Should u get tested if family members have diabetes?

frankie7488

I'm not sure whether I should get tested to see if my blood levels are ok? However i bare many questions for example if a member of the family has diabetes does that make me a likely faCtor to have it? Can diabetes be prevented by a healthy diet? If yes, then how come a natural healthy people are diagnosed with diabetics? I think its because any one can develop it.
First post and very nervous . Anyone is welcome to respond.

Reactions: Freema

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My paternal grandmother had very late onset diabetes (don't know which one) My middle brother has T2 and so do I. My parents did not have it nor do my other three siblings.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well it is a bit more likely that one do become diabetic if family already have members with diabetes ... but many never gets diabetes anyway, but what could also in some people prevent that; is to keep doing sports and not eat gigantic amounts of high carb foods..

It can´t always be prevented .

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure whether I should get tested to see if my blood levels are ok? However i bare many questions for example if a member of the family has diabetes does that make me a likely faCtor to have it? Can diabetes be prevented by a healthy diet? If yes, then how come a natural healthy people are diagnosed with diabetics? I think its because any one can develop it.
There might be a genetic predisposition towards it. It wouldn't hurt to rule it out.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Type 2 is more genetic than Type 1, and some forms like MODY are very much genetic.

Do you have people in your family with diabetes? If so, which type? Do you have reason to think you might have diabetes?

frankie7488

Responding to post.
Yes, have a member who had quite bad diabetes.
Not sure what type. I think i show the signs but not sure i need to change my diet.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Responding to post.
Not sure what type. I think i show the signs but not sure i need to change my diet.

All diabetes can be bad :)

What signs do you think you're showing? How old are you?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are more known inherited genetic factors to type 2, but it is also more susceptible to environment. There is a thing called 'heritability' which is worked out by concordance between monozygotic (identical) and dizygotic (fraternal) twins, looking at if there is a difference in levels of incidence - identical twins have (almost) identical DNA, whereas fraternal twins are no more similar in their DNA than any other pair of siblings. Concordance is higher for type 2, but it is also much more dependent on the environment. If you have a risk allele for type 1 - e.g. HLA-B-DR3 or DR4 - you could get it no matter your environment, but if you have a risk allele for type 2, you can be more at risk, but you can decrease that risk depending on environment. I hope that makes sense! Although actually, T2 shows only about 10% more heritability than T1 when it comes down to it. Also, whilst there aren't many 'big' contributing alleles to T2, only lots of little ones that have been identified, anyway, the DR3 and DR4 HLA-B alleles contribute to a huge proportion of risk for T1.

I don't have the exact figures to hand, but whilst T2 shows very high heritability, when you break down the risk, for *most* people it works out at about 10% genetics and 90% environmental, although there are exceptions, so you see T2 families, where *everybody* has it, due to inheritance of some allele/alleles that haven't been identified yet.

Inheritance is a funny old thing to study - the best way is identical twins separated at birth, but even that isn't perfect, and it also isn't very ethical. Next Generation Sequencing Technologies are making it easier though.

Sorry for the essay :)

Edited to add that anyone who is really interested in the inheritance of T2D should look up the 'Pima Indian Study'. Fascinating stuff, although the original paper is not what you would call particularly readable.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Responding to post.
If you think you show symptoms of diabetes you need to get your blood glucose checked. Make an appointment with your GP.

I come from a family of diabetics. On my dad's side everybody has diabetes so yes, diabetes T2 can be inherited and you can't always do anything to stop it. You can however stop it from progressing by eating a low carb diet.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Having a family member with diabetes cetainly increases your risks. See this page http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-genetics.html. I have told the kids to get HBA1C checks done if the GP wants to do a blood test for any reason and if their HBA1c is above 31 to be proactive in changing their lifestyle. Google "50 shades of diabetes" to see why I have personally set the red flag at 31 for them. Other than that just watch out for any signs of diabetes like going to the loo a lot. If you click "home" from this page you will see a great many links to pages you may find informative according to your circumstances. Well done on being pro active. I find it difficult to answer the rest of your post whilst navigating your definition of healthy. For a lot of people with diabetes watching the carbs is part of the answer but someone without a gall bladder has to beware fat and others have problems processing protein. Only you can know what is healthy for you and you need to become an expert in you to know how to define your personal healthy diet.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's what my consultant told me when I was diagnosed - that there was more of a gentic element to Type 2.
If type 2, unlike type 1, is at least in part, a lifestyle thing then that is something that can be passed down in families. Overeating and inactive parents tend to have overeating and inactive children, could that be the reason rather than genes?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Overeating and inactive parents tend to have overeating and inactive children, could that be the reason rather than genes?
I would think as well as not rather than. As genetics and life style can play a part.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
anyway it is quite easy to rule out at GP so go there and have this blood sample taken..

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If type 2, unlike type 1, is at least in part, a lifestyle thing then that is something that can be passed down in families. Overeating and inactive parents tend to have overeating and inactive children, could that be the reason rather than genes?

I don't know as I'm Type 1, but I agree with @JohnEGreen that it's probably in addition to genetic risk not instead of.

Aquaruis

In my case my my mum and her side mostly have it. I do think its genes and also what kinda lifestyle you live.. I for instance was eating alot of sugar and sodas, hardly any excercise. x

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
No genes are definitely part of it. the university of exeter have identified some.

jason134

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
There is a history of type 2 diabetes and pancreatic cancer on my dads side of the family I read somewhere that chances of developing type 2 is higher if other family members have it and the same with pancreatic cancer