T1 - Eating before running a 5K

drdubasik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all; I am Type 1 and started walkrunning consistently a year ago... I say walkrunning because I walk and run equal minutes during my workouts. Generally I walk 5 run 5 for a total of 60-75 minutes. I am doing my first 5k this weekend, but I am not sure how to prepare in terms of eating this week. Any suggestions or resources are much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @drdubasik I've recently completed a series of 15 mile walks which required a lot of monitoring to manage, before I set off I simply would carb up on cereal/toast to ensure I had sufficient carbs on board but as the walks took about 7 hours I would drop my basal rate too which was easy as I was on a pump. As you're out for an hour I think as long as you have carb loaded prior to exercise that this should carry you through, a good site for t1's who exercise is runsweet.co.uk which covers all sports.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you've been running for a year I'm not sure that a 5k requires a 7 day eating plan. It sounds like you will have regularly been doing about 5k so just eat as normal in the week before the race. If you're worried about dropping during the race think about some complex carbs before hand, but you're probably better off doing what you've normally been doing before a run for the last 12 months.

Given the weather, it is important to think about keeping well hydrated this week. If you're taking on a sensible bit of water in the few days before the race you don't have to suddenly drink loads immediately before the race so you're busting for a wee on the start line!

Good luck & enjoy it!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're going to burn around 300-500 calories during a 5k run. The glycogen stored in your liver can easily compensate for that.

If you were planning to run a sub-20 minute 5k, that would be one thing. However, if you're asking the question then it's not necessary in my opinion.

Reactions: azure

drdubasik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're going to burn around 300-500 calories during a 5k run. The glycogen stored in your liver can easily compensate for that.

If you were planning to run a sub-20 minute 5k, that would be one thing. However, if you're asking the question then it's not necessary in my opinion.
Thank you!

drdubasik

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you've been running for a year I'm not sure that a 5k requires a 7 day eating plan. It sounds like you will have regularly been doing about 5k so just eat as normal in the week before the race. If you're worried about dropping during the race think about some complex carbs before hand, but you're probably better off doing what you've normally been doing before a run for the last 12 months.

Given the weather, it is important to think about keeping well hydrated this week. If you're taking on a sensible bit of water in the few days before the race you don't have to suddenly drink loads immediately before the race so you're busting for a wee on the start line!

Good luck & enjoy it!
Thank you!