Extended fasts

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After listening to "The Obesity Code" and "The Complete Guide To Fasting" in audiobooks, I did a 7 day fast and have since done a couple 2 days fasts and have been doing 24-36hour fasts off and on. Has anyone here done any fasting longer than 7 days?

I'm considering doing a 14 day fast as I'm going to Las Vegas at the end of September and want to be down to a more respectable weight. I also have an appointment with my dietician and Dr in September and want my bg and cholesterol numbers lower by then.

I am doing lchf so I'm hoping that will get me where I need to be both with blood work and weight.

Reactions: Ituen and Snapsy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've done a few 7 day fasts but not for a longer period.. may I ask what kind of fast you did as each person seems to have their own way of doing it. which is of course great but it does sometimes get a bit complicated. Did you eat anything or was it purely liquid? bone broth , water only , fat fast, egg fast?

Reactions: Snapsy

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@bulkbiker when I did my 7 day fast I did have coffee, green tea, broth and plenty of water. The coffee and tea only had a little bit on cream 1tbsp for coffee and just a couple drops in the tea.
Over the 7 days my bg numbers were anywhere from 3.8-8.5.

The second day and last day were the worst. The other days weren't really an issue. I dropped around 13 lbs but due to a lot of it being water, I gained about 7 1/2 back. I still consider it a success.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker when I did my 7 day fast I did have coffee, green tea, broth and plenty of water. The coffee and tea only had a little bit on cream 1tbsp for coffee and just a couple drops in the tea.
Over the 7 days my bg numbers were anywhere from 3.8-8.5.

The second day and last day were the worst. The other days weren't really an issue. I dropped around 13 lbs but due to a lot of it being water, I gained about 7 1/2 back. I still consider it a success.
Sounds great.. the second day is usually the worst as I have read your grehlin levels (the hunger hormone) are highest after 48 hours. I have 2 tbsp of cream in my coffee when fasting (or not for that matter) and use lactofree milk in my tea. Last time I did a 7 day I lost a lot of weight (around 12 pounds I recall) but then put it all back on again so haven't done one since. I now tend to eat once a day and this week am trying the egg fast to see how that works.
I usually get my lowest bloods on the third day then they seem to go back up a bit.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok.. although I wasn't very strict after the first couple of days..some bacon may have crept in..oops

Reactions: marathonmona

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The bacon, eggs, cheese and butter fast?

Is there a definition of fasting, maybe one that doesn't include eating until your satiated?
Just wondering here?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The bacon, eggs, cheese and butter fast?

Is there a definition of fasting, maybe one that doesn't include eating until your satiated?
Just wondering here?

I think the problem here maybe a misreading of the title of what bulkbiker is doing

Its an EGG FEST not and EGG FAST

fest as in eat a lot of them , not fast as in don't !

good luck with it bulk biker

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is where all the different conflicting ideas of what fasting is, come in.

A water fast is where you can drink as much water as you like, and nothing else.
A fruit fast is where you can eat as much fruit as you like, and nothing else.
People have also been known to fast on bread-and-water, anything but meat, or anything but meat and fish, etc. etc.
The term is very flexible.

So presumably an egg fast is where you can eat as many eggs as you like... although purists might object to the butter accompaniments... lol.

So, @bulkbiker did it turn into a bacon-and-egg fast? ;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is where all the different conflicting ideas of what fasting is, come in.

A water fast is where you can drink as much water as you like, and nothing else.
A fruit fast is where you can eat as much fruit as you like, and nothing else.
People have also been known to fast on bread-and-water, anything but meat, or anything but meat and fish, etc. etc.
The term is very flexible.

So presumably an egg fast is where you can eat as many eggs as you like... although purists might object to the butter accompaniments... lol.

So, @bulkbiker did it turn into a bacon-and-egg fast? ;)

Well it kinda finished when I went up to the Manchester conference.. and I only had bacon on one day honest...
Was more a test to see if it was achievable.. may try it again this week more strictly and chart everything..
So to be very precise it will be a tea with lactofree milk (45ml), coffee with double cream (triple shot americano with 2 tablespoons of cream), water along with eggs (usually poached because that's how I like them) probably 4 a day with butter and cheese, 1 tablespoon of butter per egg and about 4 oz of cheese grated over the top.

Reactions: Speedbird

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find eggs very, um... binding... so tend to always have them with veg. The thought of just eggs is a bit, um... daunting... for me. ;)
But if it works for you, then GO FOR IT!