Confused.

horrible_al

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Since joining yesterday, I am becoming increasingly confused with all the different phrases being used. Considering that I was diagnosed over 2 years ago, there is much I don't understand. LADA, I thought that was a Russian car. MMOL ? A1 something or other? Apart from my past reluctance to accept my situation, I seem to have little understanding of what's going on. Last year while on holiday in Somerset I was talking to the landlord of a pub we use and it turned out he was t2 as well. I told him about the problems re bowels etc. He asked "are taking metformin"? when I told him I was, he said "that's the problem" Then told me his doctor changed his med to another drug and told him that when you start taking this, you're 10 years away from insulin injections.
But I can't remember what it was . Anyhow my Doctor seems to think he knows best. I think it would be easier to just crawl into a corner and curl up and die.

Reactions: Freema

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @horrible_al No need to go and crawl into a corner Al, it's new information and takes some getting used to. I found my type 1 status a massive learning curve, all of a sudden I had to be a dietitian and mathematician in one go and very quickly as my health was at stake ! It will become alot clearer in due course, just read up on the site, post anything at all you are confused about, most importantly try and become an expert, as ultimately your health is dependent on you and not your doctor. Lots of people try to ignore their diabetes which ultimately has an adverse effect on their health so you really do need to grip this one by the scruff of the neck. Lots here in the same boat though so if you're stuck on anything at all just ask.

Have you read the new members information that @daisy1 gives out ? This is a good starting point, the rest you will pick up on by reading other posts :)

Reactions: Prem51 and ziggy_w

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @horrible_al ..
First thing .. you're not alone in worrying about all of this .. the difference is that most people experience these worries and concerns at the time of diagnosis, but you seem to have blocked things out for a couple of years. But that doesn't mean that you need to "crawl into a corner" ..

I suggest that you spend some time reading up on the information that you have received from @ daisy1 .. it really will answer a lot of your questions. Then start looking at the various website links that you have been given. I'm pretty sure that you will find that things start to fall into place .. and you are in the right place on this forum to ask all your questions

Finally, for what it's worth, I had similar problems with my Doc and other Healthcare professionals at my surgery. So in terms of managing my diabetes, I now follow an LCHF lifestyle, test my own blood glucose levels and take heed of the advice that I find on here .. and, in terms of pretty much everything that I am told by Doc and Nursie, I now ...
# listen
# nod
#smile
# say thankyou
# and ignore

Stay strong .. hope this helps

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Al, we were all confused, some of us still are
blink.gif
. Best advice, have a good look round the forum and anything you dont understand either ask or look here first http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-jargon.html

Good luck

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@horrible_al
In your other post I gave you the Basic Information for new members for which I was tagged again. To make sure you see it, here in my signature are two links, one to the Basic Information for new members and the other to the Low Carb Program. I hope these will be useful to you.

horrible_al

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@horrible_al
In your other post I gave you the Basic Information for new members for which I was tagged again. To make sure you see it, here in my signature are two links, one to the Basic Information for new members and the other to the Low Carb Program. I hope these will be useful to you.
Hi Daisy 1 yes I read your message and had a look through the info on the links. Just seems a hell of a lot to wade through and I'm not the most patient of people. In the mean time I'm giving the Slimming world Red days plan another try. I did it some years ago and lost a good bit of weight, so I'll try it again. My wife does the green days and has had considerable success with it. The way I rant on, you'd think I was newly diagnosed, not over 2 years ago. Any way thanks for your help.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Since joining yesterday, I am becoming increasingly confused with all the different phrases being used. Considering that I was diagnosed over 2 years ago, there is much I don't understand. LADA, I thought that was a Russian car. MMOL ? A1 something or other? .

Lada - latent autoimmune diabetes in adulthood. It's type 1 diabetes.

Mmol - blood glucose is measured in mmol/l or milimoles per litre, it's just a unit of measurement.

A1 something or other - hba1c is a glycated haemaglobin test, it measures how much glucose is stuck to your red blood cells and is esstentially an average of blood sugar control over the last three months.

Yeah there's a lot of jargon in diabetes, but non of it is hidden meaning, it perfectly possible to find out what the abbreviations and terminology means if you just stick it in google.

horrible_al

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lada - latent autoimmune diabetes in adulthood. It's type 1 diabetes.

Mmol - blood glucose is measured in mmol/l or milimoles per litre, it's just a unit of measurement.

A1 something or other - hba1c is a glycated haemaglobin test, it measures how much glucose is stuck to your red blood cells and is esstentially an average of blood sugar control over the last three months.

Yeah there's a lot of jargon in diabetes, but non of it is hidden meaning, it perfectly possible to find out what the abbreviations and terminology means if you just stick it in google.
Hello Catapillar, many thanks for taking the time to explain those things to me. Very helpful. As I'm T2, it seems that the Russian car does not affect me. hba1c,that obviously refers to the figure 80 that the Doc quoted at me. Once again many thanks.