Forgetting if I took insulin?

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone.
Just wondering if this happens to anyone else. Tonight I have some how forgotten if I've taken my night time insulin (levemir). I've had type one diabetes for 18 years now, and I've barely ever forgotten, but sometimes it just happens. Wondering what to do? I don't want to obviously give myself too much in case I've already had some, but also don't wanna not take any because I wake up with sky high blood sugars!
Are there any pens out there that can prevent this? Thanks! Bad diabetic alert ‍♀️♀️

Reactions: Beefy68

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is this

https://timesulin.com/

Which I am actually quite tempted by.

I have also found it helpful to do my long acting at a set time - 11pm for me. I went through a phase where I was really, really bad at remembering, or worse, taking the wrong one. You aren't a bad diabetic - I don't believe there is any such thing - just human.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is this

https://timesulin.com/

Which I am actually quite tempted by.

I have also found it helpful to do my long acting at a set time - 11pm for me. I went through a phase where I was really, really bad at remembering, or worse, taking the wrong one. You aren't a bad diabetic - I don't believe there is any such thing - just human.
After so many years of injecting it does get difficult to remember whether you have or not. The Novopen Echo is great for my bolus but with my basal I also have a set time of 11 pm.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Novopen 5 has a memory function, you pull the plunger/twisty bit out and in again, on the end the LCD screen displays the number of units last dosed and a circular bar graph showing how long ago it was, up to 12 hours - I did 13 units 3hours ago just looking at mine. The echo pen is the same but has half unit measures for dosing. A life saver for those times when your mind goes blank and you can't remember! Comes in a selection of colours to avoid confusion over basal and bolus pens - ask your clinic for 3, in different colours, bolus and basal and a spare!

Reactions: isjoberg
D

Deleted Account

These gadgets are great for the future.
However, if I forget if I have taken my basal tonight, what is the best thing to do?
Stay up with regular BG checks and measure whether fasting BG rises?
If it does, I guess you can assume you definitely forgot your basal. Do you take it later? I guess if you do, you need to take into consideration that Lantus lasts 24 hours so don't take it too early tomorrow?
Or is there another approach?

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an app called Sugr on my iphone to track everything at the moment as my memory is terrible

JacquiMorrison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
These gadgets are great for the future.
However, if I forget if I have taken my basal tonight, what is the best thing to do?
Stay up with regular BG checks and measure whether fasting BG rises?
If it does, I guess you can assume you definitely forgot your basal. Do you take it later? I guess if you do, you need to take into consideration that Lantus lasts 24 hours so don't take it too early tomorrow?
Or is there another approach?

Agree. If I forget my Lantus basal I take it as soon as I remember and just continue my normal times for injections the next day - it does mean I need to monitor my sugars more to prevent sugars falling within the next day. However I think I would prefer monitoring it more than try to calculate to take less or try to keep pushing my sugars low with continuous bolus until it's time for basal again

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I use the sugar app and it's great and you can see your whole history and also print it out when you have an appointment with your doctor or nurse

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use the novopen 5 in both colours plus a spare set and the way I remember is via setting alarms on my phone and on my blood meter so that I can remember and the dose I took which is a lot better than the novopen 4 which I have in blue and silver and are around £62 -£63 on ebay

niccidoodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone.
Just wondering if this happens to anyone else. Tonight I have some how forgotten if I've taken my night time insulin (levemir). I've had type one diabetes for 18 years now, and I've barely ever forgotten, but sometimes it just happens. Wondering what to do? I don't want to obviously give myself too much in case I've already had some, but also don't wanna not take any because I wake up with sky high blood sugars!
Are there any pens out there that can prevent this? Thanks! Bad diabetic alert ‍♀️♀️
I had that same problem so i told my consultant and he prescribed me a novopen 5 with a memory

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Insulcheck device. It is triggered as you inject. I find that it is very reliable and Customer Support is very good.