Type 1 Blurry vision forever???

aileenmoore00

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My levels have been constantly high for a while. I'm trying to lower my hba1c, but even when my sugar is 9 or 10, I lose my vision. I know that this is because I have been high for so long but as soon as my level drops to normal I feel low so take sugar. How can I get out of this circle. Pls help !!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like you're having 'false hypos'. Your body will gradually adjust, but maybe if you lower your levels gradually that will help and not make you feel so bad @aileenmoore00

Do you have a good DSN to help you?

Reactions: aileenmoore00

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try something like strawberries and cream instead of sugary foods. I also eat cheese as a snack. Blurred vision can be caused by high blood sugar swelling the lenses in the eyes.

aileenmoore00

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like you're having 'false hypos'. Your body will gradually adjust, but maybe if you lower your levels gradually that will help and not make you feel so bad @aileenmoore00

Do you have a good DSN to help you?

They were ok. They told me I could always call them if I needed anything but I would never hear a reply. I have moved into the transitional clinic I told them how I felt and they just shrugged it off. I'm worried about my health I managed to get my hba1c down from 11.3 to 10.4. But it's still so high

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They were ok. They told me I could always call them if I needed anything but I would never hear a reply. I have moved into the transitional clinic I told them how I felt and they just shrugged it off. I'm worried about my health I managed to get my hba1c down from 11.3 to 10.4. But it's still so high

Would you like me to move this to Type 1 where you'll get more replies @aileenmoore00 ?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On diagnosis I was advised just not to treat false hypos, which was easier said than done because I did probably come close to passing out at 9 ish, but I was 30ish on diagnosis, so my body incorrectly thought 9 was low. But getting to feel ok at normal levels does mean effectively training your body to get used to the normal levels. If you get to a point where you feel like you need to treat a hypo but you know youre not actually hypo could you try extending the period you stay down there, if your safe and at home and not doing anything you might feel a bit rubbish but you'll be teaching your body that it's a normal level that it doesn't need to panic about. Or you need to adjust your targets so you come down in steps, if your currently running so high you have false hypos at 9-10 then set your target as 12-14, once you get used to that aim to be 9-12, then aim for 7-9, then you can aim for the actual target of 4-7.

The blurry vision at normal levels is just temporary, as your body gets used to normal levels your eyes will get used to it to. It might take a couple of weeks for your eyes to get used to it, but they will. Running at high levels does carry risks of rather more long term adverse impacts on your vision.

Reactions: jbriscoe26

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes you need to gradually move your typical sugars into the 6-7 range and resist having any carbs to boost yourself back up. Your body will get used to the lower sugar level. Have snacks like cheese, berries nuts and not carbs when you feel low.

Reactions: Freema