ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Living-by-the-beach I enjoyed reading about your fight with your diabetes.
Which just confirms everyone is different.
I cannot exercise at the moment but hoping that will change.
I took canagliflozin (diabetes med) I've been mostly immobile ever since. Again I'm hoping that can be reversed before I can reverse my diabetes (which I don't believe in, I may add. Once diabetic always diabetic. I know from experience and not diagnosed at 6yrs old when I was clearly diabetic then, 40yrs ago.)
Everyone has to find a step in the right direction for THEM.
I think that is exactly what you were saying too.

I just felt I had to make people realise cycling doesn't have to be the answer. Just a walk to the house gate and back, then to the next street (block) and then to their local shop can make a positive start.
A start in the right direction.
However again from experience this can be a huge job when depressed. This is where the gp comes in and helps with the depression. Collectively medically and physically any immobile person can make a step in the right direction.
I'm abit overwelmed at the thoughts of a huge cycle ride. I'm definitely not ready for that.
Little steps will work.
Like tiny weight loss in the right direction.
Little and often is the key! As a starting point.

I'm feeling overwelmed just with the thoughts of huge exercise. My stress levels rebuff that idea and worry me - immediately.

I know my limitations and my full capabilities, when I'm fit. Just today isn't that day.

Little and often with gp help can conquer depression for a healthy start.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Living-by-the-beach I enjoyed reading about your fight with your diabetes.
Which just confirms everyone is different.
I cannot exercise at the moment but hoping that will change.
I took canagliflozin (diabetes med) I've been mostly immobile ever since. Again I'm hoping that can be reversed before I can reverse my diabetes (which I don't believe in, I may add. Once diabetic always diabetic. I know from experience and not diagnosed at 6yrs old when I was clearly diabetic then, 40yrs ago.)
Everyone has to find a step in the right direction for THEM.
I think that is exactly what you were saying too.

I just felt I had to make people realise cycling doesn't have to be the answer. Just a walk to the house gate and back, then to the next street (block) and then to their local shop can make a positive start.
A start in the right direction.
However again from experience this can be a huge job when depressed. This is where the gp comes in and helps with the depression. Collectively medically and physically any immobile person can make a step in the right direction.
I'm abit overwelmed at the thoughts of a huge cycle ride. I'm definitely not ready for that.
Little steps will work.
Like tiny weight loss in the right direction.
Little and often is the key! As a starting point.

I'm feeling overwelmed just with the thoughts of huge exercise. My stress levels rebuff that idea and worry me - immediately.

I know my limitations and my full capabilities, when I'm fit. Just today isn't that day.

Little and often with gp help can conquer depression for a healthy start.

@ickihun

I totally get what you're saying. Consider though Geoff Whitington, a 10 year veteran of T2DM. By all accounts of his sons he could barely ride 2 miles when he first started. The interesting thing is when you get outside and cycle (if only for a ride to the local shops) you see the world around you and when you get back you'll feel a small bit better. It may be minusculely better but certainly better. Endorphins will also kick in and you will feel better! Then do it again and again and further and further. Remember the journey of 1000 miles begins with but one step..

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

helga_t75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
When I was first diagnosed I went out and got a rescue dog. That's her on the left.

She is an awesome listener, a great friend, gives me a routine, and she makes me go for walks which not only improves my mood but is obv good exercise too. She has kept me going through some dark days.
I think everyone newly diagnosed should get one, if their personal circumstances and finances possibly allow it (and they understand, totally, that it is for life).

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
When I was first diagnosed I went out and got a rescue dog. That's her on the left.

She is an awesome listener, a great friend, gives me a routine, and she makes me go for walks which not only improves my mood but is obv good exercise too. She has kept me going through some dark days.
I think everyone newly diagnosed should get one, if their personal circumstances and finances possibly allow it (and they understand, totally, that it is for life).

I have two cats, aged 17 and 7, they are a wonderful and a big comfort to me, especially Pebbles the 7 year old, who has been through things with me, she 'knew' :cat::cat:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people, liars, and untrustworthy people.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the great info. I am burned out on all the med's as well.

@lisasimpkins53

We all do get tired of diabetes. It's a difficult disease to manage. I feel I'm blessed, because I live in a country where the weather is relatively mild & I can get out and exercise. For me seeing sunshine & daylight is the key. I have a couple of bikes and some wonderful weather in which to ride. I pedal most days.. The vistas are always changing and I've always myself to compete against. I just did a personal best on a ride of 24 miles. I beat my previous best time by about 10 minutes.. I can sense I am getting healthier. Its a work in progress.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@lisasimpkins53

We all do get tired of diabetes. It's a difficult disease to manage. I feel I'm blessed, because I live in a country where the weather is relatively mild & I can get out and exercise. For me seeing sunshine & daylight is the key. I have a couple of bikes and some wonderful weather in which to ride. I pedal most days.. The vistas are always changing and I've always myself to compete against. I just did a personal best on a ride of 24 miles. I beat my previous best time by about 10 minutes.. I can sense I am getting healthier. Its a work in progress.

I live in the US where we have nothing but rain at the present time.This summer will be so hot and dry. I am an amputee and have Charcot Foot so it makes it very difficult to do anything.My balance is way off..at times I fall over as if I was drunk..LOL

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in the US where we have nothing but rain at the present time.This summer will be so hot and dry. I am an amputee and have Charcot Foot so it makes it very difficult to do anything.My balance is way off..at times I fall over as if I was drunk..LOL

@lisasimpkins53

I live in the US too. I am so sorry to hear of the amputation.That has frightened me also. I've a friend with both feet removed (via diabetic neglect). http://www.fixingdad.com/watch-the-film had Geoff Whitington with Charcot's foot and it was about to be amputed. He has put himself into remission via lots of cycling. If you can find some cash try and buy yourself a trike over @ www.craigslist.com and get out and ride. I find that with being outside in the fresh air, my attitude improves immensely. Where in the US are you located?

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I live in the US too. Sorry to hear of the amputation. I've a friend with both feet removed (thru diabetic neglect). http://www.fixingdad.com/watch-the-film had Geoff Whitington with Charcot's foot too. He has put himself into remission via cycling. If you can spare the cash try and find yourself a trike on www.craigslist.com and get out and ride. I find that with being outside in the fresh air, my attitude improves all the time. Where in the US are you located?

I am presently watching the video you supplied ..it sounds a lot like my life.I was diagnosed 4 years ago and didn't understand what I was supposed to do as far as health etc.I have since learned to take better care of myself and my feet.One thing ..I don't get enough exercise so I plan to ride and see if I can handle that.I love the video by the way it is very inspiring..Thank you.OH! I am in W.V.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I like @Living-by-the-beach 's attitude. Anything is possible.
We shouldnt close our mind to pushing our boundaries but I think baby steps at first, then the world's your oyster! ;)

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am presently watching the video you supplied ..it sounds a lot like my life.I was diagnosed 4 years ago and didn't understand what I was supposed to do as far as health etc.I have since learned to take better care of myself and my feet.One thing ..I don't get enough exercise so I plan to ride and see if I can handle that.I love the video by the way it is very inspiring..Thank you.OH! I am in W.V.

@lisasimpkins53

Here's a URL for Searchtempest to help find a trike.

http://tinyurl.com/Searchtempest-Trike

You may need to modify it to suit where you live..One other thing that will help is reading this

http://tinyurl.com/Dr-JasonFung that is the short cut to Dr Jason Fung 's website

He is a well known nephrologist who works in Ontario Canada. He's a very special and blessed doctor who's in our corner helping us with his profound knowledge of type 2 diabetes. Its a long site to read but if you dig in you'll get the gist quickly..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@lisasimpkins53

Here's a URL for Searchtempest to help find a trike.

http://tinyurl.com/Searchtempest-Trike

You may need to modify it to suit where you live..One other thing that will help is reading this

http://tinyurl.com/Dr-JasonFung that is the short cut to Dr Jason Fung 's website

He is a well known nephrologist who works in Ontario Canada. He's a very special and blessed doctor who's in our corner helping us with his profound knowledge of type 2 diabetes. Its a long site to read but if you dig in you'll get the gist quickly..

Thank you for helping out.. I need it more now than ever.I just got tested and my A1C is 9

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for helping out.. I need it more now than ever.I just got tested and my A1C is 9

@lisasimpkins53

If you embrace what Dr Fung has to say and put in some exercise it is manageable. All is possible. I amaze myself that each day I can get on a bike and cycle. I've topped 605 miles so far this month. It can be done..

Reactions: lisasimpkins53
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@lisasimpkins53

If you embrace what Dr Fung has to say and put in some exercise it is manageable. All is possible. I amaze myself that each day I can get on a bike and cycle. I've topped 605 miles so far this month. It can be done..

Thank you for the encouragement as well.I am kind of down right now and need all the help I can get.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: lisasimpkins53

Eliz76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this is exactly where I am at the moment, nothing seems to work...my dipstix always show a high reading and I really don't care any more - the other night, the exact words I used, were " oh well, if it kills me, it kills me". I haven't been diagnosed for long - only since last November, but I've had enough :cry:
Hi this is my first post. I'm diagnosed 10 years now T1 and I'm back at this stage yet again. I have a very sweet tooth and I eat everything. I still inject of course but don't always test. It's all just so frustrating. I read all these posts about low carb low sugar diets but I just can't manage it. Don't know how people cope day after day. I was able to manage better during my two pregnancies because I had the baby to think of but when it's just me I just don't care!! Sounds really sad when I see it in words.

Reactions: spook_kate_
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi this is my first post. I'm diagnosed 10 years now T1 and I'm back at this stage yet again. I have a very sweet tooth and I eat everything. I still inject of course but don't always test. It's all just so frustrating. I read all these posts about low carb low sugar diets but I just can't manage it. Don't know how people cope day after day. I was able to manage better during my two pregnancies because I had the baby to think of but when it's just me I just don't care!! Sounds really sad when I see it in words.

It can be hard, at times, this is my 28th year and I shouted at my machine today, so..........so much for Good Friday ! There are some helpful and supportive members on the forum, take care x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you need to change only slowly, otherwise it will overwhelm you... so just add like one little change a week or month...