Rare test, shock result!

cineman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. High BG levels
Hi everyone, I've had much help from people on here in the past, so thought I would just ask for an opinion or two. My diabetes nurse always tells me that I MUSTN'T test myself anymore, as I am on Metformin. Anyway, I like to do the odd test just to be sure, (she would probably have me shot if she found out). Normally, I was anything from about 5-9, with the occasional 11. However, testing my bg on Wednesday afternoon, it was a never-before-seen 16.2! Later that evening, it was the same and later still 15.2. Making sure to take my (absolutely huge slow-release) tablets, 1000mg morning and night (2000 daily), I was surprised to see this. The next morning it was down to 11.0. Later that night, having been round for a mate's birthday, where we had a celebratory take-away curry (naughty I know), I took a reading four hours after the meal, it was 21.4! Is this why the nurse tells me to never test myself? I wondered if my meter may be a little off? I have absolutely none of the symptoms that I am supposed to be getting with a reading like this and feel totally fine. All the while the meter keeps screaming at me 'Ketones?'. I've lost the test solution somewhere and think it may have been thrown out. I have an unopened batch of test strips, which have exactly the same date (07/17) on, as the ones I am currently using. Should I open them? Anyway, the reading this morning was 10.8, so it seems to be going down, albeit rather slowly. My surgery is not a lot of good, as I cannot see anyone until next week and the emergency service number and drop-in centre have never been much help. I daren't tell my nurse that I have been testing again, as she would likely explode. I had an HbA1c done last October, but as I had one last April too, they refused to tell me the result, as they now only test once a year!? Should I wait until my next 'proper' test in April this year, or risk the wrath of the deadly diabetes nurse? Any help greatly received, thank you...

Reactions: Freema

cineman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes. High BG levels
Just to add, I am suddenly being a very good boy and am hardly going anywhere near even as much as a single carbohydrate. Well no more than 80 a day. I am trying to exercise more, but have a lot of work on and an arthritic hip now, so not so easy anymore.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem to need to almost stop eating carb if that doesn't help your numbers down fast in 3 days .... then maybe you need to have an evaluation with your GP of other meds

By the way stupid not to keep strickt control most will slide upwards if They dont measure at least once daily

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@cineman

It's your body, your wellbeing and your diabetes so tell the nurse to bog off. If you want to test (which is the sensible thing to do) and you are funding it yourself then it's absolutely nothing to do with her. I've got the joy of my annual review next week and anticipate having that same conversation. :(

Your curry... a lot of restaurant and prepacked curries have got fats and quite a lit of sugar in and maybe you ate it with rice and naans? The fat will have slowed down the spike.

If I were you I'd have a few days eating very low carb until your meter readings are at a good level - and maybe think about giving up carby stuff like rice, bread, pasta, spuds and anything containing sugar.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@cineman well you seem to know the culprit(s)
A few Q's if I may
How long have you been diabetic?
Are you on any other meds?

Your Nurse must be one hell of an ogre! It is your life, and your diabetes. It has four fifths of very little to do with the Nurse whether you test or not. When you do take a reading you recognise that it is high. Please for your own sake, take control of you condition. Yes do open the other pot of strips, and order some more.

Aim for http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html over the medium to short term

Reactions: cineman

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think most of us T2s not on insulin are told not to test. We all ignore this, buy our own meters, and test regularly, every day. It is the only way to gain and then keep control, otherwise, like you we are working blind and could end up with the shock you had. Just ignore her, nod, say thank you, and test anyway.

As for not giving you your last results because the test wasn't due, that is appalling. Are you in England? If so, your surgery should have put all test results on line by now. They were asked to do this before April 2016 although a few are a bit behind. Ask and see if they do.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no symptoms I could detect and my level at diagnosis was 17.1, with Hba1c of 91.
By testing I dropped my levels to somewhere near normal quite quickly. I found out my results just by going to reception and persuading the clerk to read them out - then I picked myself up and asked her to read them again.
Metformin was an absolute nightmare for me, but I could not see any difference between when I was taking it and when I had stopped - apart from the terrible trots going away and I stopped itching all over and aching - butt perhaps it is a wonder drug for some. Mostly people not taking it, from what I read.

Last edited:

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your nurse is not the one who has diabetes. You have discovered, by testing, what these foods do to you. It's your body and she has no right to tell you not to test. Will she offer to have laser eye surgery or amputation in your place ?
My surgery don't believe I should be testing either, but I have great control on diet alone now, so they don't argue any more.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If so, your surgery should have put all test results on line by now. They were asked to do this before April 2016 although a few are a bit behind. Ask and see if they do.

It seems they are allowed to choose what data to put online though. My surgery runs the online system, but the only data available is my medication. They are not going to put test results on 'because it causes more trouble than it's worth'. I can't even get my blood test results from them by asking, they tell me they have given me everything when I know they haven't. This was even after the GP sent a note telling them to give me the results. Well at least it gives me good cause to excuse myself from Statins since the Cholesterol test must have been a figment of someones imagination.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I've had much help from people on here in the past, so thought I would just ask for an opinion or two. My diabetes nurse always tells me that I MUSTN'T test myself anymore, as I am on Metformin. Anyway, I like to do the odd test just to be sure, (she would probably have me shot if she found out). Normally, I was anything from about 5-9, with the occasional 11. However, testing my bg on Wednesday afternoon, it was a never-before-seen 16.2! Later that evening, it was the same and later still 15.2. Making sure to take my (absolutely huge slow-release) tablets, 1000mg morning and night (2000 daily), I was surprised to see this. The next morning it was down to 11.0. Later that night, having been round for a mate's birthday, where we had a celebratory take-away curry (naughty I know), I took a reading four hours after the meal, it was 21.4! Is this why the nurse tells me to never test myself? I wondered if my meter may be a little off? I have absolutely none of the symptoms that I am supposed to be getting with a reading like this and feel totally fine. All the while the meter keeps screaming at me 'Ketones?'. I've lost the test solution somewhere and think it may have been thrown out. I have an unopened batch of test strips, which have exactly the same date (07/17) on, as the ones I am currently using. Should I open them? Anyway, the reading this morning was 10.8, so it seems to be going down, albeit rather slowly. My surgery is not a lot of good, as I cannot see anyone until next week and the emergency service number and drop-in centre have never been much help. I daren't tell my nurse that I have been testing again, as she would likely explode. I had an HbA1c done last October, but as I had one last April too, they refused to tell me the result, as they now only test once a year!? Should I wait until my next 'proper' test in April this year, or risk the wrath of the deadly diabetes nurse? Any help greatly received, thank you...
Surely if you are on insulin you should be testing anyway. When I asked, somewhat optimistically, if I could be prescribed strips I was told no because I was not on insulin.

Reactions: cineman and Freema

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Surely if you are on insulin you should be testing anyway. When I asked, somewhat optimistically, if I could be prescribed strips I was told no because I was not on insulin.
The OP isn't on insulin - only Metformin.

Reactions: cineman

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Ok - I've just noticed that I'm listed as being insulin dependent as well even though I'm diet only so not sure what us going on!!
They added some categories and it looks like anyone who was designated as type 2 got defaulted to type 2 with insulin.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok - I've just noticed that I'm listed as being insulin dependent as well even though I'm diet only so not sure what us going on!!

And some people see different things. Under your avatar it says "Type 2 - well known member" Nothing else. I can't see any of these defaulted T2s with insulin. There are other like me, and others who can see it. It is all a dog's dinner.There is a thread about it somewhere, but @Administrator has not replied.

You can go back to your profile page and change it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems they are allowed to choose what data to put online though. My surgery runs the online system, but the only data available is my medication. They are not going to put test results on 'because it causes more trouble than it's worth'. I can't even get my blood test results from them by asking, they tell me they have given me everything when I know they haven't. This was even after the GP sent a note telling them to give me the results. Well at least it gives me good cause to excuse myself from Statins since the Cholesterol test must have been a figment of someones imagination.

You may like to consider changing surgeries if you can. Yours isn't following current guidelines.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may like to consider changing surgeries if you can. Yours isn't following current guidelines.
I am looking into it. Funnily enough at this afternoons blood test I was handed a scrap of paper that told me how to get my blood test results. Wait 7 days and call a phone number.

On a FB group for the local area, there is a conversation going on which includes how local GPs are providing these kind of services. One of our local councillors said 'your health is too important to use online services'. Seems I truly live in an area that hasn't emerged from the dark ages*.

*Dark ages == pre Prestel online services. (look it up if you are too young).

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If that was me I would just tell the Nurse I will test as much as I like, it's my body and my money not yours so what are you going to do about it? Honestly some of these surgeries I've read about on here sound like they belong in North Korea and we need to stand up to these people. As for your readings well I'd go and see them about these high numbers and tell them you are a bit worried, you may need some adjustment to your medication

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you mean your meter is screaming "ketones"? Does your meter measure ketones?

Anyway, you should use your meter to lower your blood glucose levels. Here's a web page on how to do that:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

Some meters have a 'Ketones?' warning when BG readings are above a certain level. I think somewhere around 15. I had it when I first started using my GlucoRx Nexus. Within a few days with LCHF and meds, I don't see it any more. Maybe that's what is being referred to?

Reactions: cineman and Freema