Fasting is working it's magic

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
My fasting is back on track and I'm seeing better BS results. I miss breakfast every day now, having either water or a coffee and double cream. Days I don't work or start work for the late shift (2.30 to 10p.m.) I miss out lunch too. At work I eat between 5 and 6pm at home I fast til about 7pm. Non working days I fast until teatime, so fast from 24 to 26 hrs. Days that I start work at 7 or 8 am I have a snack for lunch, some Spanish or Italian meat with a boiled egg mashed with mayonnaise or half an avocado instead.
Exercise is back on track now, before my husband's council elections got in the way, but from today I've Zumba and aqua
Zumba booked.
Yesterday after work I went for a cycle and my BS was 6.4 and after tea and at bedtime 6.5. It was 10.1 this morning after a night of weird dreams. But it WILL go down after exercise and fasting until about 7.30pm

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Well done for starting off again.. you know you can do this..

I don't miss food when I'm home at all. I've just done a shop of olives and peppers, cheese and chorizo, so that will be my snack for work tomorrow.
Roast chicken tonight with lots of veg. Roast tatties for Mr Councillor, but none for me. I'm making some homemade custard too, with full cream milk, cream and eggs, flavoured with vanilla and a small amount of sweetener, not the 8 oz of sugar the recipe states!
Aqua zumba this morning and zumba 2 hrs after tea (so not a big tea!).

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@bulkbiker Your advice please :)

Waking this morning and my BS was 11.1 after about 4 hrs sleep. No breakfast this morning (as usual) then off to the sports centre for a 1 hr exercise class, a mix of yoga exercises for the older person! But still lots of stretching and enough to raise my heart beat to 122 instead of around the mid 60's
A long cycle home, about 3/4 hr instead of 5 mins, collecting newly laid hen eggs for my tea tonight :)
My BS is STILL 11.1

What do I do???? I didn't plan on having anything to eat until after my zumba class tonight at 7pm

Reactions: sarah_chadwick

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Did you see the Michael Mosley programme call something like 'The Truth About Sleep'? Part of it was how not having enough sleep made people's BG go high. Michael Mosley 's BG went up in to the 9s. Maybe only having 4 hours sleep could be your problem?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did you see the Michael Mosley programme call something like 'The Truth About Sleep'? Part of it was how not having enough sleep made people's BG go high. Michael Mosley 's BG went up in to the 9s. Maybe only having 4 hours sleep could be your problem?

@Chook I watched part of it, how BG goes high with lack of sleep..... then I fell asleep on the sofa!
I thought that after my exercise it would have lowered? I'm off work at the moment to try and get into a normal sleep pattern, as I wasn't coping at work being so tired all the time. The morning I went speak to the Dr I'd only managed about 90 mins of sleep all night. I certainly wasn't fit for work that morning.

Still continuing my 24hr fasting as I'm sure it IS the way to go!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
LOL - Try watching the programme again - I found it very useful as Mr Chook has sleeping issues and some of what MM said on the programme might work for him - although I've no idea where to find the fibrous pre-biotic drink powder sachets.

I used to suffer with insomnia - in my case it turned out to be caffeine and I no longer drink any kind of caffeinated drink apart from occasionally very first thing in the morning - so mainly I don't bother. I've found I also have to be careful when I eat chocolate (80% or above) - because if I have that after dinner it can stop me sleeping.

About BGs, drinking lots of water brings mine down and some of us on the Low Carb What Have You Eaten Thread have found that good quality high % chocolate can have a BG lowering affect.

I think I've read other threads where people have said that exercise has increased their BG so you aren't alone.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker Your advice please :)

Waking this morning and my BS was 11.1 after about 4 hrs sleep. No breakfast this morning (as usual) then off to the sports centre for a 1 hr exercise class, a mix of yoga exercises for the older person! But still lots of stretching and enough to raise my heart beat to 122 instead of around the mid 60's
A long cycle home, about 3/4 hr instead of 5 mins, collecting newly laid hen eggs for my tea tonight :)
My BS is STILL 11.1

What do I do???? I didn't plan on having anything to eat until after my zumba class tonight at 7pm

I'm guessing a bit here..
I imagine your increased exercise could have stopped your blood sugar from coming down.. more glucose being pushed out to fuel the extra effort. It probably shows your liver is dumping as much glucose as it can while it has a chance. So if I were you I'd carry on as I intended with the fast and monitor to see what happens. You're doing a hell of a lot in one day.. don't get exercise fatigue! Sorry for delay but have been out all day.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm guessing a bit here..
I imagine your increased exercise could have stopped your blood sugar from coming down.. more glucose being pushed out to fuel the extra effort. It probably shows your liver is dumping as much glucose as it can while it has a chance. So if I were you I'd carry on as I intended with the fast and monitor to see what happens. You're doing a hell of a lot in one day.. don't get exercise fatigue! Sorry for delay but have been out all day.

@bulkbiker Thanks for replying, I didn't expect an instant reply :)
The cycling isn't as hard as it sounds as I have a power assisted bike! But I only use it on the lowest setting and it only works if I pedal, no pedal no movement - unless downhill!

I take it that the sugar being dumped from my liver from exercise is good? Have drunk lots of water today and only one coffee and cream.
Tested just now and I'm a 9.0 Looking forward to my tea tonight though! Freshly laid hen eggs, not sure what I will do with them yet :)

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I can attest to that - my BS levels are always up when I have only had about 4 hours sleep.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker Thanks for replying, I didn't expect an instant reply :)
The cycling isn't as hard as it sounds as I have a power assisted bike! But I only use it on the lowest setting and it only works if I pedal, no pedal no movement - unless downhill!

I take it that the sugar being dumped from my liver from exercise is good? Have drunk lots of water today and only one coffee and cream.
Tested just now and I'm a 9.0 Looking forward to my tea tonight though! Freshly laid hen eggs, not sure what I will do with them yet :)

Yep it should be even if you have raised levels for a short while it should come down longer term.
Enjoy the eggs.. poached with some butter on top would be my suggestion..

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yep it should be even if you have raised levels for a short while it should come down longer term.
Enjoy the eggs.. poached with some butter on top would be my suggestion..

one poached egg (with butter, good choice!) and one hard boiled egg mashed with mayonnaise. 6 green olives, 2 slices of parma ham, 2 slices of salame de parma and a 1 inch slice of salami sausage sliced. Oh and a small spoon of shop baked peppers.

First food of the day :)

Forgot to add BG 7.5 after exercise and before food :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
one poached egg (with butter, good choice!) and one hard boiled egg mashed with mayonnaise. 6 green olives, 2 slices of parma ham, 2 slices of salame de parma and a 1 inch slice of salami sausage sliced. Oh and a small spoon of shop baked peppers.

First food of the day :)

Forgot to add BG 7.5 after exercise and before food :)
Nice one.. you're getting there.. well done.. dinner sounds nice..

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nice one.. you're getting there.. well done.. dinner sounds nice..

Had 6 tiny baby strawberries (Tesco sell them at £1 for a large punnet called 'imperfect' but taste wonderful), 6 blueberries and 6 raspberries with some cream for pudding. Maybe they have made my readings higher? I use a small ramikin dish so I don't eat too much fruit.

Reactions: ickihun

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had 6 tiny baby strawberries (Tesco sell them at £1 for a large punnet called 'imperfect' but taste wonderful), 6 blueberries and 6 raspberries with some cream for pudding. Maybe they have made my readings higher? I use a small ramikin dish so I don't eat too much fruit.
That's probably more than I would have..in one sitting.. I prob do about 8 raspberries at any one time. 50-60g. I buy the frozen ones from Waitrose or M&S they can sit in the freezer for ages and when you add the cream it kind of freezes around the fruit so you get frozen cream covered raspberries.. quite partial to those!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's probably more than I would have..in one sitting.. I prob do about 8 raspberries at any one time. 50-60g. I buy the frozen ones from Waitrose or M&S they can sit in the freezer for ages and when you add the cream it kind of freezes around the fruit so you get frozen cream covered raspberries.. quite partial to those!

Thanks @bulkbiker I have made a note NOT to eat so much fruit in one sitting. I have frozen rasps in the freezer, I love the idea of frozen cream :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So do you have to just ride the high bgs til they eventually settle @bulkbiker ?
Is say cream aloud in the fasting periods of high bgs before or after exercise or are fasts designed for people less active?
I still don't understand the short term benefit of fasting. Are there any?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So do you have to just ride the high bgs til they eventually settle @bulkbiker ?
Is say cream aloud in the fasting periods of high bgs before or after exercise or are fasts designed for people less active?
I still don't understand the short term benefit of fasting. Are there any?
Personally I would ride out the highs.. @berylc was doing some quite strenuous exercise which probably caused her rise anyway and lack of sleep is well know for impacting on BS levels so I'd just keep on fasting.
As for cream I have it in my coffee everyday at 11-12 am after mugs of tea in the early morning. I don't eat breakfast just have that.
The benefits of fasting are that as you aren't stimulating your pancreas to produce insulin it extends the overnight rest period (or at least that's my understanding). So your sugars should lower (unless your liver takes advantage of the opportunity of dumping the excess sugar you are carrying as a Type 2 into the blood stream to use as fuel while there is no food coming in, which is also a good thing of course). It will depend on how much excess glucose you are carrying around whether this happens. As I eat a ketogenic diet I spend all the time in ketosis so no longer have the excess glucose stores (or at least far fewer) - if you are just starting out then this won't be quite the same. That's my understanding of the process. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I have strayed too far from reality.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can confirm that 5:2 fasting, alongside a LCHF diet the other days DOES work, I have managed to get my BG levels down low enough to that of a Non-diabetic! to say I'm happy is an understatement!!!! I have to see my Doctor this week to check that it is ok to come off the metformin (Diabetic Nurse wasn't able to give me permission) :)

Reactions: jonbvn

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sticking to my lchf diet, along with long cycles too and from work. Yesterday I did 3 longer cycles of about 6 miles each, followed by a further 3 miles after work at 10pm. So at least 21 miles. After work at 10.15 and the 3 mile cycle I was 5.5
Awake at 5am, tested 6.7
Before my Lchf lunch with half a Lidl roll with butter I was 6.5 lately I've been up to the 9's
No breakfast, but lunch on the days I work and a small tub of meats, egg, cheeses etc.
Sticking to fasting until about 8pm on my days off work (Thur, Fri and Sat this week). Feeling great, better than great. The Glimepiride 1mg is staying on the bathroom shelf meantime.
No cycling today though as there is a lot of rain. So maybe not so good readings tomorrow morning.