Samsung S8 and Libre

MWilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All just thought I would note just in case anyone was looking to use the Galaxy S8 with the libre.

I have just upgraded and found librelink is currently not supported and neither is Glimp. Back to the S7 it is.

Thanks

Michael

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
is it not just an operating system it looks for....?

maybe 7.0 and above doesn't work...

MWilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The S8 has a totally new software package to the older S range. So have to wait for an update I am afraid.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess with the Libre being a medical device they have to approve each device that it will work for. It's artificially limited by the Play Store essentially to device models so not by Android version (7.0 etc.) - chances are it would work as it isn't 'approved' for the Nexus 5X or 6P but runs just fine on them when the Play Store restriction is removed I found for another member a few months back.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
It's strange as the S7 is not supported but the edge is

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's strange as the S7 is not supported but the edge is
I run LibreLink on my S7 with Nougat 7.0.

Can I ask where you phone an official list of supported devices please? I can only find reference to "Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher" on the LibreLink site.

Last edited:

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Mine wouldn't let me install it on s7

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine wouldn't let me install it on s7
If you go to settings, about device and software version - what does it say under Android version and Baseband version?

I'm running the latest software available on the S7 through my network carrier and using LibreLink right now.

Can you find LibreLink in the Playstore?

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
7.1 and no it doesn't find it on play store

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
7.1 and no it doesn't find it on play store
Was your S7 purchased recently? I think S7 models on the shelf just now are factory loaded with Android 7.1 which is why you may be having issues. As I said, I'm using Nougat 7.0 which is the most recent software I can get OTA and having no problems.

Your only option really is to downgrade from 7.1 to 7.0 in order to allow compatibility with LibreLink. There is a bit of a knack to this process however, as it does involve being able to use software such as ODIN, booting your phone into various modes, and downloading the correct USB drivers and ROM for your desired firmware.

If it's something that you're not confident in doing, then you could always check in with your local mobile phone repair shop, O2 store, EE store, etc. They might be able to do it for you.

Your other option is to wait for LibreLink to cater for the newer software if possible. But that has the potential to be a very long time...

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I was informed by Abbott
That it was the nfc antenna in the s7 that was too powerful and it was bricking the sensors.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
S7 edge I have is fine. Plus I think it's a much better phone

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was informed by Abbott
That it was the nfc antenna in the s7 that was too powerful and it was bricking the sensors.
Interesting...

I've just had a look on my Playstore and there is no sign of LibreLink; although I have it installed and using it right now. I've had no issues with sensors, but obviously enough people have been reporting failed sensors. I wonder what the difference is between the two handset's NFC systems?

S7 edge I have is fine. Plus I think it's a much better phone
Well it's win win for you then:D

Reactions: Brava210

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I did try side loading the APK but it kept saying not compatible?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did try side loading the APK but it kept saying not compatible?
I only side-loaded the APK before the release of the official app and it worked fine then. I still have functionality now with my pre-installed version of LibreLink, but going by what you've said and the fact it's not in the Playstore, I'd bet if I uninstalled it I wouldn't be able to reinstall.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I also used it fine on my One Plus 3

spideog

I've seen mentioned elsewhere that the S8 does work with certain versions of the firmware. Has anyone had success with different firmware?

djmills1984

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My girlfriend recently got the S8 and it would not work with the libre, I have however now got it working, what I did was to downgrade it to firmware version G950FXXU1AQC9, the exact filename I downloaded was G950FXXU1AQC9_G950FOXM1AQC9_BTU.zip I believe you can get it from samfirm.com but I got it from a French site as it was faster, I then flash as shown on this forum topic: forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/official-stock-firmware-update-odin-t3598172 and its now working perfect. BEWARE: I had to do a factory reset after flashing so make sure you backup, if you don't do this you will get constant force close errors until you do a reset. Also make sure you disable automatic updates or the problem will come back next time your phone updates. This IS Samsung's fault as none of the third party apps will recognize the libre either but on this downgraded version they ALL work so it must be Samsung's fault.

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
So I've installed it ok on s8 but it doesn't seem to scan?