1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Mrs May has her chips!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Nidge247, May 3, 2017.

1. Brittleas

Brittleas Type 1 · Member

Mrs May is not short of weasel words to describe how inclusive she wants her Tory government to be, but she is extremely shy about her blood testing. Anyone seen her pricking her finger? No. I expect she will be using the Libra system at £100 a month and not available on the NHS for ordinary Type 1 diabetics who desperately need it and for whom it could save their lives.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

There are members on here who use a Libre, many are type 2 as well. I would love to have one, but I just cannot afford it at that cost.
    TBH, If I was in the public eye, in such a high powered job, I would like to keep my finger pricking and injecting ( if she does) discrete, it could be used as ammunition from the other parties :wideyed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #42 Robinredbreast, May 4, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  3. cassie091

cassie091 Type 1 · Active Member

I had never heard of the Libre system but it is too expensive for me though undoubtedly the cost will fall in time as it did with the cheap gadgets we now use that used to cost about £100. As for Theresa May and chips - I would only eat them if my blood sugars were very low. I live on a low carb diet that suits me and keeps my BG levels under control and my weight. Reporters have to sensationalise everything, making mountains out of insignificant mole-hills, and I thank God I am not in such a high profile position. God help her if she should have a hypo! The press would have a field day.

4. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I agree

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jonnock

Jonnock Type 1 · Member

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Why would we want to see her testing in public?

I'd expect she's does so at a time when the camera's are not on her where she can evaluate the results, but just because someone can afford to purchase the Libre doesn't mean to say they use it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bogusman

Bogusman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I eat chips for my dinner every single day, they are certainly not the worst thing you can eat, so what's the big deal? Also, we can eat anything we want, as long as etc. etc. etc.

8. Spencer67

Spencer67 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I wonder if she secretly posts on here under a pseudonym, i think she looks fantastic and in her stressful job she manages well, i'm sure she has the same problems we all have to endure. I'm not a fan of her party politics but i do like her personality, great lady.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dollydreamer

dollydreamer Type 2 · Active Member

WELL ONE THING IS FOR CERTAIN THERE WILL BE NO HELP ON THE NHS WHEN SHE AND HER MATES HAVE FINISHED WITH IT

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Imagine the "answer some personal questions thread"
    Name: Teresa
    Religious: Yes
    Three words to describe your personality: strong, stable, Conservative
    What do you dislike about yourself: being forced to eat chips by photographers without the chance to bolus.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I reckon at 60 she's probably got the hang on it by now.
    If she can't handle a bag of chips without sufficient notice, I don't think she'd last long running the country from a nuclear bunker during WW3.

12. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

As far as I could see on the clip she only ate 2 chips before turning and leaving. Not a great number of carbs in 2 chips, and the fat will have helped anyway. I cannot for the life of me see what all the fuss is about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

.... Or as a moderator?! o_O;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Surely where she tests is her decision - why should she have to test in public? There are quite a few diabetics, both T1 and T2, who use the Libre - I looked into getting one and decided that I couldn't justify the price or, because my skin is sensitive and reacts to various plasters etc, take the risk of spending a lot of money to find I could not use it - done that before but was able to pass on the culprit but not so easy with the Libre!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook