Mrs May has her chips!

Brittleas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mrs May is not short of weasel words to describe how inclusive she wants her Tory government to be, but she is extremely shy about her blood testing. Anyone seen her pricking her finger? No. I expect she will be using the Libra system at £100 a month and not available on the NHS for ordinary Type 1 diabetics who desperately need it and for whom it could save their lives.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Mrs May is not short of weasel words to describe how inclusive she wants her Tory government to be, but she is extremely shy about her blood testing. Anyone seen her pricking her finger? No. I expect she will be using the Libra system at £100 a month and not available on the NHS for ordinary Type 1 diabetics who desperately need it and for whom it could save their lives.

There are members on here who use a Libre, many are type 2 as well. I would love to have one, but I just cannot afford it at that cost.
TBH, If I was in the public eye, in such a high powered job, I would like to keep my finger pricking and injecting ( if she does) discrete, it could be used as ammunition from the other parties :wideyed:

Last edited:
Reactions: Spencer67

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had never heard of the Libre system but it is too expensive for me though undoubtedly the cost will fall in time as it did with the cheap gadgets we now use that used to cost about £100. As for Theresa May and chips - I would only eat them if my blood sugars were very low. I live on a low carb diet that suits me and keeps my BG levels under control and my weight. Reporters have to sensationalise everything, making mountains out of insignificant mole-hills, and I thank God I am not in such a high profile position. God help her if she should have a hypo! The press would have a field day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had never heard of the Libre system but it is too expensive for me though undoubtedly the cost will fall in time as it did with the cheap gadgets we now use that used to cost about £100. As for Theresa May and chips - I would only eat them if my blood sugars were very low. I live on a low carb diet that suits me and keeps my BG levels under control and my weight. Reporters have to sensationalise everything, making mountains out of insignificant mole-hills, and I thank God I am not in such a high profile position. God help her if she should have a hypo! The press would have a field day.
I agree

Jonnock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see on the news last night and this morning, the reporters are all passing comments on Mrs May looking awkward ting a cone of chips on her campaign trail yesterday; however no-one yet has linked it to her T1, and I would expect she would not want to eat too many and risk a spike in her BGs, when it might be difficult to take her meds? I have often wondered how she (and other folk in very public life) manage to keep good control when diet choice may throw up issues during a working day.

Certainly being on lchf, the last thing I would want would be to be handed a pile of chips and expected to consume in front of the camera (I'm used to being filmed, though not much since diagnosed with D).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Why would we want to see her testing in public?

I'd expect she's does so at a time when the camera's are not on her where she can evaluate the results, but just because someone can afford to purchase the Libre doesn't mean to say they use it.

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
I eat chips for my dinner every single day, they are certainly not the worst thing you can eat, so what's the big deal? Also, we can eat anything we want, as long as etc. etc. etc.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I wonder if she secretly posts on here under a pseudonym, i think she looks fantastic and in her stressful job she manages well, i'm sure she has the same problems we all have to endure. I'm not a fan of her party politics but i do like her personality, great lady.

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories
I see on the news last night and this morning, the reporters are all passing comments on Mrs May looking awkward ting a cone of chips on her campaign trail yesterday; however no-one yet has linked it to her T1, and I would expect she would not want to eat too many and risk a spike in her BGs, when it might be difficult to take her meds? I have often wondered how she (and other folk in very public life) manage to keep good control when diet choice may throw up issues during a working day.

Certainly being on lchf, the last thing I would want would be to be handed a pile of chips and expected to consume in front of the camera (I'm used to being filmed, though not much since diagnosed with D).

WELL ONE THING IS FOR CERTAIN THERE WILL BE NO HELP ON THE NHS WHEN SHE AND HER MATES HAVE FINISHED WITH IT

Reactions: Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I wonder if she secretly posts on here under a pseudonym, i think she looks fantastic and in her stressful job she manages well, i'm sure she has the same problems we all have to endure. I'm not a fan of her party politics but i do like her personality, great lady.
Imagine the "answer some personal questions thread"
Name: Teresa
Religious: Yes
Three words to describe your personality: strong, stable, Conservative
What do you dislike about yourself: being forced to eat chips by photographers without the chance to bolus.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Imagine the "answer some personal questions thread"
Name: Teresa
Religious: Yes
Three words to describe your personality: strong, stable, Conservative
What do you dislike about yourself: being forced to eat chips by photographers without the chance to bolus.

I reckon at 60 she's probably got the hang on it by now.
If she can't handle a bag of chips without sufficient notice, I don't think she'd last long running the country from a nuclear bunker during WW3.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I could see on the clip she only ate 2 chips before turning and leaving. Not a great number of carbs in 2 chips, and the fat will have helped anyway. I cannot for the life of me see what all the fuss is about.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely where she tests is her decision - why should she have to test in public? There are quite a few diabetics, both T1 and T2, who use the Libre - I looked into getting one and decided that I couldn't justify the price or, because my skin is sensitive and reacts to various plasters etc, take the risk of spending a lot of money to find I could not use it - done that before but was able to pass on the culprit but not so easy with the Libre!