CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
Hi all,

I'm T1D and I've been working on my bloods since November 2016 for pregnancy. However my HbA1c results have consistently come back at 6.8%. So frustrating! I find that I get really stressed in the build up to the test and my bloods go high for about 2 weeks prior as a result. I'm tempted to just go for it and try for a baby. Is it really irresponsible if I do? I understand the risks. But my diabetic control is classed as good, just 0.3% higher than what is recommended for pregnancy. I would be super good with my care regime in the meantime.
What are people's thoughts who have been in this position please?

TIA

Carly

Last edited:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.8% sounds better than a lot of people on this forum to me. Is there some "rule" it has to be 6.5% in the UK to get pregnant? Maybe someone will chime in, but I've not seen any pregnant ladies post on this forum in the brief time I've been on it (I'm surprised your join date isn't associated with your user name).

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
6.8% sounds better than a lot of people on this forum to me. Is there some "rule" it has to be 6.5% in the UK to get pregnant? Maybe someone will chime in, but I've not seen any pregnant ladies post on this forum in the brief time I've been on it (I'm surprised your join date isn't associated with your user name).

Yes they recommend a Hba1c of 6.1% but 6.5% and below is acceptable. Such a tough target.

joanne75

Yes they recommend a Hba1c of 6.1% but 6.5% and below is acceptable. Such a tough target.
Hi Carly I understand where you are coming from and our clinic recommends that your HBA1C should be 55 before conception, mine was 74 so I would decide yourself if you feel ready then I would just carry on and start trying, by the way my pregnancy was fine - best wishes

Reactions: CarlyB

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Carly I understand where you are coming from and our clinic recommends that your HBA1C should be 55 before conception, mine was 74 so I would decide yourself if you feel ready then I would just carry on and start trying, by the way my pregnancy was fine - best wishes

Thank you for this. Is that 55 mmol?

D

Deleted member 391597

Hi @CarlyB. I was treated for gestational diabetes from when I was 28 weeks pregnant with my first baby last year (which developed in to Type 1 diabetes 6 months post partum) and when I had a HbA1c done at 29 weeks it came back at 54 (7.1%) so obviously my sugars had been elevated for a few weeks before. I got my sugars under control straight away and was down to 42 4 weeks later. Anyway, my daughter was born healthily and passed all her blood sugar tests first time following delivery. I think 6.8% would be fine to start trying for a baby. Infact, one of my concerns was would I be able to try for another baby in the future and my DSN said that the recommened HbA1c result should be 53 and under to try for a baby. Not sure if this is accurate as I was only diagnosed 6 weeks ago but hope this helps!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Plus your A1C is literally a moving target especially during a pregnancy. It sounds like you've got it under pretty good control. And you'll have to be all over it while you're pregnant. BTW I was at a local Walmart and saw A1C home testing kits there for $20 for 2 tests. That's pretty reasonable. And test strips selling for $18/hundred. That's slightly less than I pay buying 600 at a time online.

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @CarlyB. I was treated for gestational diabetes from when I was 28 weeks pregnant with my first baby last year (which developed in to Type 1 diabetes 6 months post partum) and when I had a HbA1c done at 29 weeks it came back at 54 (7.1%) so obviously my sugars had been elevated for a few weeks before. I got my sugars under control straight away and was down to 42 4 weeks later. Anyway, my daughter was born healthily and passed all her blood sugar tests first time following delivery. I think 6.8% would be fine to start trying for a baby. Infact, one of my concerns was would I be able to try for another baby in the future and my DSN said that the recommened HbA1c result should be 53 and under to try for a baby. Not sure if this is accurate as I was only diagnosed 6 weeks ago but hope this helps!

Oh ok this is very reassuring. I'm going to have a chat with the DSN about it tomorrow then go from there.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @CarlyB I fell pregnant about 9.5 years ago now - at 23 weeks I was diagnosed with gestational, I have no idea what my HbA1c was at the time but was put straight onto insulin, (I can only assume as this had been previously undetected that it would of been high). My daughter was induced at 37 weeks and fortunately very healthy - I went onto develop type 1 diabetes about 3 years afterwards. The only issue I have with these targets personally are that they are a guide and not an instruction, you cannot plan for pregnancy most of the time, and waiting for perfect control can literally be an unrealistic goal. I decided not to go for a second child due to the scare mongering from the NHS which if i'd got my older wiser head on now and reluctance to accept unrealistic goals, then I would of certainly had of gone for, so try not to let your decision be swayed by what you are told, if the time is right then go for it, you will receive good support and if you need to you can ask to go onto a pump too which will ultimately help you manage your control much better, good luck whatever you decide :)

Reactions: CarlyB and Struma

joanne75

Thank you for this. Is that 55 mmol?
Hi yes it is my DSN said that ideally the guideline is 48mmol, but they recommend 55 to stop too many hypos, my HBA1C was 51 through out all of my pregnancy with minimal hypos, I would just go for it, also the Libre would definitely help with your control never had it in my previous pregnancy but I do have it now so if I decide to have another baby im so much more in control :)

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ok all very helpful replies thanks guys x

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And if you're pregnant I would assume your NHS would certainly outfit you with a CGM right?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Continuous Glucose Monitor. Examples are the Libre and the Dexcom. Do a search there are a lot of threads about the Libre on this forum (not available in the US but available in the UK). It's a wearable device that reads the glucose level in your subcutaneous tissue (not blood) and transmits it to a device sort of like a cell phone (or maybe to your cell phone not sure). The sensors cost about $65 apiece from what people post, but I bet they would be covered by your NHS especially if you are pregnant.

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
  • Problematic severe hypos are occurring.
  • CGM can provide useful information towards minimising too high or low blood glucose levels.
So the third one can apply to anyone who's pregnant. You should be good to go if you want one. No gatekeeper for you!

Jen92'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi as said about HBA1c is just a guide I was diagnosed nearly a year ago with a hba1c of 107 i started being it down straight away as at diagnosis I was already trying to conceive once I spoke with my consultant and explained that I already had difficulties conceiving he agreed to put me on folic acid just incase after about 6 months when my hba1c was 68 on the promise that I would do my very best to keep lowering it which I then got to 44 3 months later. So it can't be that strict a rule if he was agreeing I could continue to try whilst at a higher hba1c. So I would say go for it but go get some folic acid prescribed before you start trying, no harm in taking it. And good luck!

Leanna1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had diabetes 29 years prior to having my 2 girls. Believe me mine was not good before. I just got on and had 2 beutiful girls. Sometimes you have to go for it and control your sugars best you can. Xx

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just an update - spoke to my DSN and she said it is absolutely fine for me to start trying with a hba1c of 6.8%. Yippee! So happy!!!