Any diabetic friendly easy homemade ice cream recipes please

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
I regularly made easy mixed together ice cream and freeze recipes which are now bad for me, has anyone got a recipe which is diabetic friendly please Xx

Reactions: Freema

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This recipe takes about 2 minutes:

Take a frozen punnet of berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, black currants, etc.)

Place them in a good quality blender (it is going to have to work hard, and you don't want to burn out the motor)
2 parts frozen berries, to
1 part double cream (aka Heavy Cream in America)
and some sweetener (judging the sweetener will take a bit of practice, and will depend on the brand)

Blitz.
Serve immediately (it will set rock solid if you try and freeze it for later)

A little practice and you can adjust the sweetness and the softness/hardness by tweaking the proportions.

It can also be done with frozen milk, chocolate pieces, and all sorts of other low carb ingredients.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
This recipe takes about 2 minutes:

Take a frozen punnet of berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, black currants, etc.)

Place them in a good quality blender (it is going to have to work hard, and you don't want to burn out the motor)
2 parts frozen berries, to
1 part double cream (aka Heavy Cream in America)
and some sweetener (judging the sweetener will take a bit of practice, and will depend on the brand)

Blitz.
Serve immediately (it will set rock solid if you try and freeze it for later)

A little practice and you can adjust the sweetness and the softness/hardness by tweaking the proportions.

It can also be done with frozen milk, chocolate pieces, and all sorts of other low carb ingredients.
Thankyou xxxxx

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made low carb chocolate cake today but over baked it so it is rather dry. Thinking of experimenting crumbling it up with double cream and putting in the ice cream maker. Will maybe include some berries. Love making ice cream but it is very much a case of eating it as soon as it's made because once in the freezer I can't get it out of the container without breaking the spoon!

Reactions: Rosiegough_

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to have a bash at low carb sorbet this summer I think, I used to love a nice lemon sorbet. I'll post about it if the results are good.

@Mongolia would it be worth trying some of it as the base for low carb tiramisu (soaked in rum or brandy mixed with strong coffee)?

Reactions: Rosiegough_

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to have a bash at low carb sorbet this summer I think, I used to love a nice lemon sorbet. I'll post about it if the results are good.

@Mongolia would it be worth trying some of it as the base for low carb tiramisu (soaked in rum or brandy mixed with strong coffee)?
Ooh liking the idea of tiramisu! Will investigate how to make that now as have never made it before, even in before diabetic life! Never made sorbet either. Assume I can make it in an ice cream maker? Another thing to investigate this evening;).

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd love to make some of these recipes, but have never come across a sweetener that doesn't taste horrible to me. I can tolerate it in fizzy drinks for some reason, but it seems to taste so strong in any other foodstuff. :(

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love to make some of these recipes, but have never come across a sweetener that doesn't taste horrible to me. I can tolerate it in fizzy drinks for some reason, but it seems to taste so strong in any other foodstuff. :(
I tend to just use a random amount of liquid stevia (it comes in different flavours; I'm currently using coconut) and add just enough to make it sweet enough.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ooh thanks Ewelina, will give this a try:hungry:. Whilst looking at this I was inspired to make the chia seed pudding for breakfast tomorrow too. Time to start up those summer recipes again.
I forgot about chia pudding! Getting bored of eggs and mackerel for breakfast :meh:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try erythritol (or xylitol). No aftertaste and really similar to sugar

Reactions: lorraine95

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot about chia pudding! Getting bored of eggs and mackerel for breakfast :meh:
Yeah, much as I love eggs there are some mornings when they really don't inspire me! Pancakes and berries good as an alternative if I have time but will have a go of your bread too as there are times when all I want is hot buttered toast:(

Reactions: ewelina

CHIET1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hyperglycemia, hpyos, fake food!
Hi @Mongolia

Over Easter I made a low carb sorbet / mousse ice cream. I used:
1 ripe avocado
3 - 4 Tbsp Greek unsweetened natural yogurt
3 Tbsp of full fat cream
100g or so frozen berries, raspberries are great and v low carb
A dash of vanilla powder
1 tbsp of sweetener of choice, I used Dr. coys stevia/erylite mix, I guess you could use xylitol
A dash of almond milk unsweetened

I justed threw everything into my blender and it turned out great. If you eat it right away it is like a soft ice sorbet/mousse. Tasted great even my wife and mother in law loved it, both are non-diabetics!

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV: don't watch TV, find most programs boring.Don't have a telly now but do watch videos now & then on a monitor.
Hi @CHIET1

Sounds great & no eggs, fantastic will try this. Thanks, Squeekyboy :)