Will have breakfast tomorrow and skip lunch.

Sounds nice.. my only observation might be that I found it better to skip breakfast to extend the overnight fast and then have lunch and dinner rather than eat every 12 hours.. but as always what ever works best for you . be interesting to see how your sugars react and then you can show your OH how successful your fasting is.. you never know you may convert him too...

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sounds nice.. my only observation might be that I found it better to skip breakfast to extend the overnight fast and then have lunch and dinner rather than eat every 12 hours.. but as always what ever works best for you . be interesting to see how your sugars react and then you can show your OH how successful your fasting is.. you never know you may convert him too...

Will follow your advice. In fact it is probably better as I'm at work at 7am until 2.30 and breakfast would be at 6.30 far too early!

Reactions: 13lizanne

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just broken fast as I'm on 11.30 lunch at work, so did 16 1/2 hrs.
Tucking into 4 different slices of salami meat, 6 garlic stuffed olives, 12 prawns, and slice of brie. I forgot the avocado. Reading before lunch 7.8. Didn't feel hungry at all. Drinking water with a dash of lemon juice. Back to work at 12noon.

2 hrs later 8.0
3 1/2 hrs after long 1/2 walk home still 8.0
No cream in house so off to supermarket to buy some for my coffee :)

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I agree with @bulkbiker that, when fasting, its probably best to skip breakfast. I also find on non-fasting days that when I have breakfast I really don't feel like lunch.

Your food sounds absolutely lovely - I'm on a fasting day. :)

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just back from my 1st pilates class. Tested my BS and it is now...... drum roll.......... 6.0
So off to have my tea, a salad with antipasto meats, baby red peppers stuffed with crream cheese, garlic stuffed with garlic, a few prawns, rocket leaves, 4 baby tomatoes, 1 avocado (seeing as I forgot to put it into my lunch for work), bacon lardons fried til crispy. Then fasting until either 11.30 or 12noon, depending upon lunch break at work.

Reactions: Brunneria

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from my 1st pilates class. Tested my BS and it is now...... drum roll.......... 6.0
So off to have my tea, a salad with antipasto meats, baby red peppers stuffed with crream cheese, garlic stuffed with garlic, a few prawns, rocket leaves, 4 baby tomatoes, 1 avocado (seeing as I forgot to put it into my lunch for work), bacon lardons fried til crispy. Then fasting until either 11.30 or 12noon, depending upon lunch break at work.
Sounds great super results already... you are doing really well.. keep it up..

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Was going to have lunch at 1.30pm, but don't actually feel hungry - though have been eyeing up my fresh lidl high protein rolls. 9 freshly baked rolls were put out and guess how many I got.... 9! Some for the freezer, sorry those who can't get now! But instead of lunch I have decided that I'm going for the big one, for me anyway, a 24 hr fast, so tea will be at 7.30pm Wonder what my BS levels will be then? Husband out for his weekly lunch in a hotel with the local Rotary club, so he will have no idea I've not eaten, so don't tell him!
Have been having a coffee with cream, 9am, 12.45pm and probably at least 2 more before 7pm Taking water too

Reactions: Ultramum

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've started in intermittent fasting, so after my breakfast yesterday I didn't eat until 19.40 My husband who knows NOTHING about LCHF or Fasting and doesn't want to know says I'm wrong. Well the proof is in the pudding (So to speak, I've not had any pudding!)
readings yesterday:
Fasting @ 05.44 (awake extra early) 8.1 (have been in the high 9's)
Full cooked breakfast @ 9am
No lunch
Aqua zumba @ 15.00
BS @ 16.12 6.4
BS before tea @ 19.35 (roast chicken and lots of above ground veg) 6.9
BS after meal @21.58 8.1

Approx: Cals 458 Protein 43.6 Carbs 5.3 Fat 36.3

FBS this morning at 7.30am 7.9

No breakfast, but a small coffee and double cream

Lunch at 13.00 Full cooked

I was told again that I'm not eating properly. Tea will be cold chicken and a lot of veg.... He had high carbs for lunch and probably will for tea too....
I have to admit, my husband was a bit hesitant when I said about doing the 5:2, worried about my sugar levels etc. I could understand his concern, until I got him to watch the Horizon programme with Michael Moseley and also after promising to always have some food with me in case I feel faint/ill. I am now 11 weeks in and 11 pounds lighter, sleep and feel better, so he is now resigned to agreeing that it does work. I have now got to the stage where I look forward to my fast days, as I am in control, don't get hungry and know that I am doing so much good for my body. Good Luck, I'm sure you will be ok. xxx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was going to have lunch at 1.30pm, but don't actually feel hungry - though have been eyeing up my fresh lidl high protein rolls. 9 freshly baked rolls were put out and guess how many I got.... 9! Some for the freezer, sorry those who can't get now! But instead of lunch I have decided that I'm going for the big one, for me anyway, a 24 hr fast, so tea will be at 7.30pm Wonder what my BS levels will be then? Husband out for his weekly lunch in a hotel with the local Rotary club, so he will have no idea I've not eaten, so don't tell him!
Have been having a coffee with cream, 9am, 12.45pm and probably at least 2 more before 7pm Taking water too
How's the fasting going..need some updates..

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How's the fasting going..need some updates..[/QUOTE

Hi @bulkbiker I'm doing ok
.My BS levels are coming down slowly, no big jumps in the morning (apart from once). My husband has accepted my new diet, or maybe he's hoping for the insurance payment
I'm doing really low carb and don't miss carbs at all. On work days when I'm on a whole day shift I take a small tub with assorted meats, Spanish or Italian type with a small piece of cheese and 6 olives, plus a bottle of water with a chunk of cucumber in it for flavour.
Next week I have a wedding to go to. I can't remember what the starter was I ordered (months ago) but for the main I ordered a sweet potato and something quiche. Will the sweet potato be ok? It's too late to change now, I think it has a side salad. I'll leave the pastry anyway. Will have to drink plenty of water and dance!
Today I did a 24 hr fast, the next one will be on Fri and Sat. I'm not having breakfast now and don't miss it.
For tea at 8.30 I had a steak with mushroom and onion in a garlic cream sauce, along with asparagus and lots of spinach. I forgot to test before the meal but 2 hrs later I was 7.4 _ I still feel stuffed!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you've got this..
The sweet potato... hmm personally I wouldn't but treat it as an experiment to see if your body can handle it.. then you'll know for future reference anyway.
Well done for ignoring hubby and going with what feels right for you.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have no idea why I picked that. It was over so year ago though. I should have gone for the lamb.
Readings this morning really bad, 9.4 I had a very restless night, weird dreams and cramp. Had no high carbs or bad food yesterday, so blaming my liver dump. I think my BS levels are lower the mornings when I don't have to go to work. Work has changed so much in the past 9 years I have been there. It isn't the same job I applied for. No chance of retirement until I'm 66 it will be a long 4 yrs 8 mths and 23 days!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not that you're counting!

I often seem to have higher BG's after a bad nights sleep too..odd things bodies..

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Took a small tub of meats and cheese to work with me for later, but will try and resist it and go for the 24 hr fast.
I'm on holiday at the end of the week, so maybe that will help?