Excellent doctor appointment but gained weight :(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, @AndBreathe you make a valid point along with @Energize if I was allergic to any other kind of food they would be a lot more sympathetic. It's only a couple of friends but I suppose they think they have my best interests at heart in a screwed up way.

It was my doctor that suggested low carb diet, and the discussion I had with him yesterday he's totally behind it. Our aim is to try to stop increasing my meds and also keep me from using insulin for as long as possible. He was open to me trying to get my BS levels diwn by diet before he started my on insulin and I have had nothing but support for my choices.

I know my sister knows a lot about diabetes, she'd my mums carer and she does control mums levels by diet alone, but, the highest level my mums been is no where near where mine were sitting. So we are just going to have to agree to disagree on my diet. I'm in control of what I eat, it's my body and to be honest let them get on with it...

I am feeling a lot better, I'm more active than I've been in years and to be honest the thought of going back is not a good one.

It was stressing me, which is never a good thing when we had yet another argument about pasta and the amount I should be eating...

Our nearest and dearest don't like to "see us going without", but to be honest, they wouldn't like to see us without our health either. I'm sure they mean well. I know those who would say "surely one or a little won't hurt" certainly meant well, but if eating something upset your tummy, sending you rushing to the little room, they would be unlikely to be persuading you to eat it.

I've just been advised to go gluten-free, which I can't say I'm ecstatic about, but I'll just have to get on with it in the same way I handled the carbs. We'll all get the hang of it soon enough. :)

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Miahara, that's it exactly, I'm happy what I'm eating, my doctors happy with what I'm eating, we discussed it today and he's happy which ever way I want to go, staying really low carb or upping it to mod carb it's my decission, but I don't understand the negativity and why they are disagreeing with my doctor
I would carry on as you are and show them the results when you are down to the weight you want to be! Don't mind what they say hun, you are the one doing the programme not them.... if you are happy, and your doctor is happy what is there for them to worry about!

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Bs0lth

Regarding our friends/rels attitude and always on at you about your low carb diet, how about telling them that it's been identified that you're body is 'intolerant of carbs', hence avoiding them??? Then, change the subject while they're working that one out ;)

If they were gluten intolerant / Coeliac, would they still eat gluten, knowing it would make them ill???

If allergic to a particular food, which made them feel ill or did harm to their body, would they still eat it???

If they were particularly sensitive to something, like perfume, knowing they would itch for the next 48 hrs???

So, in the same manner, you've discovered particular foods are no longer good for you so you choose to avoid them, which your doctor is fully behind you :)

I'm sure, with the consistent and 'broken record' replies from you, they will soon give up trying to advise you YAY :)

Good luck

I'm telling people that it has been discovered that I'm carb intolerant (not going to tell them I've found out by testing with a meter!) and that carbohydrates do bad things to my body.

A few 'sorry but I can't eat that because of my health' comments should stop those who try to force carbs on you.

I always make sure I have a couple of Babybel cheeses about my person just in case so I have something to eat that won't send my BG wappy.

Reactions: Energize

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always make sure I have a couple of Babybel cheeses about my person just in case so I have something to eat that won't send my BG wappy.
Ha Ha, loved just reading this bit, @Ultramum, 'coz I'm just eating a couple of these!!! Love 'em ... ;)

Reactions: Ultramum

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi, I've read your threads as I've found them both entertaining and informative
I'm pleased, in my old age I try to be as pleasant as I can to people, especially as I don't know them and even when I disagree strongly. Hopefully I will continue to do so.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
You seem to have the art of disagreeing without being disagreeable : )
To be honest, I'm trying not to let my BP go bonkers, there's enough **** going on in the world to raise it.

I'm just seeing FB messages from my welsh family gleefully celebrating Ireland's win over England, not because they support Ireland but because the didn't want England to win the whatever number of games unbeaten. Something I've never understood over the years, still, my BP is good.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Our nearest and dearest don't like to "see us going without", but to be honest, they wouldn't like to see us without our health either. I'm sure they mean well. I know those who would say "surely one or a little won't hurt" certainly meant well, but if eating something upset your tummy, sending you rushing to the little room, they would be unlikely to be persuading you to eat it.

I've just been advised to go gluten-free, which I can't say I'm ecstatic about, but I'll just have to get on with it in the same way I handled the carbs. We'll all get the hang of it soon enough. :)
It's just another hurdle fir you to over come isn't it?

I just wish they would take those horrible hurdles away thanks... I'm getting fed up with just about coming to terms with one medical problem and running smack bang into another :)

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm telling people that it has been discovered that I'm carb intolerant (not going to tell them I've found out by testing with a meter!) and that carbohydrates do bad things to my body.

A few 'sorry but I can't eat that because of my health' comments should stop those who try to force carbs on you.

I went to visit a friend tonight, and ended up in Asda trying to find something to eat until I got home.... Picked these up as well as hotdogs... Somebody should start a thread... What's the strangest things you eat on low carb diet :)

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
M
To be honest, I'm trying not to let my BP go bonkers, there's enough **** going on in the world to raise it.

I'm just seeing FB messages from my welsh family gleefully celebrating Ireland's win over England, not because they support Ireland but because the didn't want England to win the whatever number of games unbeaten. Something I've never understood over the years, still, my BP is good.
ines dropped... It was a small celebration time :)

It's not going back up I tell you :)

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm pleased, in my old age I try to be as pleasant as I can to people, especially as I don't know them and even when I disagree strongly. Hopefully I will continue to do so.
To be honest, it's hood to have peopke disagree with you on occasion, for one it makes good conversation and for two it can make you stop and question why you disagree.

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Bs0lth I gained a lot of weight in a short period of time when started on a medication in the early 90's. I'm absolutely shocked that medical practitioners are still doing this to their patients. Decades later, I have lost 40 pounds, have 40 pounds to go, but in no hurry, though I totally get wanting to wear a "stunning new dress".

You're doing so fantastic. Way to go! :)

Winnie look at any anti depressant or mood stabilisers and the most common side effect is weight gain. Which you think ok it's only going to be a small weight gain, or that you can control your diet to compensate and hopefully stay static, but that's not what happens. They often trigger increased appetite and that also adds to your misery. I went from a very confident happy go lucky girl to really depressed, I became very self conscious about my then huge size. I couldnt get clothes to fit, that has alway been a problem because I'm 6ft1 but this took it into a completely different realm. But the biggest side effect of gaining weight was the pain... My back is crumbling the added weight made my back pain unbearable and I couldn't walk... And the cycle continued... The more weight I gained the more pain I was in the more depressed I got...

I tried every diet under the sun and nothing worked, I was hungry all of the time and I was ready to take a short walk of a very high bridge. At this point I couldn't cope with anything. I ended up loosing my job because of it. And I sank so low I really couldn't go on.

I talked to my doctor and came off the mood stabilisers and was left carrying so much excess weight I really didn't know what to do. I was still so inactive I couldn't Excersise or even walk to the car.

Coming off the meds actually reduced my appetite :) and I lost my first half a stone, which was my target for the first three months :) my friend who has two pugs got me walking... Only once a week he would come over and I would pain killer up to the ears and we would walk, I lived close to the beach do we would walk as far as I could, then stop and rest and then carry on until we reached the beach, stop there for a coffee and then do the same back... 2 1/2 hours to do just over a mile...

But it was the start... I actually enjoyed the challenge of walking, and getting back I was exhausted but did it... I have gradually upped my activity level and gradually lost weight, it's been tough but it's come off. And it's taken a heck of a lot longer to come off than go on.

Now, today, I'm so much more active, I walk with the puggies at least twice a week, a 2.5 mile walk will take about 45 mins, I also walk ... Or I should say I'm walked by my daughters dog at least twice a week and I will walk any chance I get.

The loss of weight has reduced my back pain, and that's had a knock on effect with my moods... It's a different cycle now I'm on. If I'm not feeling right with the world I borrow a dog and walk... It really helps. I've now found it helps lower my blood sugar to..

But, my goal for a new dress was to try to loose a stone from new year to the beginning of March. It seemed attainable, and I've been in a positive mood about it... I cut out a lot of things, ate a decent diet and was feeling great... I actually still feel great :) 14kg since Christmas lost (2 stone) and I got into the posh dress I wanted...

The diabetes diagnosis is a blip, but it's changed my mind about a lot of things. I need to get it under control, because, even though I'm in a good pkace and positive at the moment my mood will crash at some point, and I have to be able to carry on when that happens, I suppose that's why I'm so obsessive about gaining weight at the moment, I really can't go back to the pain again...

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
May I suggest your sister 'thinks' she knows a lot about diabetes. ;) When you start to understand diabetes, surely controlling carbs is the only way to go? Maybe in time, your sister will see 'the light' and realise why you are doing what you are doing. Such a shame that your mum won't be able to benefit from the same diet principles that you have discovered.

I'm really pleased to read you are now feeling a lot better :)

I'm desperately trying to convince them... All I get is mum can't eat my diet because she has high cholesterol (so do I) and she can't eat fat etc... However, I have tried and I think I'm starting to get through to my mum that she really can't have cereal, toast and jam and orange juice for breakfast. That she should limit he fruit intake, and eating a punnet of grapes is not really good... So hopefully in time it might sink in that it's ok

I'm really hoping that there is a big reduction in my cholesterol levels when I get my next blood work done, if that the case I'm actually going to evidence to back up what I'm doing :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bs0lth thank you sharing how you gained weight, also how you got your health back on track. And may I add you have a wonderful friend, the one who'd walk 2 1/2 hours with you to get you moving in those early days. :)

It's experiences like yours (and mine) that makes me very hesitant to take even over the counter medications now. One of the benefits of eating really healthy foods on the low carb diet and regularly engaging in physical activity is your need for many of those medications disappears. I can't remember the last time I took something for a headache or upset stomach. I haven't looked but I'm willing to bet they're all out of date now. Yay! :)

Our 28 year old son is likely developing diabetes. He had a triglyceride level of 400 mg/dl last year (optimal level is <150 mg/dl). My husband and I are trying to figure out ways to encourage him to eat less sugar and highly processed seed oils and grains, more healthy sources of protein and fat, and more vegetables, legumes, and nuts.

Your description of what your Mom is eating is concerning. Is her high cholesterol due to high triglycerides or high LDL? I ask only because fat intake has no affect on triglycerides, but carbohydrates sure do.

Just so you're prepared, I've read that when we're losing weight, total cholesterol goes up temporarily, but levels off once the weight loss stops. From there as you continue to eat low carb triglycerides continue to drop too.

In this presentation, Dr. Gerber overviews the research of Joseph Kraft, M.D. and explains how we know from the research that hyperinsulinemia has a far greater impact on cardiovascular health than cholesterol...

The first time I watched it I had a hard time staying awake, but the more I watch it, pausing the lecture as needed to read what's on the screen and in relation to what he's saying, the more I'm understanding. Going to go watch again right now. I want to get a calcium scan of my heart this year. Just need to save the money. With my 35 year history of blood sugar issues beginning with hypoglycemia, I need a baseline to see if atherosclerosis is progressing or not over the next two years. If it is, I'll need to tweak my diet more.

Hoping by losing more weight my glucose levels will improve to the point where the prospect of taking a diabetes medication no longer looms. :)

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Bs0lth thank you sharing how you gained weight, also how you got your health back on track. And may I add you have a wonderful friend, the one who'd walk 2 1/2 hours with you to get you moving in those early days. :)

It's experiences like yours (and mine) that makes me very hesitant to take even over the counter medications now. One of the benefits of eating really healthy foods on the low carb diet and regularly engaging in physical activity is your need for many of those medications disappears. I can't remember the last time I took something for a headache or upset stomach. I haven't looked but I'm willing to bet they're all out of date now. Yay! :)

Our 28 year old son is likely developing diabetes. He had a triglyceride level of 400 mg/dl last year (optimal level is <150 mg/dl). My husband and I are trying to figure out ways to encourage him to eat less sugar and highly processed seed oils and grains, more healthy sources of protein and fat, and more vegetables, legumes, and nuts.

Your description of what your Mom is eating is concerning. Is her high cholesterol due to high triglycerides or high LDL? I ask only because fat intake has no affect on triglycerides, but carbohydrates sure do.

Just so you're prepared, I've read that when we're losing weight, total cholesterol goes up temporarily, but levels off once the weight loss stops. From there as you continue to eat low carb triglycerides continue to drop too.

In this presentation, Dr. Gerber overviews the research of Joseph Kraft, M.D. and explains how we know from the research that hyperinsulinemia has a far greater impact on cardiovascular health than cholesterol...

The first time I watched it I had a hard time staying awake, but the more I watch it, pausing the lecture as needed to read what's on the screen and in relation to what he's saying, the more I'm understanding. Going to go watch again right now. I want to get a calcium scan of my heart this year. Just need to save the money. With my 35 year history of blood sugar issues beginning with hypoglycemia, I need a baseline to see if atherosclerosis is progressing or not over the next two years. If it is, I'll need to tweak my diet more.

Hoping by losing more weight my glucose levels will improve to the point where the prospect of taking a diabetes medication no longer looms. :)

Hi Winnie

My friend is still trying to help me, we still walk often but I think it's a relief to him that it doesn't take as long. We were talking about it on Friday, it used to be unbearable, but you know it did me the world of good. He's a healthy eating nut to and has come up with lots of different things to eat.. It's been a bit of a life saver. My profile picture is one of his puggies. I love that little doggie and would have her tomorrow, but love it when they come to visit :)

I can completely understand your worry about your son, my daughter has just turned 30 and I worry about her. She had a lot of problems when she was younger, and at about 21 she stopped taking all her meds and has been to the doctor once since then. Her diet has improved, over the years, she's stopped drinking sugary drinks, but still drinks energy ones, and yo be honest it scares me. But only she can change. I have asked her to test her blood sugar but she's refused. I have to say though, she's pretty fit, she has a fog that needs a lot of walking and will walk at least 2 hours a day. But what can you do to change them? Not a lot...

I'm also terrified about what my mum eats for breakfast, I've managed to convince her to cut some of it out, but I'm not really sure that she understands... She keeps telling me she used to have diabetes.... And her cholesterol, I'm unsure because I don't deal with that my sister does, but I'm going to ask...

I'm going to watch your video, it looks interesting and knowledge is power as they say...

I'm so really pleased I found this forum, reading people's experiences really helps, and if my posts help anyone I will be so happy, because people like you have really helped me :)

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FACT: Our bodies do not need carbs. That is to say we will not drop dead without them. There are no essential nutrients in carbs that the body cannot find elsewhere. However the other two food groups are essential in that they are the only source of some essential nutrients

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to give you an idea. Two pints of water weigh about a kilo (OK 1.75 pints is a kilo). That's nothing to be concerned about.