Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello everyone :)

I am on day 2 of a 2 day fast - my last meal was dinner on Monday and my next meal will be breakfast tomorrow (Thursday).- this is a total fast with only one cup of Bovril for if I get the shakes plus unlimited caffeine and calorie free drinks / water each day.

I have done lots of other 24 hour fasts and have often felt a bit cold (which has always gone away with the cup of Bovril) but this time my feet and hands are like blocks of ice and the Bovril hasn't helped. Has anyone else had this and is there any way of getting rid of it? (I've tried a double layer of fluffy bedsocks and a hot shower).

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't offer you any advice but hope you get it sorted.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I think you maybe a little short on fluids. You need to drink more than you usually do to replace the fluid within the food you normally eat and this is often more than anticipated. Bovril sounds good for a top up, or any 'clear' fluid really. Good luck.

Reactions: Chook

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe try adding a bit of salt and possibly a bit of butter to your bovril.. I also get this when fasting but it tends to come and go.. Some broth with butter can help..

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I've been drinking lots and lots so I'm not worried about dehydrating but I took @bulkbiker 's advice and made another Bovril this time adding some seasalt and I do feel a bit better. I also dug deep in to the airing cupboard and managed to find a really ancient hot water bottle which I will take to bed for my feet. (Just testing it to make sure it hasn't perished - it has got to be at least twenty years old).

Apart from the coldness I've quite enjoyed this two day fast. The hunger only kicked in at dinner time last night (solved by a mug of good old Bovril) and disappeared completely today. It seemed to work better for me than the 5:2 IF I used to do. I think I might repeat it again next week.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've found my thyroid performance has changed since low carbing.
I've just had my levothyroxine reduced due to being 0.375 over the right level for me. It has helped with cold feet, so far.
Mind u it has gone cold lately. Brrr!!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've found my thyroid performance has changed since low carbing.
I've just had my levothyroxine reduced due to being 0.375 over the right level for me. It has helped with cold feet, so far.
Mind u it has gone cold lately. Brrr!!

It is cold - been having hail here today - and I've put the central heating back on. I don't usually have cold feet or hands so I think it's the two day fasting causing it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It is cold - been having hail here today - and I've put the central heating back on. I don't usually have cold feet or hands so I think it's the two day fasting causing it.
If it continues keep good circulation movements incorporated into daily routine. The more active, the better.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All is fine now. I had cold hands and feet again before breakfast but by the time I'd finished eating my feet and hands were back to normal.

Thanks for all the advice. I am planning to do it again next week and will remember to add sea salt to my Bovril. I found it much easier than 5:2 IF. :)

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had cold hands and feet for a bit during my last 5-day FMD but it goes away as soon as I eat a couple almonds.

I guess it's probably just a side effect of the fasting and burning fat.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm fasting again at the moment - from dinner yesterday (Monday) until breakfast on Thursday. *Touch wood* no cold hands or feet yet although I've dressed for the occasion with a pair of fluffy bedsocks on - very glam!