Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I am wondering why Dr Bernstein doesn't recognise LADA - I am a great admirer of his work and who better to teach us about diabetes than a doctor who has had it himself most of his life. But there are a couple of things he says that worry me a bit. Firstly, he doesn't seem to believe in LADA. He claims the majority of people diagnosed with LADA don't have it (I was listening to one of his university teleseminars) but he doesn't say what they actually do have (Type 1 or 2). He basically said it doesn't matter what kind of diabetes you have, the treatment is the same. However, I think most of us would disagree with this as the treatment for types 1 and 2 are different. I understand that the diet component would be the same for both but not the medication part. Unless he was referring to just the diet.

Any thoughts on this?

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I would like to see the link to his discussion of LADA. I listen to his webinars monthly and he does bring up a lot of differences with various kinds of diabetes and related health issues but basically you are right on the diet.

As for his opinions, he has one I can't agree with and that is that only brand name Metformin is best. I specifically take generics without food coloring or some additives because they do better for me, but then I'm me, not everyone. Also, he really only tursts two kinds of meters and I use a different one.

He is his own experience as a type 1 and having had extensive training PLUS all of his patients and he does seem not only open to specifying his reasons for things if you send in your question on his monthly webinar but also be open to changing his mind when the research or knowledge warrants it. He seems to have no charity for people who have not read his book, however.

I learned about him on this forum and I am very glad I did because I have learned a lot from him.

He has his own Forum, by the way

Yes I noticed he no longer recommends Mink Oil (for feet from memory). He now recommends coconut oil. Maybe I should send in the question about LADA!

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am wondering why Dr Bernstein doesn't recognise LADA - I am a great admirer of his work and who better to teach us about diabetes than a doctor who has had it himself most of his life. But there are a couple of things he says that worry me a bit. Firstly, he doesn't seem to believe in LADA. He claims the majority of people diagnosed with LADA don't have it (I was listening to one of his university teleseminars) but he doesn't say what they actually do have (Type 1 or 2). He basically said it doesn't matter what kind of diabetes you have, the treatment is the same. However, I think most of us would disagree with this as the treatment for types 1 and 2 are different. I understand that the diet component would be the same for both but not the medication part. Unless he was referring to just the diet.

Any thoughts on this?
Not sure about LADA, but he does recommend LC diets.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How can he say T1 and T2 are treated the same? T1 implies a lack of insulin production due to beta cell loss and T2 implies excess insulin production due to insulin resistance. For T1 it's insulin stimulating tablets or insulin and for T2s it's Metformin, certain injectables together with a low-carb diet to produce weight loss. Does this guy understand diabetes?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How can he say T1 and T2 are treated the same? T1 implies a lack of insulin production due to beta cell loss and T2 implies excess insulin production due to insulin resistance. For T1 it's insulin stimulating tablets or insulin and for T2s it's Metformin, certain injectables together with a low-carb diet to produce weight loss. Does this guy understand diabetes?

Well, he at least seems to have the same approach as the NHS then.
One size fits all.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
If you are forced to take the cheap route then One Size Fits All.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, he should have died by the mid seventies, so I guess so. He's not talking about the same medication but the same low carb diet to treat both.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From reading his book, he advocates a combination of diet, exercise and medication to all diabetics (details do, of course, vary for individuals) to maintain 'normal' blood glucose levels. His idea of 'normal' is lower than the NHS' idea of normal because he thinks that this will reduce/prevent the development of diabetic complications.

He probably doesn't see that recognising LADA is necessary. His priority seems to be for each individual diabetic is receiving the appropriate treatment to maintain their blood glucose at a level to prevent complications and maintain good health, not labels.

If you get a response from him, @Lesleywo I will be very interested to read it. :)

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, he should have died by the mid seventies, so I guess so. He's not talking about the same medication but the same low carb diet to treat both.
From his book Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution :

For Type II diabetes

Level 1 : Diet
Level 2 : Diet + exercise
Level 3 : Diet + exercise + oral hypoglycemic agent
Level 4 : Diet + exercise + oral hypoglycemic agent (possibly) + insulin injections

For Type I diabetes

Diet + exercise (questionable benefit) + insulin injections (MDI) + (rarely) oral hypoglycemic agents

Geoff

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From reading his book, he advocates a combination of diet, exercise and medication to all diabetics (details do, of course, vary for individuals) to maintain 'normal' blood glucose levels. His idea of 'normal' is lower than the NHS' idea of normal because he thinks that this will reduce/prevent the development of diabetic complications.

He probably doesn't see that recognising LADA is necessary. His priority seems to be for each individual diabetic is receiving the appropriate treatment to maintain their blood glucose at a level to prevent complications and maintain good health, not labels.

If you get a response from him, @Lesleywo I will be very interested to read it. :)
Yes, that explains his view very well.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm LADA but consider myself type 1 and the label is interchangeable to me.

I also follow his dietary recommendations. But not exercise. Oops.

Reactions: ickihun

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm LADA but consider myself type 1 and the label is interchangeable to me.

I also follow his dietary recommendations. But not exercise. Oops.
No, I'm having trouble following that too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Any thoughts on this?
I have been treated with tablets only which is the only variation to type1 treatment. However if any type1 was given my huge amounts of insulin, they would be dead.
Like any treatment it has to suit the individual patient.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In his book he details advice for type1s and then type2s but makes it clear the effects of uncontrolled diabetes needs treating the same.
I'm thankful he takes the time to understand type2 when his personal experience was initially as a type1 only. By listening to his type2 diabetics he can help them too.

I feel the same way.
We all have the disease through different reasons but making the patient stay safe and healthy applies to all types.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I'm having trouble following that too.
Are you agreeing with the dietary part and not the exercise?

Many will disagree but exercise does nothing good for my bs anymore. Especially strenuous. I keep things very mild and low key now. A nice stroll in the morning and some mild yoga stretching later in the day. I think spiking my bs to stupid places and injecting insulin is counterintuitive to excersise and my health. And let's not forget the random hypos that follow at no consistant timing. I'm just not up for the challenge these days. I like as much peace with D as I can get

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you agreeing with the dietary part and not the exercise?

Many will disagree but exercise does nothing good for my bs anymore. Especially strenuous. I keep things very mild and low key now. A nice stroll in the morning and some mild yoga stretching later in the day. I think spiking my bs to stupid places and injecting insulin is counterintuitive to excersise and my health. And let's not forget the random hypos that follow at no consistant timing. I'm just not up for the challenge these days. I like as much peace with D as I can get
Don't blame you. I stick to the LC diet quite well and have good intentions with excercise; but they don't usually last long.

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also listen to his monthly webinars. As I understand him he wants us to focus and treat our blood sugars rather than think about what kind of diabetes (type 1 / LADA)...treatment is very different between individuals, it all depends on how we approach our diabetes, food, exercise etc....

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Absolutely he understands diabetes. As a doctor treating diabetics, he's been a type 1 diabetic most of his life and from personal experience and excellent glucose control advocates a low carb diet, keeping insulin requirements as low as possible.

I can only assume he meant whether you are Type 1 or Type 2, the treatment, in terms of a low carb diet, is the same. Just not sure why he doesn't recognise LADA.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
His 'one size fits all' approach relates to diet, not medication. At the end of the day, all diabetics need good glucose control, whatever type. So in that sense, yes he has a one size fits all approach.
Well, he at least seems to have the same approach as the NHS then.
One size fits all.