Dexcom sensor life .

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have recently had a Dexcom and am using it with an animas pump. But the sensor life has been dissapointing. 13 days,12 days , 8 days.
and yet I have not knocked them, got them wet or have them come loose. The last one I had a wide bandage over with a hole in and lasted just 8 days. I even left one on for 3 weeks and occasionally it would work though not good or accurate. These have also had skin tac applied first.
I cannot afford to pay £50 every week so will occasionally use it. I guess they are only supposed to last one week trouble is so many say they last longer. So how do some of you get them to last a long time advice please.

Reactions: Just_Me_Rachel

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just stick it on and leave it until I'm not getting any readings and just ??? That's pretty much all the thought I put into it.

I definitely get it wet. I shower.

I probably occasionally knock it.

I don't use skin tac. If the adhesive gets particularly peely I might tape it down with micropore.

With G4 I was getting three weeks of decent readings. Either you can or you can't get them to last, it might just be individual, maybe the way your body heals around the sensor doesn't let it keep functioning. Keeping well hydrated is supposed to help. Calibrate while you are in normal range and flat lining. Don't take paracetamol.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I built an xDrip kit (mostly to see how it worked) and have lent it to a friend using a Vibe. She has said that the pump only picks up her G4 Dexcom for 2 weeks, but the xDrip will pick it up for 4 weeks.

The paracetamol thing seems to be a bit individual - some people read massively high if they take it - and I've avoided it ever since starting on a Dexcom, but others have had no issues.

Sensor lifespan is also variable - I've seen traces from people who are getting great results after 4 or 5 weeks, but I only reliably get around 2 on a G5. I think it comes down to how much sensor noise you tolerate. With the official software, any time the sensor can't give an accurate reading, you get ??? but this is in place of giving you a reading that you might take as gospel. Sometimes drinking some water or just leaving it will allow it to recover.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
In a similar place to the Libre? Do you know why the arm works best?
I am thinking the sensor measures the fluid when it goes into the sensor via the tube that goes into you and by putting it on an arm it could be downhill. Is this corrcct.
thankyou for a reply...

Last edited:

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I built an xDrip kit (mostly to see how it worked) and have lent it to a friend using a Vibe. She has said that the pump only picks up her G4 Dexcom for 2 weeks, but the xDrip will pick it up for 4 weeks.

The paracetamol thing seems to be a bit individual - some people read massively high if they take it - and I've avoided it ever since starting on a Dexcom, but others have had no issues.

Sensor lifespan is also variable - I've seen traces from people who are getting great results after 4 or 5 weeks, but I only reliably get around 2 on a G5. I think it comes down to how much sensor noise you tolerate. With the official software, any time the sensor can't give an accurate reading, you get ??? but this is in place of giving you a reading that you might take as gospel. Sometimes drinking some water or just leaving it will allow it to recover.
Thanks for your help. I left my last one on for a further 2 weeks but only got about 4hours usefull use. I sometimes find drinking water helps but not for long. I did'nt really want to go to the expense of x drip as I have spent £250 and not got much use out of it. I did take the transmitter off and noticed it was quite wet inside on one. Seemed to be my fluid. I dryed it, even washed it out with water then dryed it but no good

D

Deleted Account

I am on my second Dexcom sensor (thankfully, I was given four on a free trial). My first lasted about 9 days. When I contacted the Johnson and Johnson sales rep who gave me the trial, she explained the problem was likely to be that my body became "distressed" around the sensor. This did not surprise me as it was starting to itch (although I used SkinTac).
I am experimenting on the best place to put it. I have read before that the arm may be the best in terms of lifespan. However, it is not a great place in terms of aesthetics and having muscly arms (I work out), I struggled to find enough fat to place the Libre (I got a free trial of that too).
I have put my latest sensor a little higher on my stomach but avoiding my waistband: where most people would have a spare tyre. So far I have only been wearing it 5 days so cannot comment on its longevity.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @helensaramay I've used Libre and Dex sensors when I was down at 9% body fat on my arms, and had no issues at that level, so I think you'd be surprised how low you can get without issues....

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using my arm for some years and get 4-5 wks from each sensor, I did have one that lasted 3 wks but that was my shortest.

Djdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been using my arm for some years and get 4-5 wks from each sensor, I did have one that lasted 3 wks but that was my shortest.

chas C where can I buy dexcom sensors in Scotland? im assuming online? also I can use my iphone with this yes? and will I need anything else apart from the sensors and my iphone?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
chas C where can I buy dexcom sensors in Scotland? im assuming online? also I can use my iphone with this yes? and will I need anything else apart from the sensors and my iphone?

Dexcom UK is who you need to purchase them from, there are two types, the G4 and the G5. The G5 works with an iPhone. The G4 needs its own receiver.

Reactions: Djdiabetic

Winterwatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So how would I order this? I can't see anything on their website?

Click on the shopping basket (get started), then "interested in the Dexcom CGM/get started here", fill out your details and they will send you an email with a price listing/contact numbers for ordering etc.