Advice

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
16.9 reading before bed, I'm disappointed with that as my levels have been dropping. This reading was 4 hours after my tea.

Maybe I over did it as I was starving and wanted something filling.

Frozen oven chips and reduced sugar beans with a chargrilled chicken piece and a Lidl protein roll.

Thats the first time I've went ott. But ive also been a bit irritable today esp when out shopping as I was frustrated with the things I could not buy to eat. That may have contributed.

Sorry for the moan, I just needed to tell someone.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
oh dear - chips and beans - with the roll as well that would be a substantial amount of carbs
I had chicken for dinner too - two thighs with four large mushrooms and a small amount of peas.
Being an old hand at this lark I had the chicken defrosted in the fridge, and I cook them in the Tefal hot air fryer, so they are so crispy and succulent - I do a whole kilo at a time, so there will be some for himself tomorrow when I am out all day at the local folk festival. I have ready made salad in the fridge also strawberries, but I am far too full to eat anything more today.
I'll probably take some celery and cream cheese with me tomorrow as I will be rushing about with little time to eat but I want to have something so as not to become hungry.
There are things you can eat, it just takes a little time to get yourself sorted out.

Reactions: Jc3131 and Prem51

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
oh dear - chips and beans - with the roll as well that would be a substantial amount of carbs
I had chicken for dinner too - two thighs with four large mushrooms and a small amount of peas.
Being an old hand at this lark I had the chicken defrosted in the fridge, and I cook them in the Tefal hot air fryer, so they are so crispy and succulent - I do a whole kilo at a time, so there will be some for himself tomorrow when I am out all day at the local folk festival. I have ready made salad in the fridge also strawberries, but I am far too full to eat anything more today.
I'll probably take some celery and cream cheese with me tomorrow as I will be rushing about with little time to eat but I want to have something so as not to become hungry.
There are things you can eat, it just takes a little time to get yourself sorted out.
I take a lot of filling and am a fussy eater. I won't eat anything that comes from the sea it can stay there.

Chicken is something I enjoy but its what to go with it is the problem. Same with any meals.

Even breakfast is causing a problem as I thought weetabix was fine until I read a few comments about it.

Anyway my sugars dropped to 11.4 this morning and I feel as if ive drank 10 pints of lager, wishful thinking with the lager.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jc3131 Don't beat yourself up about one meal. Remember too that you still don't know your diabetes type, so it could be that you're not Type 2. That would affect your blood sugar results.

Just move forward for now and don't dwell on that result :)

Whatever type you are, it's early days.

Reactions: Prem51 and Jc3131

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok cheers I just feel sort of trapped at the moment. Im dreading dinner as I don't have a clue. Im going to test myself soon and see what weetabix has done.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
16.9 reading before bed, I'm disappointed with that as my levels have been dropping. This reading was 4 hours after my tea.

Maybe I over did it as I was starving and wanted something filling.

Frozen oven chips and reduced sugar beans with a chargrilled chicken piece and a Lidl protein roll.

Thats the first time I've went ott. But ive also been a bit irritable today esp when out shopping as I was frustrated with the things I could not buy to eat. That may have contributed.

It's good to let it out, rather than let boil inside. Emotion will effect overall bgl and insulin effectiveness. Don't feel embarrassed if you need to let off some steam.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weetabix with semi skimmed milk and blueberries aren't my friend. Reading was 17.8

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Jc3131
It sounds like ur having a bit of a rough time but what you have to realise is that we all went through this stage at some point. With regards to food it is so trial and error and given you haven't been given a complete diagnosis yet you are fighting an unknown battle.
The worst thing is you clearly wasn't to do the right think but at the moment it's not clear how to do this.
I hope you get your results from Docs soon then hopefully you can deal with things better. As am sure with most people I've been diabetic for 7 years and I'm still working out how different foods affect my blood sugars. Good luck

B

badcat

Thanks for the replies. Ive just been to lidl and bought some high protein rolls, nuts wholeweat pasta, blueberries and these low sugar rice cakes. I will look into everything that you have said and take my time researching things.

I had two grilled burgers from a pizza shop, no bread just the burgers with salad. I thought it would push levels up but i checked two hours after ans its dropped slightly to 13.0. Hopefully it will keep dropping and i will start to loose this strange sickly feeling that comes and goes.

The weight loss is probably down to the fact i was drinking and liberally 10 mins later i was going to the toilet and double was coming out. Also before the diagnosis I had cut down on eating a lot of things that weren't great. Hopefully now the weight will stabilise.

My main worry is my eyes. They are blurry and a few weeks ago I had a normal eye test and found out i needed specs for short sightness and an astigmatism in one eye. I noticed one day last week my sight was a lot better but at moment it is a bit off especially in one eye. Everything seems strange when i look at things in the distance.

Cheers John
Our eyes are affected by the amount of sugar in our bodily fluids. Some effects (retinopathy) take quite a time to develop, although even these can be moderated by tight blood sugar control - eg when I was diagnosed first eye test showed I had Retinopathy but since then and with generally tight control, theresults come back with either "some signs of early diabetic changes" (background retinopathy) or "clear"
Our eyes are also affected in the very short term as the shape of the lens in the eye changes with different levels of sugar. As your control improves you will almost certainly find your eyesight get a tad blurrier - you will need your eyes retesting and your glasses presciption changing - this is a good thing

SugarDaddy91

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wasps. Terrified of wasps. And retinopathy.
Hello! Recently got diagnosed myself and thought I'd give some tips I've found useful in this period.
Also had blurry vision and it has taken about 2 weeks for it to start normalizing.
I noted you say you work night shifts. Is it possible to have a talk with your boss about that? I read a study not too long ago stating that blood sugar levels have a tendency to be a bit more chaotic in night-time workers. Although I am sure some of the veterans here can help work around that.
Around my country (Norway) it seems a lot of diabetics have a tendency to look at "sugar types" and how many grams of those there are in there. Thing is; something can not be classified as a sugar, but still can have a high GI impact. (Cause blood sugar to rise; eg. potatoes or rice) as they are quickly broken down into sugars. Then again, you can have something that's 100% sugar types and it could be a sugar-alcohol, like sorbitol, which is an artificial sweetener that does not impact your sugar levels.
This can all be quite confusing, but from what I have found out there is a lot of vegetable eating involved in the LCHF.

For example, I stay away from: Corns, grains, flours, rice, potatoes, fruits and sweets. Green, sour apples are said to be good in moderation.

I do LOVE eating: Avocadoes, squash, lettuce, feta cheese (my guilty pleasure is sun-dried tomatoes, but the oil/water is loaded with sugar) and wash or avoid canned goods altogether as they are sometimes in sugary water.

I have also started eating some asparagus which is actually pretty good, baked in the oven with butter, salt and pepper.
My partner actually made me a cake yesterday with artificial sweeteners. I used a sugar-alcohol (Erythritol) which is great for baking. I've realized that there are so many work-arounds and I do not really see it as a limitation, except that I miss my occasional beer.

EDIT: about the eyes. I just started working at an eye-policlinic and I've pumpted my doctor for answers. As stated above, it will take time for those eyes to normalize. I still recommend going to the doctor's to have those eyes checked, but do not worry. In most cases it's all about the lens being swollen are shrunk. You'll get near-sighted and short sighted from day-to-day and my refractometer has perscribed me 6 different glasses the last weeks. I've also discovered that having diabetes does not mean you will get retinopathy. With good control it could be avoided entirely, but you have to do good work. Sometimes, though, it can cause retinopathy after some time. The older type 2 diabetics we're seeing at the eye policlinic who have retinopatyhy are often badly regulated and have gotten bad or little advice from their GP about how to control the blood sugar. This forum has taught me loads and in my opinion, knowledge is half the battle, so do keep reading!

Last edited:

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks sugardaddy91.

I worked nights for 9 years, struggling at times and feeling physically sick because of tiredness. I went onto dayshift about 3 months ago. I felt lethargic at first as my body was adapting to normality. Then I felt good in myself. Then boom, I was all over the place. Poor vision at times, sickly feelings, tiredness and the need to drink and then pee straight away.

At tge moment the Dr has not really gave me any info bar the very basic. I was told I was going to see a dietician soon. Sooner the better as I'm wasting away.

Yesterday my sugar levels were erratic from 11.4 in morning to 17 after breakfast and lunch. It calmed a bit at bedtime to 12.4.

Today its at its lowest 10.2 but ive had toast with peanut butter on. The weight watchers seeded danish was the lowest for carbs and sugar so I will have gone up.

I'm trying my best but still lost off. I think going for a little longer without a snack is not helping. I don't know what to snack on.

Dr is phoning tomorrow and i know I'll be put on 80mg
gliclazide twice a day.

Cheers for advice it's all appreciated.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well dr said I am going i right direction. He's got me on 80 mg gliclazide and 500mg metformin before breakfast and 40 mg Gliclazide before tea.

My readings are a bit erratic between 10.4 and 16. The latest test has me at 16.7 and that was before tea. I am going wrong somewhere. Need to try a different approach. I feel that I've just been told I've got diabetes, and to get on with it with a small fact sheet for reference.

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Jc3131

I felt very disheartened when I was first diagnosed and confused given the lack of info, I'm not saying this is the best way to deal with it but actually there is sooo much information that if you were given it all when u first were diagnosed it would be way too much.
You need to be realistic your not going to get your sugars right straight away and unfortunately just when you think you are getting them right something will change. The most important thing is that you are enthusiastic about doing the best job you can, well done so far

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well dr said I am going i right direction. He's got me on 80 mg gliclazide and 500mg metformin before breakfast and 40 mg Gliclazide before tea.

My readings are a bit erratic between 10.4 and 16. The latest test has me at 16.7 and that was before tea. I am going wrong somewhere. Need to try a different approach. I feel that I've just been told I've got diabetes, and to get on with it with a small fact sheet for reference.

You're not necessarily going wrong. Please don't blame yourself. Firstly, you might be Type 1, in which case you'll probably need different meds; secondly, it's very early days for you.

Be kind to,yourself and give yourself time :)

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well dr has put me on 80 mg Gliclazide and 500 metformin on a morning and 40 mg Gliclazide and 500 metformin at night.

Ive been averaging aroumd the 12mmol mark with a few spikes. Ive just done a reading there and i was 8.2mmol the lowesr by far. This lower reading is while im only on 500mg metformin as I dont start the double dose until tonight.

As for what tyoe I am the Dr said the blood test is not a guarantee for what type I am. We will find out over the next few months. Hopefully the tablets and diet will help me reduce my levels even more.

Feel a bit more positive now with that result.

Ive also tried Greek yoghurt for the first time and I love it. Don't know why ive never tried it before.

Cheers

John

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well dr has put me on 80 mg Gliclazide and 500 metformin on a morning and 40 mg Gliclazide and 500 metformin at night.

Ive been averaging aroumd the 12mmol mark with a few spikes. Ive just done a reading there and i was 8.2mmol the lowesr by far. This lower reading is while im only on 500mg metformin as I dont start the double dose until tonight.

As for what tyoe I am the Dr said the blood test is not a guarantee for what type I am. We will find out over the next few months. Hopefully the tablets and diet will help me reduce my levels even more.

Feel a bit more positive now with that result.

Ive also tried Greek yoghurt for the first time and I love it. Don't know why ive never tried it before.

Cheers

John
Ive just done another test 5.3mmol. No bread today.

Reactions: BeccyB and Prem51

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Maybe I over did it

Don't know if you're type 1 on Insulin or type 2 not on insulin but the odd time I run that high I give myself a second shot of fast acting insulin so it doesn't remain high throughout the night. Easy for me to say as I've had years of practice.

Yesterday for dinner I had one boneless chicken breast, a little bit of spinach and a glass of dry red wine - I was 7.8 before going to sleep and I was 4.6 in the morning. The hardest thing I've ever done is drastically cut down on what I call the bad carbs like breads and potatoes while replacing them with green vegetables. When all is said and done it makes a big difference for some people.

Good luck!

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the moment im on type 2 medication. The big difference today is that I have had the energy to go out for a few brisk walks. Maybe thats helped me lower my bg today.

I have been eating a lot of vegetables and mainly chicken and it sort of fills me up. I'll know more when I see the dietician.

Reactions: BeccyB and Prem51

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For food ideas check out the book "the 8 week blood sugar diet". I found it invaluable for meal ideas when I was first diagnosed

Reactions: Jc3131 and Prem51