Could this be diabetes related? (Hand problem)

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Hi, I've been experiencing these symptoms and I'm wondering if this sounds like diabetic neuropathy. And, where carpal tunnel symptom goes in hand with diabetes. My history: 20 yrs diabetes, poor control. I've been cleaning as a job for last 8months. I also suffered from. Type of RA for number of years, but been clear for last 6yrs.
Symptoms: itchy palms (both) although could be unrelated... My hands get hot, burning sensation, numb sensation or tingly. Worse at night but also in day. Maybe these are hand spasms. I cannot open my fingers fully, so they are in a grip like state. I've also lost strength in my right arm and hand, plus apparently my right arms reflexes have increased in comparison with my left.

I went to my GP who scared the hell out of me. Wants me to follow it up. He's not sure it's diabetes related. He wasn't sure if it was a local problem or not. So, what's your take guys? I'm terrified the diabetes has caught up with me. I hate sickness altogether.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: lukkymik and Freema

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
Hi, I've been experiencing these symptoms and I'm wondering if this sounds like diabetic neuropathy. And, where carpal tunnel symptom goes in hand with diabetes. My history: 20 yrs diabetes, poor control. I've been cleaning as a job for last 8months. I also suffered from. Type of RA for number of years, but been clear for last 6yrs.
Symptoms: itchy palms (both) although could be unrelated... My hands get hot, burning sensation, numb sensation or tingly. Worse at night but also in day. Maybe these are hand spasms. I cannot open my fingers fully, so they are in a grip like state. I've also lost strength in my right arm and hand, plus apparently my right arms reflexes have increased in comparison with my left.

I went to my GP who scared the hell out of me. Wants me to follow it up. He's not sure it's diabetes related. He wasn't sure if it was a local problem or not. So, what's your take guys? I'm terrified the diabetes has caught up with me. I hate sickness altogether.

Thanks guys.

FYI I just copy and pasted what I had just wrote in another post but should fit this one as well'

I have Neuropathy, it is in my feet and half way up my shins. I had terrible burning and tingling in both of my feet and shins are numb. The pain would be so bad at night that I had trouble sleeping. my doctor has me on Gabapentin 600mg 3 times a day and Celecoxib 200mg 3 pills at night (this drug makes you sleepy). this has helped a lot but still have some pain and the numbness is still there and will always be. I do still have some burning in my feet but it is tolerable now.

it can be hereditary so you will want to make sure if you have kids they are aware of it so they can keep an eye out for any symptoms and make sure there doctor is aware of this. My sister has it and it has spread throughout her whole body. she is on a high dose of morphine to try to control the pain but that still doesn't help sometimes. not trying to scare you just want you to be aware that it is serous and not something to ignore.

my understanding is that there is no cure for it. Mine was caused by my diabetes and now that I have that under control it will hopefully stop spreading. it is also common to be in your hands as well.

Reactions: Freema

TeamHard2017

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks guys.

Did u break your hand or have an op on it???

Reactions: Freema

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Thanks AlaskaRon...I'm sorry that sounds dreadful. I'm suitably in panic, and cannot sleep out of fear. Wish I could drink to sleep but no alcohol here and I haven't drunk in two yrs.

No operation or breaks, just the cleaning I do for a job.

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Also, does this sound like it could be neuropathy? I'm hoping it's nothing serious. Maybe carpal tunnel although not sure how to explain the loss of strength, loss of full hand movement and increased reflexes.

Reactions: connie104

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, does this sound like it could be neuropathy? I'm hoping it's nothing serious. Maybe carpal tunnel although not sure how to explain the loss of strength, loss of full hand movement and increased reflexes.

You should definitely have this thoroughly checked and follow up! I know it's easier to ignore sometimes but if it is neuropathy you can still get treatment. It may be RSI, if you've been doing the same manual tasks with your hands for a long time. Please don't ignore it, though. Got to be brave and find out what's what then you can deal with it :)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doesn't reek of diabetic neuropathy but it sounds significant with the grip spasm thing.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks guys.

I had carpel tunnel syndrome in my right arm and tingling in both hands and feet. the symptoms have come down since I went very low carb and reduced my average blood sugars a lot. i knew the tingling hands and feet were related o diabetes but did not make the connection to carpel tunnel until very recently.

I suspect sugar control is key part of minimising symtoms.

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys.
Hi Rachel,
I have had T1 for 66years, since aged 4yrs. I have had the hand problem where my fingers curled up. Actually it was my middle finger on my left hand. I had two operations to release it. It isn't straight but usable! Now, many years later, I feel my first and third finger going the same way. At the time, I was told it was 'Trigger finger' then told it was.......Dupitrons Contraction! Apparently very common in diabetes. Hope you can get it sorted. Good luck.
Carolx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It could well be Dupuytrens Contracture, especially if you find a lump on your palm. It is common, not at all serious.. I have it but mine is early stages so hasn't affected my fingers or grip. Diabetes is one risk factor.

action replay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
SELFISHNESS AND GREEDY PEOPLE :)
I also had. carpel tunnel op on my left hand, should have had it done on my right hand but MS got in the way! I have a lot of arthritis in my hands, very painful but doesn't stop me painting and gardening

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetics can get the same stuff anybody else can get. Duptyens is a pretty common thing. So is carpal tunnel. I don't think it's caused by diabetes like some other medical problems are.

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have it properly assessesed by your GP. If the reflexes really are increased it is unlikely to be due to diabetic neuropathy or carpal tunnel syndrome. Unless you get it properly checked you won't know.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
carpel tunnel syndrome is more ofthe in obese people... of which many are diabetic.. but also in some families and not diabetes related... it is always the right thing to hav an expert view on troubles in hands and legs... so important they are to us...

please go to see an expert about your hand...

Rachelds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm the same! My gp didn't offer any diagnosis but referred me to an orthopaedic/ rheumatologist. Saw them 3 months ago and after nerve induction test, MRI and X-ray they've concluded I have 3 separate conditions...carpel tunnel on both thumbs for which I had a dose of steroid injections (took 3 weeks to work but they're nearly normal now after a year of trigger thumbing and then unable to bend them!) Dupuytren's contracture on both hands (do you have lumps on your palms?) and arthritis on ring finger. These can all be due to diabetes and high sugars. I've been type 1 for 40 years and have been very lucky up until now with no complications. Please don't worry yourself, these can all be helped considerably by injection, minor op and hand therapy. But it has certainly made me test more regularly and have better control, don't know why I hadn't really before but hey ho. Just had some chocolate and glass of wine lol. Keep us updated and fingers crossed xx

Reactions: Sibyl

Rachelds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
FYI I just copy and pasted what I had just wrote in another post but should fit this one as well'

I have Neuropathy, it is in my feet and half way up my shins. I had terrible burning and tingling in both of my feet and shins are numb. The pain would be so bad at night that I had trouble sleeping. my doctor has me on Gabapentin 600mg 3 times a day and Celecoxib 200mg 3 pills at night (this drug makes you sleepy). this has helped a lot but still have some pain and the numbness is still there and will always be. I do still have some burning in my feet but it is tolerable now.

it can be hereditary so you will want to make sure if you have kids they are aware of it so they can keep an eye out for any symptoms and make sure there doctor is aware of this. My sister has it and it has spread throughout her whole body. she is on a high dose of morphine to try to control the pain but that still doesn't help sometimes. not trying to scare you just want you to be aware that it is serous and not something to ignore.

my understanding is that there is no cure for it. Mine was caused by my diabetes and now that I have that under control it will hopefully stop spreading. it is also common to be in your hands as well.

Rachelds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Gosh that sounds absolutely awful ! But it doesn't sound quite the same as original post description so hopefully she'll be diagnosed soon !

Rachelds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would have it properly assessesed by your GP. If the reflexes really are increased it is unlikely to be due to diabetic neuropathy or carpal tunnel syndrome. Unless you get it properly checked you won't know.
I agree, correct diagnosis is key. My reflexes were increased and it's carpel tunnel on both hands.

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've also had Carpel Tunnel in my right hand and when I went for tests I was advised that it was in my left hand as well but I didn't feel the left one was bad enough yet so only had the operation on my right hand. I also have Dupuytrens Contracture on my fourth finger of my right hand and I'm waiting on an appointment for the hand clinic to see what treatment they are going to do for it. I do have Osteoarthritis in most of my joints including both hands which I have had for many years but my hands are now causing problems for me. When the arthritis was diagnosed about 20 years ago the Orthopedic surgeon said it was most likely due to my diabetes but my diabetic doctor disagreed. I've been type 1 diabetic since 1975 and my control has been reasonably good and I'm not overweight so not everyone is the same. I also have neuropathy in my feet which causes balance problems, I haven't taken medication for it yet although it does wake me up sometimes during the night. I hope you get the correct diagnosis soon, good luck

JeanCL

Thanks guys.

I had very alarming symptoms which sound quite like some of yours when I'd been on Statins for some time, mainly in one arm/hand - also in the leg on the same side; they stopped when I came off Statins. I wasn't diabetic, but have since edged into low borderline readings which have reduced on taking up a lower carbohydrate higher fat diet, and have now got lower blood pressure and good high density cholesterol levels (on Lecithin from Healthfood shop). Wishing you well, Jean