Help??

Type of diabetes
Type 2
so I'm 17 and have been type 2 for about 18 months now (was type 1 due to acute pancreatitis for about a year before hand) and have recently been noticing things. I don't know if they're diabetes complications though. I've been very very dizzy all the time, even when lying down (my blood sugars are fine), my feet have been hurting a lot, when I get up out of bed I sometimes cry because the pressure of standing on them hurts so much, they've been tingling along with my hands (and weirdly very itchy???) and I know that diabetes can cause complications with your feet. I don't know what to do, I have an appointment booked but I can't sleep because I'm so dizzy, I'm constantly getting sent home from work (when I'm actually able to go), I can't live like this ☹️ What do I do??

No1DeadlyPoison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hello, Firstly its great you've book an appointment and hopefully they find the reason why you're dizzy. They will probably check your blood pressure as that can cause dizziness too and if you are stressed because your foot pain is disrupting your day-to-day life that might affect your blood pressure. With your feet, Can I ask with the itching, if you scratch it does the itch go away or does it continue to itch? I ask this because it does sound very nerve related, the pressure, tingling etc, and with nerve problems when you have an itch and scratch it, it doesn't tend to go away. The main thing for you do to is to make sure you definitely see a doctor or your Diabetic nurse and get everything checked out.

In the link it does say about high blood pressure, and like I said ^ up there that could be why you're dizzy.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetes-neuropathy.html

This might not be much help and I am not a doctor, but I have had dizziness like this before and it was my blood pressure and being diabetic you are prone to things like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, retinopathy etc. Let us know what happens.

Take care. xoxo

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hiya. I agree with @No1DeadlyPoison. When you do see your doctor, be sure to go into detail about anything bothering you. The feet thing could be a complication related to your diabetes...but unlikely if you levels are good. You say "my blood sugars are fine", but what are they and how regularly do you test them? In relation to the dizziness, how long have you felt like this? What kind of food are you eating/not eating? Diet can cause dizziness as can lack of fluid/dehydration. That said, I too would say blood pressure is more likely the cause (if you are actually well otherwise). I've had blood pressure issues for a long time due to a kidney condition, and I know exactly how **** light-headedness and nausea can make you feel. The right medication is important. Usually blood pressure issues, depending on cause, are easily managed. If you add low or high blood sugar to the blood pressure...it definitely weakens you. Ironically, I got diabetes from drugs I had to take following a successful kidney transplant. The right diet is helping me manage it all. Being informed is half the battle. You are doing the right thing going to the doctor about it. Meantime there is absolutely no point in worrying. Do up your fluid intake a wee bit (water or very diluted no sugar juice like Robinsons). Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

SimonCrox

The tingling, itching, pain all sound very neuropathic. This is really odd because you probably did not have the diabetes before you had the pancreatitis, and it would be very unusual to get neuropathy from diabetes after only 2.5 years.
Getting pancreatitis might affect your absorption of vitamin D.
So, I would ask the GP if he/she thinks it could be neuropathy and if it could be related to lack of vitamin D, vitamin B12, underactive thyroid.
Is it known why you had the pancreatitis at 17 - I guess "viral".
The dizzyness lying down with normal glucose levels is odd; is it light headedness, world spinning round vertigo or unsteadyness or something else?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The tingling, itching, pain all sound very neuropathic. This is really odd because you probably did not have the diabetes before you had the pancreatitis, and it would be very unusual to get neuropathy from diabetes after only 2.5 years.
Getting pancreatitis might affect your absorption of vitamin D.
So, I would ask the GP if he/she thinks it could be neuropathy and if it could be related to lack of vitamin D, vitamin B12, underactive thyroid.
Is it known why you had the pancreatitis at 17 - I guess "viral".
The dizzyness lying down with normal glucose levels is odd; is it light headedness, world spinning round vertigo or unsteadyness or something else?
I actually got pancreatitis when I was 15, as a result of having gallstones for about 2 years beforehand, which caused me to loose 70% pancreatic function, hence the diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, Firstly its great you've book an appointment and hopefully find the reason why you;re dizzy. They will probably check your blood pressure as that can cause dizziness too and if you are stressed because your foot pain is disrupting your day-to-day that might affect your blood pressure. With your feet, Can I ask with the itching, if you scratch it does the itch go away or does it continue to itch? I ask this because it does sound very nerve related, the pressure, tingling etc, and with nerve problems when you have an itch and scratch it, it doesn't tend to go away. My mine thing for you do to is to make sure you definitely see a doctor or your Diabetic nurse and get everything checked out.

In the link it does say about high blood pressure, and like I said ^ up there that could be why you're dizzy.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetes-neuropathy.html

This might not be much help and I am not a doctor, but I have had dizziness like this before and it was my blood pressure and being diabetic you are prone to things like high blood pressure, high high cholesterol, retinopathy etc. Let us know what happens.

Take care. xoxo
It's continuous, I can scratch and scratch and scratch and it doesn't go away

SimonCrox

I actually got pancreatitis when I was 15, as a result of having gallstones for about 2 years beforehand, which caused me to loose 70% pancreatic function, hence the diabetes
Sorry - that is extremely unlucky to get gallstones so young. I cannot think of anything that would give both gallstones and neuropathy. best wishes.