Really worried about my eyes...

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've always had bad vision since I was about 8. I was diagnosed at the age of 16 and my vision has gradually gotten worse. I also have large eyes because of grave's disease and they make me feel so gross and ugly... I regret to say my diabetes control has been horrible due to denial, lack of support and mental illnesses.

My eye pressure has always been okay as far as I know, however I had my eyes photographed at specsavers as part of a routine eye appointment on Friday, and the optometrist alerted me of blood spots in my eye, outside of the veins. So they're leaking into the fluid... She showed me the photos, and they have stuck with me. My eye pressure was so high they took it twice to check. She said it's not too much to worry about right now but it's terrified me. I am also at high risk for glaucoma and I'm just... terrified. I'm only 31.

I just got a call from Specsavers again, who said they want to check my eye pressure again with a different method. They said if the pressure is still high they'll refer me to the hospital??

Sorry I'm just so worried, since Friday I've been extremely depressed. I'm an artist so I can't even imagine living with being blind. I know this is all my fault too and I feel worthless.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
@KitsuneRin from someone of experience of the damage poor control can do, can I advise you take this as the wake up call to sort your control out. Afraid the past is just that, but you still have the present and future, and so now is the time to start taking it seriously. Whatever you haven't been doing so far, whether it is injections, blood tests, appointments etc, draw up a plan, and start. Don't try to fix everything in one big hit, the chances are it will overwhelm you, and lack of immediate results will demoralise you, but do start to plan. Something I was advised by my ophthalmologist was to lower BG's gradually, as a sudden drop could actually cause more problems. Set small achievable targets and you'll be amazed at the difference it can make

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you attend Diabetic Hospital Clinic? If so, they will advise you what to do. Good luck.

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@KitsuneRin from someone of experience of the damage poor control can do, can I advise you take this as the wake up call to sort your control out. Afraid the past is just that, but you still have the present and future, and so now is the time to start taking it seriously. Whatever you haven't been doing so far, whether it is injections, blood tests, appointments etc, draw up a plan, and start. Don't try to fix everything in one big hit, the chances are it will overwhelm you, and lack of immediate results will demoralise you, but do start to plan. Something I was advised by my ophthalmologist was to lower BG's gradually, as a sudden drop could actually cause more problems. Set small achievable targets and you'll be amazed at the difference it can make

Yeah haha it's actually why I'm back on the forums! I've tried and failed to control my diabetes for so long and I've had a few wake up calls. I think my denial largely comes from a huge lack of support when I was first diagnosed in 2002, as well as being a teenager and just never coming to terms with it at all, always wanting to fit in and such.

I've learned so many things from this forum already, much more than my hospital told me and much more than I learned in nearly 15 years. So I am hugely grateful for the support here on this forum. I will do as you say and try to set myself reasonable goals. For instance, it is not uncommon for my blood sugar to be in the 16-20 range and it even got to a point where even as high as 9.0 it would give me hypo symptoms, resulting in me panicking without having the sense to measure and treat the 'hypo'. And then wonder why it was nearer 30 afterwards!

But the last few days I've been a lot more sensible and managed to get it to a range of about 5-10. This is an improvement but I keep getting depressed that it's still not perfect. I'm learning how certain foods affect me and such too.

Honestly I must have done a whole lot of damage to myself already and I have no one else to blame except myself. I'm gonna talk to my therapists about it too, they've been busy diagnosing me with this and that and yet I bet half of it is caused by diabetes!

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you attend Diabetic Hospital Clinic? If so, they will advise you what to do. Good luck.

I was a bit worried as I know I have endo appointments but I couldn't seem to figure out when my next diabetes specific one was! I contacted my GP today though and they advised me that I can talk about diabetes and stuff at my LTC clinic appointment on the 24th! I felt a bit silly as that kinda seems obvious! :(

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Haven't Specsavers referred you for a glaucoma check ?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been attending your annual retinopathy screening @KitsuneRin ? If specsavers have found spots of blood in the back of your eye this may have been picked up, with a treatment plan in place, by the retinopathy screening. Have specsavers referred you to for a proper ophthalmology review? That's what you should be seeking from your GP.

Reactions: Debzz_

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been attending your annual retinopathy screening @KitsuneRin ? If specsavers have found spots of blood in the back of your eye this may have been picked up, with a treatment plan in place, by the retinopathy screening. Have specsavers referred you to for a proper ophthalmology review? That's what you should be seeking from your GP.

Hi, yes I have, I don't remember them saying anything was wrong though which is weird. Then again I do have short-term memory problems, but I would hope I would remember something like that :(

And I went yesterday, they did a test where they used a probe with a light on it to look into my eyes, it was weird and I could feel it at first, despite the anesthetic (and left me with a corneal scratch)! They had to put more on and they said the pressure was not as high as last Friday, but still abnormal so they have referred me to the hospital.

So worried ;;

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've always had bad vision since I was about 8. I was diagnosed at the age of 16 and my vision has gradually gotten worse. I also have large eyes because of grave's disease and they make me feel so gross and ugly... I regret to say my diabetes control has been horrible due to denial, lack of support and mental illnesses.

My eye pressure has always been okay as far as I know, however I had my eyes photographed at specsavers as part of a routine eye appointment on Friday, and the optometrist alerted me of blood spots in my eye, outside of the veins. So they're leaking into the fluid... She showed me the photos, and they have stuck with me. My eye pressure was so high they took it twice to check. She said it's not too much to worry about right now but it's terrified me. I am also at high risk for glaucoma and I'm just... terrified. I'm only 31.

I just got a call from Specsavers again, who said they want to check my eye pressure again with a different method. They said if the pressure is still high they'll refer me to the hospital??

Sorry I'm just so worried, since Friday I've been extremely depressed. I'm an artist so I can't even imagine living with being blind. I know this is all my fault too and I feel worthless.

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm partially sighted, have been since birth, nothing to do with diabetes. You'll still be able to create beautiful works as an artist even if you were to lose some sight, or all of it. Many people go blind from all sorts of things. Sometimes they use what they have left to create differently using their same materials. Others take up more tactile methods of expression. Hopefully with good diabetic control and glaucoma medication, you'll be able to continue for many years. Why have you had poir sight since the age of eight may I ask? Get in touch with the Royal National Institute of Blind People, they'll have support for you and your career as well as accessing art exhibitions etc.

alandmcleod

Hi there. I have also gone thru this with not a good outcome. I noticed my vision getting very "scrunched" up. Diagonsed with retinopathy with leaking exudate. Went to Moorfields to have laser treatment to stop the leaking exudate. Walked out an hour later with a tear in the macula of my left eye. Suffice to say, no central vision now in that eye. So, take this VERY SERIOUSLY and get your BG under control. Hope it all works out for you

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
I would suggest going to the hospital for a eye screening test. Specsavers should have really done that to be honest. Especially being diabetic! I really hope everything gets sorted. And let us know what happens.

PaulDoyle

I had this and got the eye photograph which showed up all the tiny burst blood vessels, I was unable to read a newspaper but could still do my work, I paid for an online course to fix the Diabetes and for the eyes he recommended 150mg that is 5 capsules of 30mg Pycnogenol for 5 days which is made from a French tree bark, it worked after 3 days, on my next visit 1 year 4 months later to the Clinic they ordered a retest but i read the bottom row of the eye chart from 4 meters away the Doc was 3 meters away and she could not read the small letters on the bottom row, but when i was photographed he had to do it again because there was no burst vessels, my medical history said i should have them as there is no cure for this, alternatives do work and i bought the cheapest brand.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your annual retinopathy screening should have picked it up. At my local screening clinic they used check eye pressure routinely . Now since the service has been contracted out to a private service about 2 years ago, they have stopped doing this. When I asked why stop something which takes less than 2 minutes and pick up a serious eye condition I was told the service is only meant to screen for retinopathy, for anything else I should see my optician. So much for patient care!

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm partially sighted, have been since birth, nothing to do with diabetes. You'll still be able to create beautiful works as an artist even if you were to lose some sight, or all of it. Many people go blind from all sorts of things. Sometimes they use what they have left to create differently using their same materials. Others take up more tactile methods of expression. Hopefully with good diabetic control and glaucoma medication, you'll be able to continue for many years. Why have you had poir sight since the age of eight may I ask? Get in touch with the Royal National Institute of Blind People, they'll have support for you and your career as well as accessing art exhibitions etc.

Ah sorry I think I worded it incorrectly! I am not blind or partially sighted, I have just required glasses due to my vision, and every time I go I need a new prescription. I am certainly trying to look after myself more now because this scare has just been the worse :(

Your annual retinopathy screening should have picked it up. At my local screening clinic they used check eye pressure routinely . Now since the service has been contracted out to a private service about 2 years ago, they have stopped doing this. When I asked why stop something which takes less than 2 minutes and pick up a serious eye condition I was told the service is only meant to screen for retinopathy, for anything else I should see my optician. So much for patient care!

I'm pretty sure I had retinopathy this year but they didn't alert me of anything like that which worries me! I wonder if it came on really suddenly? I don't remember them checking my eye pressure though huh

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there. I have also gone thru this with not a good outcome. I noticed my vision getting very "scrunched" up. Diagonsed with retinopathy with leaking exudate. Went to Moorfields to have laser treatment to stop the leaking exudate. Walked out an hour later with a tear in the macula of my left eye. Suffice to say, no central vision now in that eye. So, take this VERY SERIOUSLY and get your BG under control. Hope it all works out for you

Oh my god that is terrifying!! I'm so sorry that happened to you! This is certainly a warning!! I am finally getting on top of my blood glucose, I'm so scared about this whole thing

juliec44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, yes I have, I don't remember them saying anything was wrong though which is weird. Then again I do have short-term memory problems, but I would hope I would remember something like that :(

And I went yesterday, they did a test where they used a probe with a light on it to look into my eyes, it was weird and I could feel it at first, despite the anesthetic (and left me with a corneal scratch)! They had to put more on and they said the pressure was not as high as last Friday, but still abnormal so they have referred me to the hospital.

So worried ;;
You get sent a letter after the diabetic retinopathy test, so you should have the results on paper. I was told that I had background retinopathy at my last test.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had this and got the eye photograph which showed up all the tiny burst blood vessels, I was unable to read a newspaper but could still do my work, I paid for an online course to fix the Diabetes and for the eyes he recommended 150mg that is 5 capsules of 30mg Pycnogenol for 5 days which is made from a French tree bark, it worked after 3 days, on my next visit 1 year 4 months later to the Clinic they ordered a retest but i read the bottom row of the eye chart from 4 meters away the Doc was 3 meters away and she could not read the small letters on the bottom row, but when i was photographed he had to do it again because there was no burst vessels, my medical history said i should have them as there is no cure for this, alternatives do work and i bought the cheapest brand.
Pycnogenol may increase the risk of internal bleeding, and may interfere with recovery from surgery. Supplement taken orally is considered to be relatively safe, but may lower bgl levels, so take into account with diabetic treatments, esp insulin. May also worsen autoimmune conditions since it stimulates the immune system. Contraindicated with auto immune suppressants including cocortisoidal steroids and antifungals. (WebMD), Not suitable for use by anyone undergoing investigation for low ferritin or RBC count (anemia) Possibly may lower BP as a result of blood vessel dilation, but this is not declared as being a serious issue

Edit to add: Yes I have taken pycnogeol myself, but I did not notice any significant benefit for myself.

See also
https://www.drugs.com/npp/pycnogenol.html

Last edited: