Fasting is just stupid..... says my husband!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Her husband doesn't wear a hat, but has quite a lot of experience of fasting, having been brought up Catholic back when Catholicism was real hard-line stuff! For the record, neither the fasting nor the Catholicism did him one whit of good......

Ask him where the name breakfast might originate? We all do some sort of fasting overnight don't we, unless we spend our sleeping hours midnight snacking... Some people just go a little longer before breaking their fast, is all...

I have a husband who suddenly became an instant expert on low carb diets when I started on mine - to the extent of advising me that I didn't know anything about that way of eating, in spite of it actually working for me and him noticing the weight loss I had from it, but never ever having tried it himself. And a real gem of barmy advice from this same expert: it's OK to eat food containing added sugar because there's less of it!! So now I know and must stand corrected, and should revert to eating sugar filled junk all day...:wideyed::banghead:

Just keep up your good work and heed advice from those who actually know from experience not opinion - however well meaning!

Robbity

Reactions: Books1 and Ultramum

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My response to anyone who questions missing meals and fasting is to simply remind them that we are just like bears (no - we don't need to go in the woods if that's what they're thinking) and show me a bear that has evolved to need three square meals at regular times? In evolutionary terms, our bodies haven't changed very much since the times we hunted alongside those bears btw.
What we are are all brainwashed with habitual conditioning that favours those selling the messages than those buying them!

Reactions: berylc

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Ask him where the name breakfast might originate? We all do some sort of fasting overnight don't we, unless we spend our sleeping hours midnight snacking... Some people just go a little longer before breaking their fast, is all...

I have a husband who suddenly became an instant expert on low carb diets when I started on mine - to the extent of advising me that I didn't know anything about that way of eating, in spite of it actually working for me and him noticing the weight loss I had from it, but never ever having tried it himself. And a real gem of barmy advice from this same expert: it's OK to eat food containing added sugar because there's less of it!! So now I know and must stand corrected, and should revert to eating sugar filled junk all day...:wideyed::banghead:

Just keep up your good work and heed advice from those who actually know from experience not opinion - however well meaning!

Robbity

@Robbity the post about being a Catholic was written by my husband, I left the page open by mistake. He must have read more as he's never lectured me again about it! It's only just clicked in my brain that the post was from him!!!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Twice today at work visitors have commented how well I look and how much weight I've lost and how have I done it. I briefly explain the LCHF diet and intermittent fasting. Feeling good!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
BS better tonight. 6.7 before tea tonight (3 egg omlette with bacon lardons and prawns. Cup coffee and cream). 3 hrs later 7.5
Just having some Apple cider vinegar in some sugar free lemonade. 3 slices of Spanish meat and 3 olives, small cup of coffee and cream.
5.45 alarm call for work tomorrow morning, so hope after all that I can sleep.
Sweet dreams everyone and low sugars the morn!

Last edited:

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
6.5 tonight at bedtime. Had a medium piece of Normandy soft cheese from Lidl, very tasty, and 1 lg spoon extra thick double cream with my nightly vitamins. Wonder what the morning will bring!
Still on intermittent fasting with no breakfast. Friday is 24 hr fasting :)

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
24 hr fasting over and just before tea 6.2 :)
Heading off on the ferry tomorrow, then long slow bus to Inverness, arriving about 7 1/2 hrs after I leave my house. So hoping to do another fast, but will have a tub of ham and cheese with me. Hope the bus is as cold as it usually is!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You must live somewhere pretty amazing for it to be a ferry ride and a long slow bus ride to Inverness. Was that your first 24 hour fast? Well done, it's not as easy (or hard) as people think. x

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You must live somewhere pretty amazing for it to be a ferry ride and a long slow bus ride to Inverness. Was that your first 24 hour fast? Well done, it's not as easy (or hard) as people think. x

Hi @Chook I live in the Orkney Islands, top righthand side of Scotland, head north past John O'Groats and look right! It never used to take so long travelling down by bus, but Stagecoach decided to change the bus timetable to suit them and NOT the public, so I have a bus once on the mainland to Wick, then I have a 1 1/2 hr wait in Wick for a bus that takes forever to get to Inverness! They cancelled ALL of the buses to go from Wick for the Gills Bay Ferry to Orkney on a Sunday. Some service they give now!

As to 24 hr fasting I don't find it too hard, this was my 2nd one. I do drink of coffee and cream through the day when I'm not at work (I only do the 24 hr when not working). Before tea tonight I was 6.2 Since doing the intermittent fasting (missing breakfast every day, except Sunday if I'm home, then I have egg bacon and mushrooms) my average reading has gone from 9 down to 7.2
I'm taking Cider apple vinegar in some sugar free lemonade at bedtime, with 1/8th size spoon of Orkney honey.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm in Yorkshire and they 're-scheduled' all the buses from this village last year - down from six buses an hour to one bus that missed out half the village. There was so many complaints (some through our MP) that they caved in and we now have four an hour.

Good luck with the fasting. I think I did it too often and my metabolism got used to it because I stopped losing weight and didn't get the reduction in my BG that I used to.

Reactions: berylc

neer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think fasting do work a lot on the blood sugar. I tried fasting yesterday and did not eat anything after 10 am. I read my BS to be at 68 mg/dl at 4 hours and then 75 at fifth and it kept oscillating right there in that range. Then in the night at 8 I had my dinner with mainly protein and veggies my blood sugar after 1 and 2 hours were 105 and 95 resp. Seems like protein did not affect my blood glucose like carbs did.

I also did try the apple cider vinegar thing and I checked my fasting blood sugar just now and it's 68 mg/dl and it used to be around 105-110 in general.

I am starting to think fasting with lchf and vinegar is really really working for me.

Reactions: Salvia

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well done on the fasting berylc

Been doing 16 hr fast everyday for past 6 months, just a pint of water and a small matcha green tea when I wake up, then lunch at 1:30pm, dinner around 19:30pm
24hr fast on Saturdays, just plenty of water as I am usually doing something on the house or in the garden, I feel amazing on Saturdays with an abundance of energy, the fasting gets easier and more enjoyable, so keep up the good work!!

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Mr B was terrified that I would hypo if I fasted.
Nearly a year later, I have not had one fasting related hypo, although if I eat too many carbs, I will hypo. Eating carbs causes them (for me), but fasting doesn't.

I think the 'you must eat regular meals' is a weird idea. I mean, the human race has survived in spite of fasting and famine, glut and seasonal eating patterns for the whole of its history. Missing lunch is no biggie, is it?

Indeed, it's difficult even convincing health-conscious people (like my wife) that not eating 5-6 small meals during the day is not ideal from an evolutionary perspective.

I'm hoping to prove her wrong so she'll start periodic fasting with me too. She eats super low cal all the time and just won't listen that cycles of feast + famine is what your body expects, and indeed requires to live to its maximum lifespan and remain healthy throughout.

I think we've all been brainwashed and seduces by the food industry, not just about eating low fat, sugar-free and high carb, but the idea that we need 3 (or more) squares a day, every day of our lives. The scientific evidence for the contrary is overwhelming at this point.

Reactions: VioletViolet

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My first foray into fasting was a 7 day fast. My big dropped from mid 7's to anywhere from 3.8-5.9. I drank coffee with 18% cream, green tea and water only. The first two days were hard but after that I felt great. I now fast pretty much all the time. I only eat maybe one meal every 2 days. I don't get really hungry so I don't eat. Luckily, I have a Rx for testing supplies so 100 strips and lancets cost me $20.00 cdn.