Shell shocked!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Indeed you're right. I had a lie in and I just checked it now and it 8.2 Off to get some breakfast …
DP isn't something to worry too much about. It's normal and non-diabetics get it too. Your figures through the day are good.

Reactions: Rachox

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So I awoke at 7am with a bg of 6.7, laid in and at 9am it was 8.2. The dawn phenomenon I gather.
I'm trying to think how to manage this on weekdays. I get up at 7.15, pre diabetes I got up had a Tassimo cappuccino (2.5g carbs and 2.8g fat). I'd then do the school run returning at around 8.45 and have breakfast.
If I carry on with this routine, will the cappuccino be enough to stop the dawn phenomenon?
Only way to find out is to test. Maybe you could add more double cream to your cappucino.

Reactions: Ultramum

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only way to find out is to test. Maybe you could add more double cream to your cappucino.

I'm not keen on creamy coffees, would a Tassimo Latte be better they have twice the carbs and fat?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't know. Only way to find out is to test. You could try eating something like a bit of cheese or a hard boiled egg.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it is the carbs you need to avoid, most do best under 100 grams on a day in total

you could sweeten your coffee with sucralose ;
http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/sucralose.html

it actually tastes almost like sugar and is great on strawberries with cream

I am keeping to 100g carbs per day. I'm just trying to work out how to stop the dawn phenomenon when I get up with a suitable coffee (coffee addict here, well I have given up chocolate and crisps, I have to have one vice! )

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am keeping to 100g carbs per day. I'm just trying to work out how to stop the dawn phenomenon when I get up with a suitable coffee (coffee addict here, well I have given up chocolate and crisps, I have to have one vice! )

carbs do the opposite of stopping the dawn phenomenon a mix of protein and fat is helpfull for that , like a cheese stick or pork scrathings or an egg ... or avocado with mayo and shrimps

you could also eat a spoonfull of coconut oil (it is easy to swollow and very healthy )and then drink your coffee without cream

Reactions: Ultramum and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know. Only way to find out is to test. You could try eating something like a bit of cheese or a hard boiled egg.

This is the problem I can't stomach food when I first get up so trying to work out which coffee is best. Is it just something hitting your stomach that stops DP, or is it the fat or carb content in it?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the problem I can't stomach food when I first get up so trying to work out which coffee is best. Is it just something hitting your stomach that stops DP, or is it the fat or carb content in it?
You probably should experiment a bit.. I haven't eaten breakfast since diagnosis and my sugars don't go up if I don't eat. But it took a very long time for them to get as low as my other readings. Probably about 9 months of very low carb (less than 20g per day) and skipping breakfast. I start my day with 2 mugs of tea with lactofree milk (lower carbs than regular) followed by a strong coffee (triple shot americano) with 30 ml of double cream in it for elevenses (ususally twlevses for me). The cream fills you up so if I skip lunch, which these days is quite often, then I don't get hungry until dinner time. As we're all unique you need to try various things to find what work best for you but don't get hung up on the first morning reading. it will come down eventually but it may well take a fair bit of time.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You probably should experiment a bit.. I haven't eaten breakfast since diagnosis and my sugars don't go up if I don't eat. But it took a very long time for them to get as low as my other readings. Probably about 9 months of very low carb (less than 20g per day) and skipping breakfast. I start my day with 2 mugs of tea with lactofree milk (lower carbs than regular) followed by a strong coffee (triple shot americano) with 30 ml of double cream in it for elevenses (ususally twlevses for me). The cream fills you up so if I skip lunch, which these days is quite often, then I don't get hungry until dinner time. As we're all unique you need to try various things to find what work best for you but don't get hung up on the first morning reading. it will come down eventually but it may well take a fair bit of time.

Thank you, I'll just try what I always did then. Cappuccino when I first get up, then breakfast after the school run and hope it works!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
carbs do the opposite of stopping the dawn phenomenon a mix of protein and fat is helpfull for that , like a cheese stick or pork scrathings or an egg ... or avocado with mayo and shrimps

you could also eat a spoonfull of coconut oil (it is easy to swollow and very healthy )and then drink your coffee without cream

Oh yuk! Sounds like good idea looking at the nutritional content of coconut oil, however I hate coconut!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox if you have ordinbary milk in your coffee this may not be helping you. Milk is very carby. Full cream milk is better than skimmed or semi skimmed because of the extra fat. It is FAT you need in a morning. I can't manage ANY carbs before lunch. Double cream is much better, or 2 boiled eggs.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox if you have ordinbary milk in your coffee this may not be helping you. Milk is very carby. Full cream milk is better than skimmed or semi skimmed because of the extra fat. It is FAT you need in a morning. I can't manage ANY carbs before lunch. Double cream is much better, or 2 boiled eggs.

I have a Tassimo machine, the milk and coffee come in pods, I don't really know what type the milk is! However the nutritional info says 2.8g of fat for the cappuccino. The Tassimo Lattes have 4.5g of fat, maybe I should start my day with a Latte instead!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not the Fat that matters.

It's possible that the powdered Milk in the pods is sweetened, so it's the Carb content that you should try to be aware of.

Fresh Milk contains between 4.7 & 5 grams of Carb per 100ml depending on whether it is Whole, Semi or Skimmed. You would probably use much less than 100ml in a Coffee so it might be wise to compare the Carb content of the Pods to "real" milk.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not the Fat that matters.

It's possible that the powdered Milk in the pods is sweetened, so it's the Carb content that you should try to be aware of.

Fresh Milk contains between 4.7 & 5 grams of Carb per 100ml depending on whether it is Whole, Semi or Skimmed. You would probably use much less than 100ml in a Coffee so it might be wise to compare the Carb content of the Pods to "real" milk.
The carb content for the cappuccino is 2.5g and 5g for the Latte. I buy the less sweet ones.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have coffee for breakfast, but I make my own fresh coffee in a stove top expresso pot. I heat some full fat milk and put it with the coffee in a thermos jug to use throughout the day. My first cup of the day is this with a blob of added double cream. I wouldn't use Tassimo pods, as one of my aims is to not use overly processed foods. I want to know as far as possible what's in my food and so avoid hidden stuff that's not good for my BS.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the Tassimo Costa Americano pods and then add about 30ml of double cream. I don't think it will hurt to finish your supply of the cappuccino and latte pods - just test so you know what they do to your BG. If the rise isn't too bad then carry on as you have done.

If you are unhappy with the rise to breakfast then perhaps look at changing the fat content of your morning coffee ...

My BG can make it past 11 if I skip or have a late breakfast. I now get up about 6:30 specifically to get breakfast into me - not being a lark in any shape or form makes it difficult but I'm determined to get my Type 2 under control. You may find that it affects you very differently - trial and error and testing everything is the way to go.

I try to eat as few carbs as possible during the day - saving them for my evening meal - but that is because they raise my BG too high for my liking during the day. I also only have 20-30 g - again my body doesn't deal well with them - you may find something different works for you.

You'll find out what works for you I'm sure :)

Reactions: Chook and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the Tassimo Costa Americano pods and then add about 30ml of double cream. I don't think it will hurt to finish your supply of the cappuccino and latte pods - just test so you know what they do to your BG. If the rise isn't too bad then carry on as you have done.

If you are unhappy with the rise to breakfast then perhaps look at changing the fat content of your morning coffee ...

My BG can make it past 11 if I skip or have a late breakfast. I now get up about 6:30 specifically to get breakfast into me - not being a lark in any shape or form makes it difficult but I'm determined to get my Type 2 under control. You may find that it affects you very differently - trial and error and testing everything is the way to go.

I try to eat as few carbs as possible during the day - saving them for my evening meal - but that is because they raise my BG too high for my liking during the day. I also only have 20-30 g - again my body doesn't deal well with them - you may find something different works for you.

You'll find out what works for you I'm sure :)

Another Tassi fan! I'm going to try my usual cappuccino tomorrow and check as you say. Unfortunately I'd just ordered a big order of Tassis!

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found a few macadamia nuts (25g) help to stop the DP in its tracks - occasionally with a Babybel cheese