anyone reversed their type two diabetes to below the normal range in remission or reversed can it be

barakiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
please send me a private message if you have reversed type two or got down into normal range or remission any advise please

labrat53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a book published in the USA that claims that it's' author and others, have reversed their type 2 diabetes. This seems to be achieved by vigorous excercise routines and drastic dieting. All red meat is banned, and only white meat and oily fish is allowed. Unlimited fruit and veg is the apparent basis of this regime. All the cabbage you can eat, raw or cooked etc. I tried it for a while. True, I lost half a stone. Also true ... total exhaustion on a permanent basis and the boredom of the regime won in the end. The book was £47 plus £20 postage from the USA, and this would suggest that the obvious winner would be the author. Your choice. I've retired now, and my blood pressure today was 109 / 80. With a heart rate of 76, one Metformin a day must be doing ok. I'm sticking to that.

Reactions: bkr

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes.. Low Carb High Fat diet... simple filling food.
No need to PM you - a load of us here follow this way of eating and the site runs its own low carb program.
My details are in my signature.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Yes, following the LCHF diet. Results in my signature. I suppose I am on one metformin so technically some might argue it is not reversed however I take the metformin to stay young and beautiful when I stopped the metformin there was no difference to my BS control.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Same as the others - very low carb with some occasional fasting - which I'm convinced I couldn't do day in/day out without the support I receive from members of this forum

I wouldn't say I've reversed it, though, I have it under control for as long as I keep to a very low carb way of eating. I haven't tried it out yet but I strongly suspect that my BG would go back up to its old levels of I were to go back to the Eatwell Plate 'healthy carbs' diet I used to eat.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are one of the vast majority of T2D sufferers who became diabetic due to being overweight the "answer" is relatively simple.

Lose the weight as quickly as possible, especially the visceral fat around your organs.

There is a variety of methods you can use, from the Newcastle style ultra low calorie diets to Low Carb, but it appears that significant and rapid weight loss is one of the most important keys to achieving success.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to PM you.. Lots of people here have pushed our T2 into remission, including myself. Did you have any specific questions you would like help with ?

Reactions: bkr and letstalk1

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There's a book published in the USA that claims that it's' author and others, have reversed their type 2 diabetes. This seems to be achieved by vigorous excercise routines and drastic dieting. All red meat is banned, and only white meat and oily fish is allowed. Unlimited fruit and veg is the apparent basis of this regime. All the cabbage you can eat, raw or cooked etc. I tried it for a while. True, I lost half a stone. Also true ... total exhaustion on a permanent basis and the boredom of the regime won in the end. The book was £47 plus £20 postage from the USA, and this would suggest that the obvious winner would be the author. Your choice. I've retired now, and my blood pressure today was 109 / 80. With a heart rate of 76, one Metformin a day must be doing ok. I'm sticking to that.
That's a good anecdote from Labrat- the diet described would be difficult to stick to, so I think it's a good example for Bakariah to avoid. Also, no red meat but unlimited fruit looks like the opposite of what you want for best results. LCHF is easy to maintain and has lots of successful testimonials. I personally reversed my T2 with a kind of Low-Carb, Limited -fat diet that I put together before really knowing what LCHF was, but now I've learned about LCHF, it's basically the same thing.

Reactions: zand

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Maybe for a guideline, this list from Dr. Richard K Bernstein might be helpful. Dr. Bernstein is a low-carb advocate and there will be various opinions on his approach, but I think his list of foods to avoid would be good for someone looking to reverse T2

• Avoid all foods with added sugar or honey such as desserts, candies, and pastries; all foods made from grains and grain flours such as breads, cereals, pasta, and rice; all starchy vegetables such as potatoes, corn, carrots, peas, tomatoes, and beans; all fresh or preserved fruits and fruit juices; all dairy products except for butter, cream, and fermented cheeses.
So meat, butter, cheese, eggs, fish and green leafy/ brassica vegetables are the mainstay of what's left.

Reactions: dbr10

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Same as everyone else really, went Lchf and within 3 months lost weight, hba1c down to 32, ( non diabetic range), came off metformin.

Couldn't have done it without this forum, and the clear advice and guidance received. As I always say, it was the best mistake I ever made as I was actually looking for the other well known diabetes site in the uk, when came across this one.

Good luck with your diabetic journey whatever you decide.

Reactions: kokhongw and dbr10

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I decided to go low calorie, and then use the Newcastle diet, rather than LCHF.
Mainly as I wanted to be able to eat anything after reversing my diabetes, (which I did) as I am out a lot, and wanted to be able to simply buy and eat anywhere, rather than eating LCHF for life, which can prove difficult if there is no one selling it to me.

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Lower carb / healthy fat / vegan here. Have been in the non-diabetic range for over 3 years. The Diabetes Police might argue I am not in remission as I take two metformin a day, so I won't say that just in case. It's just a label anyway. As long as I am happy and healthy, that's what matters.

labrat53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lower carb / healthy fat / vegan here. Have been in the non-diabetic range for over 3 years. The Diabetes Police might argue I am not in remission as I take two metformin a day, so I won't say that just in case. It's just a label anyway. As long as I am happy and healthy, that's what matters.

Amen to that. A little
Of what you fancy does you good.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Oh yes, I forgot about them.
I guess I can't be reversed either, as I'm still on 500mg of Meformin.
(Must be a wonder drug if it's responsible for my normal BG readings though)

Reactions: zand and labrat53
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Oh yes, I forgot about them.
I guess I can't be reversed either, as I'm still on 500mg of Meformin.
(Must be a wonder drug if it's responsible for my normal BG readings though)
This is why I always tell my nurse how I have achieved my results. I don't want her thinking metformin tabs are magic beans!

Reactions: zand

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi Newcastle diet had my blood sugars within normal range in 6 weeks and I've kept them there with lchf for the last 10 months . The support here is the best!

Reactions: letstalk1

Hm112819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went low carb (approx 1200 calories), but not high fat and exercised daily (1 hr - 1 1/2 hr).

I've rapidly dropped from 17.5 - 13 stone, in 2 months. Although I'm cautious and don't push it, I now seem to be able to eat anything.

I don't think it constitutes a reversal, as i'd imagine putting the weight back on and stopping exercising would bring it back.

Good luck

Reactions: jonbvn