exams-teachers help please

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
guys do you have to tell your exam board or the jcq that you have an insulin pump (which i dont yet but will have one in the next 2 weeks). My school did tell them about my type 1 but they obviously dont know about me getting an insulin pump but im not sure if the exam board or jcq will need to know that???
TEACHERS HELPP PLEASE

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You've still got type 1 so they still need to know and it's probably useful that they know that you have a pump as you may need to check your levels during an exam

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
tell the board. the board they have to give you extra time and put you into a different room with access to your testing kit, glucose and carbs in case you go hypo

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've still got type 1 so they still need to know and it's probably useful that they know that you have a pump as you may need to check your levels during an exam
yes they know about my diabetes and what will happen when i go low but they dont know about the pump

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
tell the board. the board they have to give you extra time and put you into a different room with access to your testing kit, glucose and carbs in case you go hypo
the board has been told and i am going to be in an different room but i dont know if they need to know about the pump since they dont know about that

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd let them know about the pump too just so everyone knows.

D

Deleted Account

I am intrigued: I understand why the board need to know you have diabetes in order that they may make allowances for hypos and BG checking. But I cannot think of a reason why they need to know how you treat your diabetes (pump or pen).

However, you have got my mind racing thinking of ways to use your pump to assist with your maths exam by using the carb calculator for mental arithmetic or "secreting" algorithms in your daily profile. But I am sure someone would find out so don't do it.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am intrigued: I understand why the board need to know you have diabetes in order that they may make allowances for hypos and BG checking. But I cannot think of a reason why they need to know how you treat your diabetes (pump or pen).

However, you have got my mind racing thinking of ways to use your pump to assist with your maths exam by using the carb calculator for mental arithmetic or "secreting" algorithms in your daily profile. But I am sure someone would find out so don't do it.
For that exact reason they need to know in advance....

They will probably take a look at the pump just to ensure no skullduggery is taking place and move on....

I recall someone being refused a test meter in an exam for the very same reasons....

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

but you cant access the carb calulator as a normal calculator as in my one you would enter the carbs then it would just suggest a bolus. Also what if the pump beeps or it decides to fail half way through wouldnt they need to know in that case?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the board has been told and i am going to be in an different room but i dont know if they need to know about the pump since they dont know about that

There's no reason at all why they'd need to know about the pump as long as you've told them about the diabetes side of things :)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a pump, but aren't they often mistaken for pagers? That would be a no-no, so better to tell them about it.

D

Deleted Account

but you cant access the carb calulator as a normal calculator as in my one you would enter the carbs then it would just suggest a bolus. Also what if the pump beeps or it decides to fail half way through wouldnt they need to know in that case?
Sorry, I was being flippant. Although you could change your ISF to change the calculations and turn off the beeps. But it's all too fiddly. And I was just joking :)

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the Medtronic 640 you can't turn the beeps off, as if you fail to respond to the warning vibration it beeps any way

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a teacher and t1.

I had extra time when I sat my GCSEs and one of my students with a pump let the exams officer know. I have a 640 pump and if someone was sat next to me - beeping away like I do some days, I'd fail my exam - so let them know! You never know what type of alarms might go off on other pumps. Don't worry about this too much - start revising!