Blood checks for Type 1s

Dave3389

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, a quick question. Has anyone had a letter from their doctors surgery telling them you have to have a certain meter ? Got a letter lAst week telling me I was no longer allowed to use my contour does this sound right ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @dave3389 :)

If it's a meter you don't like, get your DSN to contact your surgery. That might help. My surgery gave me a hopeless meter so I just carried on using the one I had and explained why I needed to.

Dave3389

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The meter I currently use is fantastic connects to my iPhone etc. When I phoned the drs the diabetic nurse said every patient is getting the same meter as it's cheaper on test strips. Was curious to see if this has happened to anyone else

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unless you need a specific function of a meter like a bolus calculator or Bluetooth/wireless technology it wont be an issue....

its likely they want to keep costs down by getting you to use cheaper test strips....

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN said that within reason Type 1s can have any meter they want. She also said many GP surgeries don't know that Type 1s have different entitlements re meters and strips (because of carb counting I believe).

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The meter I currently use is fantastic connects to my iPhone etc. When I phoned the drs the diabetic nurse said every patient is getting the same meter as it's cheaper on test strips. Was curious to see if this has happened to anyone else

Was that the surgery nurse or the hospital DSN? If it was the surgery one, you could try the DSN. If you can show why you need your current meter, that might be enough.

If your surgery nurse is like mine, their knowledge of Type 1 may be lacking...

Reactions: Sibyl